Jump to topic:

There's thunder

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 5:54:10 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I'm scared of thunder, and there's a thunderstorm outside. What should I do?

Let's look at it like the people who make our achievement testing questions do. For the bible portion, every year we get the same sample question:
Debbie was afraid of a storm. She was scared that the storm would flood the earth. According to God's promises, what should Debbie do?
[A] Call her friend
[B] Trust in God's promises
[C] Hide in the closet
[D] Sing a hymn

Gee, I wonder what Debbie should do (circles C).
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 9:52:01 PM
At 4/22/2016 5:54:10 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Let's look at it like the people who make our achievement testing questions do. For the bible portion, every year we get the same sample question:
Debbie was afraid of a storm. She was scared that the storm would flood the earth. According to God's promises, what should Debbie do?
[A] Call her friend
[C] Hide in the closet
[D] Sing a hymn

Buy some earmuffs to block out the sound.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 11:54:34 PM
At 4/22/2016 9:52:01 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

[A] Call her friend
[C] Hide in the closet
[D] Sing a hymn

Directions unclear: got foot stuck in a nuclear cloud plant
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2016 12:06:47 AM
At 4/22/2016 11:54:34 PM, Vaarka wrote:

[A] Call her friend
[C] Hide in the closet
[D] Sing a hymn

You should be scared if humans are modifying the weather, but if they are not and the thunder is caused by God, then you should listen intently every time it thunders, and think of how it sounds like God is bowling. Try to figure out how many pins he knocked down, based on the sound of the thunder.
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2016 12:20:14 AM

[A] Call her friend
[C] Hide in the closet
[D] Sing a hymn

I don't mind thunderstorms as long as they don't cut the power. I hate not being able to see.
Have no regrets.
breakingamber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2016 12:20:28 AM
At 4/23/2016 12:06:47 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 4/22/2016 11:54:34 PM, Vaarka wrote:

[A] Call her friend
[C] Hide in the closet
[D] Sing a hymn

You should be scared if humans are modifying the weather, but if they are not and the thunder is caused by God, then you should listen intently every time it thunders, and think of how it sounds like God is bowling. Try to figure out how many pins he knocked down, based on the sound of the thunder.

Notice: If you haven't read Steelheart or Calamity, then you won't get this joke:

Cody: Y'all know that God was stolen from the Scottish. We are GODS!!!! *zaps Emmarie into oblivion*

Then he goes bowling.
MAY THE WRATH OF THE MODS BE UPON YOU!
- Master Elodin

"When will [Obliteration] learn that Funtimes' plan of saving/destroying the world with pancakes is the only way? "
"She wouldn't even have to make real pancakes! Just the batter, and Obliteration could cook it with his powers! OBLITERATION, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TALENTS"
- Voidus and TwiLyghtSansSparkles

"An Epic stage magician and a zombie dinosaur? She sure as Braize won"t pull the line there!"
- Edgedancer
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2016 12:22:13 AM
At 4/23/2016 12:20:14 AM, Opsianos wrote:

[A] Call her friend
[C] Hide in the closet
[D] Sing a hymn

I don't mind thunderstorms as long as they don't cut the power. I hate not being able to see.

But thunder is scaaaryyyy

Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2016 12:25:48 AM
At 4/23/2016 12:22:13 AM, Vaarka wrote:

[A] Call her friend
[C] Hide in the closet
[D] Sing a hymn

I actually try to measure the amount of time it takes for the thunder to roll after the lightning. Sometimes it takes over 30 seconds. Real trippy.

Are you scared of getting struck or just the loudness (probably the latter)?
Have no regrets.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2016 12:30:24 AM
At 4/23/2016 12:25:48 AM, Opsianos wrote:

[A] Call her friend
[C] Hide in the closet
[D] Sing a hymn

I actually try to measure the amount of time it takes for the thunder to roll after the lightning. Sometimes it takes over 30 seconds. Real trippy.

Neither. It just scares me...

Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2016 12:36:00 AM
At 4/23/2016 12:30:24 AM, Vaarka wrote:
At 4/23/2016 12:25:48 AM, Opsianos wrote:

[A] Call her friend
[C] Hide in the closet
[D] Sing a hymn

Neither. It just scares me...

*scratches out "therapist" from possible future careers*
Have no regrets.