Total Posts:194|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

It's Been 1 Year Since I Joined DDO so AMA

MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:22:11 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Hey, I joined DDO exactly 1 year ago, and I've never done an unbound "Ask Me Anything," so AMA.

You can even be inappropriate/personal/argumentative/hostile I don't really care...AMA.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,653
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:39:31 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 1:22:11 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
Hey, I joined DDO exactly 1 year ago, and I've never done an unbound "Ask Me Anything," so AMA.

You can even be inappropriate/personal/argumentative/hostile I don't really care...AMA.

Do any of the anti-science conversations that you've had with people personally in your life compare with those you've had with fundamentalists on this site?
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:49:45 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Do any of the anti-science conversations that you've had with people personally in your life compare with those you've had with fundamentalists on this site?

Almost exactly.
You may know that I'm a teacher and ANY time I've introduced concepts of evolution or cosmology, precisely the same conversations I've had with students pop up on this site...it's almost uncanny.
I've even been debating someone online about a particular topic and, nearly word for word, the same conversation came up in my lesson for that day.

This was the reason I joined the site in the first place, and yes, the conversations are mirrors of those in real life.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,653
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:52:24 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 1:49:45 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
Do any of the anti-science conversations that you've had with people personally in your life compare with those you've had with fundamentalists on this site?

Almost exactly.
You may know that I'm a teacher and ANY time I've introduced concepts of evolution or cosmology, precisely the same conversations I've had with students pop up on this site...it's almost uncanny.
I've even been debating someone online about a particular topic and, nearly word for word, the same conversation came up in my lesson for that day.

This was the reason I joined the site in the first place, and yes, the conversations are mirrors of those in real life.

Interesting. What age range do you typically teach?
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 2:06:42 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Interesting. What age range do you typically teach?

9-12 grade which is anywhere from 14-20 years old, but the majority are between 15-17 years old.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,653
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 2:16:16 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 2:06:42 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
Interesting. What age range do you typically teach?

9-12 grade which is anywhere from 14-20 years old, but the majority are between 15-17 years old.

Do you find that holding a position of authority has an influence on their reception and/or acceptance of your arguments and explanations? I imagine if it did, it would create a stark contrast from what you experience here, where you are perceived as an authority.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,653
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 2:17:32 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Sorry, typo...

At 6/1/2016 2:16:16 PM, Chaosism wrote:
where you *are perceived as an authority.

*aren't
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 2:26:47 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Do you find that holding a position of authority has an influence on their reception and/or acceptance of your arguments and explanations?

Yeah, of course, but in some cases the position of authority is somewhat of a deterrent to opening their minds, in fact, many of my students are brought up to reject most authority (I don't necessarily disagree with that) and dismiss much of what I say.

Other times of course, the authority works in my favor and students consider me a resource for scientific information *because* i have the curriculum and the immediate authority to help/hurt their future in academia...

I imagine if it did, it would create a stark contrast from what you experience here, where you are perceived as an authority.

I'm perceived as an authority here?
Sweet, if that's the case, but I think most people here simply can dismiss what I'm saying because they hide behind the internet, i.e. they don't really need to answer me as one may need to face-to-face.

What I'm saying is that on the internet, me as an authority or not, people are much more likely to dismiss facts because of the lack of interpersonal repercussions...they can hide better than IRL.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,653
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 2:35:00 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 2:26:47 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
Do you find that holding a position of authority has an influence on their reception and/or acceptance of your arguments and explanations?

Yeah, of course, but in some cases the position of authority is somewhat of a deterrent to opening their minds, in fact, many of my students are brought up to reject most authority (I don't necessarily disagree with that) and dismiss much of what I say.

Other times of course, the authority works in my favor and students consider me a resource for scientific information *because* i have the curriculum and the immediate authority to help/hurt their future in academia...

I imagine if it did, it would create a stark contrast from what you experience here, where you are perceived as an authority.

I'm perceived as an authority here?
Sweet, if that's the case, but I think most people here simply can dismiss what I'm saying because they hide behind the internet, i.e. they don't really need to answer me as one may need to face-to-face.

That was a mistake on my part (see previous post), my bad. :)

What I'm saying is that on the internet, me as an authority or not, people are much more likely to dismiss facts because of the lack of interpersonal repercussions...they can hide better than IRL.

Definitely. Alright, one more Q and I'll be outta your hair. Have any of your personally held beliefs (including scientific knowledge) changed or been altered as a result of your interactions on this site?
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 2:46:51 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Definitely. Alright, one more Q and I'll be outta your hair.

Sweet irony!
I'm bald, and you're the only one responding to this, so don't feel that you're "in my hair" in any sense of the notion.

Have any of your personally held beliefs (including scientific knowledge) changed or been altered as a result of your interactions on this site?

Yeah, they've been emboldened due to the intense ignorance of basic scientific concepts, but in an effort to display basic facts, I've learned a lot of things I otherwise wouldn't have searched for and I now wish to learn more about "the other side" of the argument...the opposition fascinates me now, as opposed to it just bothering me.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,653
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 2:54:56 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 2:46:51 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
Definitely. Alright, one more Q and I'll be outta your hair.

Sweet irony!
I'm bald, and you're the only one responding to this, so don't feel that you're "in my hair" in any sense of the notion.

...and I actually had the text "(assuming you aren't bald)" in my reply, but I deleted it before submitting it. Damn!!

Have any of your personally held beliefs (including scientific knowledge) changed or been altered as a result of your interactions on this site?

Yeah, they've been emboldened due to the intense ignorance of basic scientific concepts, but in an effort to display basic facts, I've learned a lot of things I otherwise wouldn't have searched for and I now wish to learn more about "the other side" of the argument...the opposition fascinates me now, as opposed to it just bothering me.

I can relate to this.
Beauty_Of_Insanity
Posts: 70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 2:58:20 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 1:22:11 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
Hey, I joined DDO exactly 1 year ago, and I've never done an unbound "Ask Me Anything," so AMA.

You can even be inappropriate/personal/argumentative/hostile I don't really care...AMA.

Do you think it is impossible for a creationist to have their logical reasons for being so?

You're a science teacher?
Best Commentary/Replies:

"You forget: Im a twisted bastard."
-imabench-

"Young people in their teens and twenties think that life sucks. Life hasn't even begun to -censored- you yet, suck it up bitches."
-sadolite-

////////////

Interpersonal Intelligence Level: Mild Mental Retardation
Legit Friend Count: 0
Intelligence: Freakin' Brilliant
MLG Level: Dis game iz 2 eazy...
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 3:22:43 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Do you think it is impossible for a creationist to have their logical reasons for being so?

Nope.
As long as they're not using the argument from ignorance or other logical fallacies, one could develop a logical case for creation, not necessarily the christian creator, but some sort of agent in designing things...who knows?

You're a science teacher?

I teach science all the time.
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 5:57:45 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 5:38:47 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 6/1/2016 1:22:11 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
HOM?

We would definitely get along IRL, as you seem really intelligent and cool.
I love your passion for the topics you've mastered, and though my profile doesn't indicate it, i actually have very strong libertarian leanings, so I agree with most of what you say.

Your debates have greatly improved over your time here, and I've always thought that your RFDs were great...excellent even, so thanks for that.

You also show a great desire to learn more about things you may not have otherwise considered, and your mind is very open to new ideas...it's refreshing, which speaks to your invigorating youth.

But about that.

When we have discussions on DDO and through reading your debates, I can't help but notice how adult-like everything you post seems.
It's kinda scary.
I must express my skepticism in your age, simply because "The UK's school system must be better" doesn't sway me on this...but I also don't have any reason to believe that your deceitful, so you can see my dilemma.

Either way, it doesn't really matter, because for a 14-year-old OR for a 40-year-old, your debate skills are above average, your contributions to this site are meaningful and appreciated, and you show a passion for debate that encompasses the intent of this site.

You seem like a pretty cool guy, and I hope you keep learning and debating, regardless of your age...
famousdebater
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 6:10:11 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 5:57:45 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
At 6/1/2016 5:38:47 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 6/1/2016 1:22:11 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
HOM?

Thanks for the in depth HOM.

We would definitely get along IRL, as you seem really intelligent and cool.
I love your passion for the topics you've mastered, and though my profile doesn't indicate it, i actually have very strong libertarian leanings, so I agree with most of what you say.

Your debates have greatly improved over your time here, and I've always thought that your RFDs were great...excellent even, so thanks for that.

Thanks. I'm trying to work on improving the quality on my debating and voting ability.

You also show a great desire to learn more about things you may not have otherwise considered, and your mind is very open to new ideas...it's refreshing, which speaks to your invigorating youth.

Thanks again.

But about that.

When we have discussions on DDO and through reading your debates, I can't help but notice how adult-like everything you post seems.
It's kinda scary.

Yeah, I try to stay professional and adult-like in debating and voting.

I must express my skepticism in your age, simply because "The UK's school system must be better" doesn't sway me on this...but I also don't have any reason to believe that your deceitful, so you can see my dilemma.

Either way, it doesn't really matter, because for a 14-year-old OR for a 40-year-old, your debate skills are above average, your contributions to this site are meaningful and appreciated, and you show a passion for debate that encompasses the intent of this site.

Lol, thanks.

You seem like a pretty cool guy, and I hope you keep learning and debating, regardless of your age...

Thanks, I definitely try to continue to learn new things from this site and from debating.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 6:28:52 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I guess I'll ask some questions now.

Have you ever believed in God?

Have you ever had any jobs other than teaching?

Do you believe in objective morality?

Have you ever considered any other theories for the origin of the universe other than the big bang theory?

Have you learnt anything new from DDO?

Have you changed any of your stances on any issues as a result of anything you've read on DDO?

Do you believe that the world would be a better place without religion?

On a scale from 1 to 5, one is weak, 5 is strong, how sure are you that God does not exist?

What would it take for you to believe in God?

Do you believe in free will?
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 7:06:21 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 1:22:11 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
Hey, I joined DDO exactly 1 year ago, and I've never done an unbound "Ask Me Anything," so AMA.

You can even be inappropriate/personal/argumentative/hostile I don't really care...AMA.

It says on your profile that you are a teacher. What subject do you teach? And do you enjoy teaching? What issues do you have with the education system and how would you propose fixing it?
famousdebater
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 8:22:18 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Thoughts? https://en.wikipedia.org...(cosmology)#Criticisms
The link isn't being produced properly so you'll have to add the end bit to the URL in order for the correct page to load up.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 8:25:28 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 8:22:18 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Thoughts? https://en.wikipedia.org...(cosmology)#Criticisms
The link isn't being produced properly so you'll have to add the end bit to the URL in order for the correct page to load up.

That link messed up as well. Just combine this https://en.wikipedia.org... and _(cosmology)#Criticisms
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 12:02:31 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
It says on your profile that you are a teacher. What subject do you teach?

I'm certified in chemistry, physics, and biology, but I teach whatever the need is, like I taught earth science last semester, and I used to teach a course called matter and energy, but they got rid of that course, so for the most part I teach bio, basic chemistry, and some other science that's in need within the department.

And do you enjoy teaching?

For the first 6 years, I really did, but these past two years I've gotten pretty burned out.
I guess I still enjoy watching that moment when a student finally gets a concept they simply couldn't understand before.

What issues do you have with the education system and how would you propose fixing it?

Well, when you want to see a change in the school system, it's like watching grass grow, in that by the time it's time to reap the benefits of the initiative, technology/curriculum/overall educational demands have changed and the initiative process begins a new, and it's kind of like we're always building an airplane in the sky and we asymptotically never reach that intended educational goal...they system is slow to evolve with society/societal demands.

The fix?
That's a tougher question.
We need to model how modern successful companies, like google or apple, train their employees and apply it to student learning.
Kick out the old teacher dinosaurs and allow for heavily digital, modern-society-goal-oriented products from our students and make those products the testing of their retention.
Who knows though?
I may be too pie in the sky with this one.
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 1:45:47 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 6:28:52 PM, famousdebater wrote:
I guess I'll ask some questions now.

Word.

Have you ever believed in God?

Yes.
I was raised Jewish, I even had a bar mitzvah, and whenever something bad would happen to me, I'd always be like "adonai, why are you messin' with me?"
Ah my youth...

Have you ever had any jobs other than teaching?

Yup.
We American teachers only teach 10 months out of the year, so we always need summer jobs.
Here are a few I've had:
Landscaper, cook, camp counselor (similar to teaching really), web designer (specifically for weddings and events), custodian, and I was a photographer at the Picture People, which is a subsidiary of Hallmark (the greeting card people) that takes "quality" photos of kids and families at malls in America...so glad I'm out of that gig.

Do you believe in objective morality?

Yessir.
Human skin objectively is destroyed at 165 degrees Fahrenheit (convert to Celsius for your Brit brain) no matter who you are, and this stimulus is objectively causes suffering and is immoral to impart on another human (barring medical necessities)...it's objectively immoral to do so, therefore actions that lead AWAY from human skin reaching that temperature are objectively moral.

Have you ever considered any other theories for the origin of the universe other than the big bang theory?

Yeah, like I had always thought that our universe was likely eternal without a beginning UNTIL I went to college and met physicists...the debates I had back then...

Have you learnt anything new from DDO?

It's almost immeasurable how much I've acquired, simply from attacks on my understandings that forced me to look up things I otherwise would never have looked up...you see some open debate on something with which you're unfamiliar and the competitive drive just really helps you learn an unknown concept quickly and substantively.

Have you changed any of your stances on any issues as a result of anything you've read on DDO?

Not on god, evolution, or the cosmos, but on political approaches to problems and societal theory I've become more of a moderate libertarian, and I have a few liberal government leanings on particular concepts.

Do you believe that the world would be a better place without religion?

Which one?
I think the world would be better without wishful/gullible thinking and a general shift in more critical thinking overall.

But would the world be better without Jainism or Heliolatry?
I'm not ready to say that.

On a scale from 1 to 5, one is weak, 5 is strong, how sure are you that God does not exist?

Which god?
Christian/Jew/Muslim - 4.99999...

What would it take for you to believe in God?

Which one?
Christian/Jew/Muslim -A physical or contingent on the physical demonstration of the god, replication of this demonstration, and accurate predictions made by understanding the demonstrated and subsequently replicated mechanism uniquely indicative of this demonstrated god.

Do you believe in free will?

Yes, but I've also said, if it's the case that our free will is merely an illusion because there's something externally/intrinsically controlling us, well then I'll use my free will to reject that claim.
Jerry947
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 2:32:47 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Do you believe in objective morality?

Yessir.
Human skin objectively is destroyed at 165 degrees Fahrenheit (convert to Celsius for your Brit brain) no matter who you are, and this stimulus is objectively causes suffering and is immoral to impart on another human (barring medical necessities)...it's objectively immoral to do so, therefore actions that lead AWAY from human skin reaching that temperature are objectively moral.

I thought you said you were going to debate that point differently since we had our first debate.
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 2:37:49 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 8:22:18 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Thoughts? https://en.wikipedia.org...(cosmology)#Criticisms

So the problems they're referring to with inflation had nothing to do with whether or not the universe is currently expanding (hubble constant + cosmological constant) rather whether or not the early periods of inflation are as rapid as the theory suggests.

I think prior to 2010, before the WMAP clearly indicated the quantum fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background radiation, the criticisms of hyperinflation were *slightly* valid because we couldn't clearly show that large scale structures were direct macroscopic renditions of quantum fluctuations, though the COBE probe in 1992 did show the fluctuations, the images were fuzzy and one could maybe have questioned it.

But in 2010, the QF were clearly detected by the WMAP, and one can view it at NASA.
http://wmap.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Also, in February of this year, the final confirmation, in my opinion, was the detection of a signal that confirms gravitational waves, a predicted phenomenon of inflation.
https://www.ligo.caltech.edu...

Though I welcome criticisms of science, this one's a done deal, and if you can read this whole lecture below, it will all make a lot of sense.
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk...
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 2:46:01 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 2:32:47 AM, Jerry947 wrote:
Do you believe in objective morality?

Yessir.
Human skin objectively is destroyed at 165 degrees Fahrenheit (convert to Celsius for your Brit brain) no matter who you are, and this stimulus is objectively causes suffering and is immoral to impart on another human (barring medical necessities)...it's objectively immoral to do so, therefore actions that lead AWAY from human skin reaching that temperature are objectively moral.

I thought you said you were going to debate that point differently since we had our first debate.

What I said was, thanks to your response, I wouldn't ever short hand it again, like i did in our debate, ignoring consent and societal impact of skin burning at that temperature...I hadn't expanded on it enough.

I still like the argument, it just needs more societal impact added to it, that's all.
This is a forum, so I short handed it, but in a debate, I'll expand.
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 5:34:40 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 1:49:45 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
Do any of the anti-science conversations that you've had with people personally in your life compare with those you've had with fundamentalists on this site?

Almost exactly.

How do you deal with that? I don't think I would be able to endure these people for so long...

Is creationism on the decline?

What's your favorite debate?

Also HOM
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
famousdebater
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 9:43:58 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 1:45:47 AM, MagicAintReal wrote:
Have you ever believed in God?

Yes.
I was raised Jewish, I even had a bar mitzvah, and whenever something bad would happen to me, I'd always be like "adonai, why are you messin' with me?"
Ah my youth...

Did you get any good presents?

Do you believe in objective morality?

Yessir.
Human skin objectively is destroyed at 165 degrees Fahrenheit (convert to Celsius for your Brit brain) no matter who you are, and this stimulus is objectively causes suffering and is immoral to impart on another human (barring medical necessities)...it's objectively immoral to do so, therefore actions that lead AWAY from human skin reaching that temperature are objectively moral.

What makes 'the causing suffering' objectively immoral?

Do you believe that the world would be a better place without religion?

Which one?
I think the world would be better without wishful/gullible thinking and a general shift in more critical thinking overall.

All religion. Do you believe that if everybody in the planet were atheists it would be better world than the world is now?

What would it take for you to believe in God?

Do you believe in free will?

Yes, but I've also said, if it's the case that our free will is merely an illusion because there's something externally/intrinsically controlling us, well then I'll use my free will to reject that claim.

What are your thoughts on this (if you haven't already seen it): https://www.youtube.com...

Do you think that it impacts or mitigates our free will in any way?
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Jerry947
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 11:17:34 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 2:46:01 AM, MagicAintReal wrote:
At 6/2/2016 2:32:47 AM, Jerry947 wrote:
Do you believe in objective morality?

Yessir.
Human skin objectively is destroyed at 165 degrees Fahrenheit (convert to Celsius for your Brit brain) no matter who you are, and this stimulus is objectively causes suffering and is immoral to impart on another human (barring medical necessities)...it's objectively immoral to do so, therefore actions that lead AWAY from human skin reaching that temperature are objectively moral.

I thought you said you were going to debate that point differently since we had our first debate.

What I said was, thanks to your response, I wouldn't ever short hand it again, like i did in our debate, ignoring consent and societal impact of skin burning at that temperature...I hadn't expanded on it enough.

I still like the argument, it just needs more societal impact added to it, that's all.
This is a forum, so I short handed it, but in a debate, I'll expand.

Ah okay.

I was hoping you were going to toss out the argument since it doesn't prove objective morality. But...discussion for another time. Well, actually, it already happened I guess.
NothingSpecial99
Posts: 369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 11:20:10 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/1/2016 1:22:11 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
Hey, I joined DDO exactly 1 year ago, and I've never done an unbound "Ask Me Anything," so AMA.

You can even be inappropriate/personal/argumentative/hostile I don't really care...AMA.

Your opinion of me as a creationist? Not sure if you remember our debate almost half a year ago

http://www.debate.org...
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 12:39:46 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Do any of the anti-science conversations that you've had with people personally in your life compare with those you've had with fundamentalists on this site?

Almost exactly.

How do you deal with that? I don't think I would be able to endure these people for so long...

Well, IRL people can't hide behind the internet and have to answer you directly/immediately and if they've been proven wrong or they are intentionally being dishonest, you can see it in their face and they HAVE to deal with it there...they can't hide, so those "deniers," as it were, are less annoying because you can quickly point out their flaws without them hedging back, and this is how students react to my discussions with them.

Is creationism on the decline?

It would appear so, but many of my students, particularly the Muslim students, have a very compatibilist approach to evolution/big bang in that they'll accept the science BECAUSE god made it that way, but that the *ultimate* creation of everything is still good old god's doing.

What's your favorite debate?

I mean, the proposition of god has *always* fascinated me, because I like to watch/experience people being uncomfortable with something they've default accepted since youth and how that can easily be shaken with critical thinking.

My favorite debate of mine though is the one on abiogenesis...people have no idea of its explanatory power and all of the recent studies done on it.

Also HOM

You're knowledgeable on scientific concepts, you're extremely logical, your debates are easy to understand and read, and you provide an educational/perceptive element to this site...I doubt we would disagree on much AND IRL we'd probably get along really well...btw I love thermodynamics as well.

I feel like you deal with creationists/science-deniers really well too.