Jump to topic:

Lazy Restaurant Servers

Springs1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 1:04:49 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I have having lately servers that are just plain lazy. Auctioning off drinks for example, just recently went to a restaurant just me and my husband. Our waitress doesn't write down a Dr. Pepper and an iced tea. She comes back to the table and says "Dr. Pepper" as if she is ASKING us again who had which drink. Then mid-meal, I tell her I need more drink, she asks what drink did I have.

Another time, server wrote down the drink order(at this place they have diet dr. pepper. Our waitress comes back with refills asking us "Who had the diet" when it's just the 2 of us.

Those 2 instances, it was very slow time, not busy even.

Another time recently, our waitress wasn't going to write down our orders(me and my husband's orders), so I ask her nicely if she could write down our orders.(I should have known this was a bad sign already). So, throughout the service she seemed pretty ok. Well, towards the end I did have some leftovers I wanted to take home. Before I could even ask for a box or be offered one, our waitress just plops down the check(this isn't even lunch time, it's more like mid-afternoon). So that gets to me that she in a way by giving the check like that without even offering me a box in my eyes by acting like "That's it, that's all I have to do for this table," She didn't say that, but that's the way it felt. So I automatically started asking her for a box, a bag, and some refills to-go. She brings us EMPTY cups. Seriously, a refill isn't an empty cup the last time I went to get a refill at a pharmacy even. A refill has something in it. So I told her in a not-so-nice way since she was pissing me off by doing this type of lazy behavior "That's not what I asked for I asked for REFILLS to-go, NOT cups." So then my husband goes to put the leftovers in the car and she STILL tries to get out of getting his by asking if he still wants his. I was like "Yes", I was thinking WHY would he not still want his? She also gave me a small box, when I had at least 3 or 4 condiments, so I had to send her back to get a big box it's like no common sense. All in all, she got like a 9% or 8% tip, something like that. It was just ridiculous.

I have had at least 5 servers ask "You are going to have to remind me" when I ordered some condiments. One waitress at Applebee's I only had 1 side of pico de gallo and 1 side of mexi-ranch. That's how LAZY she was. That waitress, I ended up telling her off saying "This is not McDonald's, that's why you make a tip." I also told her "You compare your written order to the food when it comes out to make sure you have Component A, Component B, Component C. I mean talk about LAZY and servers like this complain about bad tips that people are cheap. Sure there are people that are cheap, but if you are going to do this on the job to REFUSE to do YOUR JOB and PUT IT ON THE CUSTOMER, you cannot expect a good tip. Your job is NOT for the customer to do anything. I stack up my dirty dishes to help out and I ask for many things at once not to run my server. I try to do what I can, but I am NOT going to get my order right for them. They can at LEAST do that part. That's why they get tips and what separates fast food restaurants from non-fast food restaurants.

So the question is, if there are any servers out there that would like to chime in, WHY you servers complain about your tips and treat your customers like you don't want to do the WORK for the money? Also, if you don't care about us, WHY should we care about you as much when tip time comes? It's not like I am asking them to shine my silverware, it's basic things and it's like they aren't willing to do the WORK, not even simple drink orders.

The first story about the Dr. Pepper and the iced tea, in a way, we had to repeat THREE times what we had to drink and it was slow time 11:30a.m. on a Saturday. If you aren't willing to do TRY, then WHY do you expect or want a good tip? WHY are you even there at work? Why are you a server if you don't even want to do BASIC things?

Also, I have at least 3 times had servers that gave us empty cups altogether rather than new drinks. A refill is not a empty cup the last time I checked and WHO would really want to have their old watery drink? Also, making the customer pour their own drink is making THEM do work and a MUCH better chance of SPILLING, which is more mess for the server.

I recently had a waitress at a Hooter's, my husband had brought me, but he didn't want anything at all, not even to drink, so I ordered a Dr. Pepper, then our waitress asked if we wanted any appetizers, so I said I wanted to order an appetizer. I asked her nicely if she could write it down. She didn't quite understand what I was saying. I had said "Because so you can remember all the details." She's like "I got it." So I went on to tell her "Chili cheese fries, asked her what kind of cheese they had, then added 2 ranches and 1 honey mustard, no salt or seasoning on the fries. Well, after that, she ask "So what drink did you have." I told her "See why I asked you to write it down." We got up and left. The manager completely agreed with me and wanted me to stay, but we said we'd go. She gave me a freebie for next time. The thing is, I didn't complain for that freebie. I complained because these servers want us to pay them for a *JOB*, then REFUSE to do the job asked by them. If the customer asks to write the order down, chances are it's a lot of items or modifications, therefore, it would be best to take their advice since everyone forgets even when you write it down, so it's much better to put forth EFFORT than none. It hurts my feelings that this waitress RUINED our outing. It's like I don't get it? You want the money, but then complain when customers give you a bad tip or no tip. You can't have it BOTH WAYS. Either you want the tip or you don't. If you don't want the tip, then WHY are you at work? I don't understand also why there's no human caring from one person to another? I mean if you expect someone to *CARE* you only make $2.13/hr, then WHY would you expect the person you are serving to *CARE* about you if you don't *CARE* about them?

Also, sometimes servers I feel write us off because we are a small party. Once, we had never been to this restaurant before, the waitress takes 10 minutes to greet us, because she at one point VOLUNTARILY went to ask a party of like 6 or 5 "Do you all want such-n-such appetizer or such-n-such", etc. like it wasn't like a 5 second situation, she was there a while describing the appetizers and stuff along with serving others. She didn't even come by to say she'd be with us a moment or anything. So towards the end asked for the check, she ends up greeting this party of 4 right away and making us sit there for 5-8 minutes to leave. I just don't understand? Why wouldn't a server want even if the customer tipped $5 for every table on average for a couple(we have tipped a lot more than that for excellent service, sometimes 25%-30%, even more even at times)? I mean I don't get it?

Then another time we had gone out, took a while for our waitress to greet us, my husband ordered a martini, I ordered a soft drink, she goes twice to a large party to get their dirty dishes asking "Are you finished with that one", etc. Stacking up dishes. The entire time we are sitting there we could have had my soft drink, my husband could have had a water while he waited, we could have even placed our appetizer order or entr"e orders during the time she was worrying about dirty dishes twice. At this restaurant, they have a soda station that isn't even in the kitchen to comply with the "Hands full in, hands full out" policy of most restaurants. The thing is, even without any drinks, we would have so appreciated her coming to get our food orders rather than think about dirty dishes when there was no wait for a table even. It's just unfeeling, uncaring. I don't get these lazy and uncaring servers of today?
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 6:02:24 PM
I used to work in a kitchen. The servers were garbage. I'm glad these people make less than minimum wage, and I wish I could tip negative amounts sometimes.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2016 1:54:59 AM
Let's be fair about this: servers deal with a LOT of strange faces on a daily basis. To demand that they remember which of the two/three/four/five people seated at a table had the Dr. Pepper for every seated table is a bit outlandish.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Springs1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 1:35:54 AM
At 6/6/2016 1:54:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Let's be fair about this: servers deal with a LOT of strange faces on a daily basis. To demand that they remember which of the two/three/four/five people seated at a table had the Dr. Pepper for every seated table is a bit outlandish.

I don't expect them to "REMEMBER" anything IDIOT. I expect them to ***WRITE IT DOWN AND REREAD THEIR WRITTEN ORDER YOU IDIOT! I expect them to take *****************************EFFORT************************************* to know who had what and where. You sound LAZY and VERY UNCARING! I bet you aren't a hard worker, because you sure don't sound like it.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 3:27:38 AM
At 6/7/2016 1:35:54 AM, Springs1 wrote:
At 6/6/2016 1:54:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I don't expect them to "REMEMBER" anything IDIOT. I expect them to ***WRITE IT DOWN AND REREAD THEIR WRITTEN ORDER YOU IDIOT! I expect them to take *****************************EFFORT************************************* to know who had what and where. You sound LAZY and VERY UNCARING! I bet you aren't a hard worker, because you sure don't sound like it.

Geez, I'm not even a server...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid