Jump to topic:

RFD for Animal Testing Debate

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 5:07:59 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
This is an RFD for this debate: http://www.debate.org...
It is a debate between AshleyAxline (Con) and Lannan13 (Pro).

Burdens

The BOP is shared here. The resolution is simply "Animal Testing" meaning that I am forced to try and interpret what the resolution means and look at it in accordance with Con and Pro"s round 1. It appears that we are looking at the issue of animal testing to be in regards to whether or not animal testing should be accepted within society. Con argues that animal testing is wrong and shouldn"t be accepted within society. Pro argues that it is necessary and should be accepted in society. Given the normative nature of the resolution, I view the BOP as shared, as I initially stated.

Framework

Given that I am now viewing the burdens as shared both sides need a framework (or else I will be forced to buy the other sides). Pro presents a framework of utilitarianism. Con has no such framework. Con offers a minor critique of utilitarianism however a mitigated framework is better than no framework (which is what Con offered), ergo, I accept the onset of utilitarianism for this debate.

Applying the Framework

In applying the framework I am given arguments by Pro first, as he provided the framework.

Pro shows that almost all medical breakthroughs have come from animal testing. This is extremely applicable and beneficial under the framework since he also provides strongly sourced statistics showing the the lives saved from various illnesses. The large figures help to show that the greatest happiness is achieved which is the requirement to meet the goal of the framework. The fact that the cures have help "millions and millions" is also highly beneficial to Pro as these are difficult figures to compete with since not only does he have to show a net decline in happiness but he also has to show that animal lives matter and are equal to human lives. This is very difficult to achieve (which is why I highly recommend that Con sets out an alternative framework or philosophical philosophy next time to counter utilitarianism).

Con drops the argument. Pro extends.

Con states that the the sacrifice of the innocent animal being tortured means that under the framework it produces a net negative happiness. He makes no attempt at refuting the statistics though which means that I"m still viewing Pro"s argument as preferable given that he shows that more happiness is produced. Con continues by stating that the majority of these experiments fail. Unfortunately, the fact that lannan"s statistics go unrefuted means that I am forced to buy that more happiness is still being achieved through animal experimentation.

Pro correctly refutes Con"s claim that animals, under the framework of utility have a diminished impact meaning that the millions of humans that Pro cites originally.
Under the framework Pro wins. Given that I am given no alternative I am looking at this debate from the onset of utilitarianism and given that the framework of utility goes in Pro"s favor I vote for him based on this premise alone.

Conclusion

The decision is simple. The framework of utility works in Pro's favor. Con offers no alternative so it goes in Pro's favor. I buy the framework. Pro's arguments are superior to Con's in proving that the framework of utility works in his favor. Given that it does the debate onset goes in Pro's favor meaning that I vote for Pro!
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 5:09:00 PM
What is an RFD? What's the point of posting these in the forums and not in the actual debate?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 5:23:27 PM
Thanks.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 5:27:12 PM
At 4/22/2016 5:09:00 PM, Vaarka wrote:
What is an RFD?

An RFD is a Reason For Decision (for a vote on a debate).

What's the point of posting these in the forums and not in the actual debate?

On the debate the text box character limit is 1000 characters. Many people use the forums or a google docs link to post their votes as there are a considerably higher amount of characters to use in the forums and there are unlimited characters in google docs.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 5:33:24 PM
At 4/22/2016 5:27:12 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 4/22/2016 5:09:00 PM, Vaarka wrote:
What is an RFD?

An RFD is a Reason For Decision (for a vote on a debate).

What's the point of posting these in the forums and not in the actual debate?

On the debate the text box character limit is 1000 characters. Many people use the forums or a google docs link to post their votes as there are a considerably higher amount of characters to use in the forums and there are unlimited characters in google docs.

Nvm, didn't realize these were for votes.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya