popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:00:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/16/2010 1:58:36 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
http://www.alternet.org...

Obviously this is a study done by the biased LIEberals. C'mon, Vi, didn't you know that?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:01:29 PM

Wow! I feel so much smarter now just going to that site. Thank God for unbiased honest websites like that one.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:05:50 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:01:29 PM, jharry wrote:

Wow! I feel so much smarter now just going to that site. Thank God for unbiased honest websites like that one.

Oh come on.

63 percent believe Obama was not born in the U.S. (or that it is unclear)

Seriously??? I guess the writer of this political attack actually wants me to think Fox is responsible for people thinking Obama wasn't born here?

Normal left propaganda. Blame something that you don't like for people being stupid. When will people confess with their mouth that there is no one to blame but yourself.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:18:11 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:00:14 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Obviously this is a study done by the biased LIEberals. C'mon, Vi, didn't you know that?

What part of the study shows bias?
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:20:42 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:01:29 PM, jharry wrote:

What part of the study is biased?
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:22:23 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:18:11 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Hmmmmm. If you polled the right people on this site you could get a statistic that would reflect just about anything your heart desired. I could probably show that being a female makes you stupid if I polled the right people. Even though it is false there would be some great "study" that could show it to be true.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:23:44 PM
Ok, if somehow Alternet's reporting of a new study seems... biased to you....

Check another study out:

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org...
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:24:49 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:22:23 PM, jharry wrote:

Hmmmmm. If you polled the right people on this site you could get a statistic that would reflect just about anything your heart desired. I could probably show that being a female makes you stupid if I polled the right people. Even though it is false there would be some great "study" that could show it to be true.

Great, so you've read the actual study and dissected it? Tell me - where did they get their population? What method did they use? That should clearly be on the study.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:24:58 PM
The conclusions in this study need to be disseminated as broadly as possible. Fox's competitors need to report these results and produce ad campaigns featuring them. Newspapers and magazines need to publish the study across the country. This is big news and it is critical that the nation be advised that a major news enterprise is poisoning their minds.

They could have at least tried to be a little more subtle in their propaganda. Even just a little bit would have given this "study" a little more ground to stand on.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:25:32 PM

I don't know. I thought it was obvious I was joking...?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:26:33 PM
91 percent believe the stimulus legislation lost jobs

The study authors are misinformed about the nature of economics. No controlled experiment was conducted or could be, thus, this is a theoretical concern. Basically, this sort of evidence shows that Fox news viewers happen to be more conservative, not "more misinformed."

72 percent believe the health reform law will increase the deficit
According to what is this not true? The government's budget estimates?

72 percent believe the economy is getting worse
That's a value judgment. Hardly the sort of thing you want for a study like this.

60 percent believe climate change is not occurring
That could be pretty stupid, or it could be accepting severe definitions of climate change without accepting severe estimates.

49 percent believe income taxes have gone up
They could have mentioned a "since...?" we have no idea of knowing how stupid this may or may not be.

63 percent believe the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts
Depends how you define tax cuts I suppose. It's really more of a tax deferment, and a long-term tax increase.

56 percent believe Obama initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout
Finally something fair-- and minor.

38 percent believe that most Republicans opposed TARP
Most congressional Republicans didn't. But this doesn't look like it was phrased that way. Or do they have polls from the time of self-identified Republicans?

It is unclear, and it's not "misinformation" to have difficulty believing it. Yes, state documents say that he was born in America. This means that Fox News viewers happen to be distrustful of state documents. Nothing to do with verifiable facts. I think such a conspiracy is highly unlikely, and that their distrust for the government is just overriding their reasonableness (not to mention it's not a particularly important issue), but it is not a demonstration of "misinformation."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:28:19 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:24:58 PM, jharry wrote:
The conclusions in this study need to be disseminated as broadly as possible. Fox's competitors need to report these results and produce ad campaigns featuring them. Newspapers and magazines need to publish the study across the country. This is big news and it is critical that the nation be advised that a major news enterprise is poisoning their minds.

They could have at least tried to be a little more subtle in their propaganda. Even just a little bit would have given this "study" a little more ground to stand on.

But it wasn't claiming to be "fair and balanced" so why would they be subtle about it? They're specifically trying not to be subtle and make a specific point, with some sort of study in their favor. I didn't read the article so I'm curious as to what part of the study was biased... well?
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:30:49 PM

That's not the conclusion in the study. That's the conclusion of the journalist covering the study. See, you can't even tell the difference ;) You must watch Fox News. Separate opinion from your facts!

Again, look at the study, no the journalist's remarks about the study. Sheesh.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:31:42 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:26:33 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

The study authors are misinformed about the nature of economics. No controlled experiment was conducted or could be, thus, this is a theoretical concern. Basically, this sort of evidence shows that Fox news viewers happen to be more conservative, not "more misinformed."

That's a value judgment. Hardly the sort of thing you want for a study like this.

That could be pretty stupid, or it could be accepting severe definitions of climate change without accepting severe estimates.

They could have mentioned a "since...?" we have no idea of knowing how stupid this may or may not be.

Depends how you define tax cuts I suppose. It's really more of a tax deferment, and a long-term tax increase.

Most congressional Republicans didn't. But this doesn't look like it was phrased that way. Or do they have polls from the time of self-identified Republicans?

It is unclear, and it's not "misinformation" to have difficulty believing it. Yes, state documents say that he was born in America. This means that Fox News viewers happen to be distrustful of state documents. Nothing to do with verifiable facts. I think such a conspiracy is highly unlikely, and that their distrust for the government is just overriding their reasonableness (not to mention it's not a particularly important issue), but it is not a demonstration of "misinformation."

Economics is not a hard science, Ragnar. It's a social science.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:33:30 PM
Wow, too lazy to actually look up the study? Too lazy to click on my second study I posted that has everything right there for you?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:34:02 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:31:42 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 12/16/2010 2:26:33 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Economics is not a hard science, Ragnar. It's a social science.

Which is to say, not subject to the scientific method, not consisting of simple empirical facts, requiring theory to get anywhere.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:35:54 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:23:44 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Check another study out:

Please show where Fox has produced these misconceptions. I looked at all the "studies" and found no connection. And it never clearly say where the pols were taken. How many. What age. Nothing. Just a "poll".
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:39:26 PM
Second study: "links" means diplomatic cooperation in the mind of the author but not necessarily a respondent, though the other two problems are fairer (and affect only a minority).

Also, even if all these questions were good, these studies could very easily have causation backwards (being stupid makes you watch fox news!)
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:40:07 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:30:49 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

That's not the conclusion in the study. That's the conclusion of the journalist covering the study. See, you can't even tell the difference ;) You must watch Fox News. Separate opinion from your facts!

Again, look at the study, no the journalist's remarks about the study. Sheesh.

Maybe you should post the "study" then. See that is how it works. Someone does a half arse bias "study". Then some journalist writes a Nazi style propaganda piece on it. Then some liberal posts it to some blog or wen site and the ones that are hunger for anything hey can blame for the problems in society lick their lips and dig in. Don't get me wrong, this happens with conservatives just as much as it happens in the Left.

I don't blame left or right for this country. I blame you and me.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:40:59 PM
Ragnar, even if they merely thought it was unclear about Obamas birth, or even distrust concerning the matter, it is still incredibly stupid to even care where Obama was born. Yes, there is a law/standard mandating that he be born here, but that doesn't make it any more or less of a concern and it's just plain idiotic to think that the technicalities of a persons birth place dictates how suitable he will be as President.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:41:24 PM
i amend that, only one of the questions in the second study is fair. "World public opinion" is all but certainly impossible to representatively poll.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:44:19 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:40:59 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Ragnar, even if they merely thought it was unclear about Obamas birth, or even distrust concerning the matter, it is still incredibly stupid to even care where Obama was born. Yes, there is a law/standard mandating that he be born here, but that doesn't make it any more or less of a concern and it's just plain idiotic to think that the technicalities of a persons birth place dictates how suitable he will be as President.

It's called hope. They don't necessarily think he's unsuitable because of his birth. I for one would be very happy if he were removed because of his birth. Is it because of his birth that he's unsuitable? No, he's unsuitable for reasons that aren't legally disqualifying (his ideology). Hoping a technicality can save you doesn't mean that the technicality is your motive.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:45:09 PM

Check another study out:

I did. It was in the original post. And look at the numbers. Ar the other medias any better? It's not that I'm saying people that watch Fox aren't miss informed. No more then I would say people that watch CNN or NBC are any more/less informed.

BUT, I don't blame NBC or CNN for making people stupid. People are stupid because people are stupid. Blaming FOX is nothing more then propaganda.

This is basically appealing to emotions. It says clealry

"If you watch Fox you are stupid".

Which is not only false but a deceitful attempt to silence the opposition.

I'm surprised you girls fell for it.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:46:12 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:35:54 PM, jharry wrote:

Check another study out:

Please show where Fox has produced these misconceptions. I looked at all the "studies" and found no connection. And it never clearly say where the pols were taken. How many. What age. Nothing. Just a "poll".

......................... You're ridiculous.

Because you can't seem to find it on that web page, I will c/p it for you.

Results:

More on methodology:

"For more information about the
methodology, please go to:
www.knowledgenetworks.com/ganp. "
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:48:32 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:45:09 PM, jharry wrote:

Check another study out:

I did. It was in the original post. And look at the numbers. Ar the other medias any better? It's not that I'm saying people that watch Fox aren't miss informed. No more then I would say people that watch CNN or NBC are any more/less informed.

BUT, I don't blame NBC or CNN for making people stupid. People are stupid because people are stupid. Blaming FOX is nothing more then propaganda.

*rolls eyes* All television news sources suck. I'm not sitting here preaching for you to watch MSNBC instead. I'm just showing you that Fox News is the worst of all - for those members that seem to follow it religiously.

Fox News deliberately giving away false information makes people misinformed. Duh.

The title of this thread is the title of the news article: I find it funny. Grow a pair of balls and laugh.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:51:09 PM
Nvm, I realized this website is full of children :)
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:52:04 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:46:12 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 12/16/2010 2:35:54 PM, jharry wrote:

Check another study out:

......................... You're ridiculous.

Because you can't seem to find it on that web page, I will c/p it for you.

Results:

More on methodology:

"For more information about the
methodology, please go to:
www.knowledgenetworks.com/ganp. "

Missed that. And where exactly does it show that Fox is responsible for providing this misleading info.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:58:41 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:48:32 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 12/16/2010 2:45:09 PM, jharry wrote:

Check another study out:

*rolls eyes* All television news sources suck. I'm not sitting here preaching for you to watch MSNBC instead. I'm just showing you that Fox News is the worst of all - for those members that seem to follow it religiously.

Fox News deliberately giving away false information makes people misinformed. Duh.

Please show the evidence for that please.

The title of this thread is the title of the news article: I find it funny. Grow a pair of balls and laugh.

At propaganda? I laugh at news threads like this. But it is AT them, not with them.

Look, I don't sit in front of the tv or scan the web for articles that sport my opinions. I live in the real world. Most of the people I know are blue dog democrats. This is a union town and I'm in the union. These people I work with don't watch Fox because they hate Bush. Senseless I know but never the less. I sat and listened to these people talk about Obama being a Muslim and born in Africa. I is commonly referred to as the n word around here. They still voted for him because he promised change and they hated Bush. SO any lame arse attempt to try and convince me that watching some stupid news network makes anybody stupid just makes me laugh. I laugh and then I cry. I cry because of the depth of depravity that some people will go to to further their stupid little agendas.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 2:59:11 PM
At 12/16/2010 2:51:09 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Nvm, I realized this website is full of children :)

And I seems the country too. ;)