Jump to topic:

Want to solve a riddle?

David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 5:16:41 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Hello all! This is an extremely clever and thought provoking riddle my friend told me the other day, and I wanted to see if you could all solve it. Here goes:

In the future, you and 9 of your friends are taken to a dystopian prison for protesting against the new dictator. When you arrive, you are sentenced to death row. However, since there are still lawyers, your defense lawyer makes an agreement with the prosecutor: if you are able to show your intellect would be a value to society if you are to live. They give you a puzzle to test your intellect. The prosecutor reads:

"You will line up in a single file line, tallest to shortest, facing towards the front. If any of you step out of line or move in any way, you will all be put to death. We will place a hat upon all of your heads. The hat can be one of two colors: black or white. We will ask you, starting with the tallest, moving to the smallest, what color your hat is. You must answer with the word 'black' or 'white.' If you state anything different, you will all be put to death. Nine out of ten of you must guess the color of your hat correctly. We will not tell you whether or not you guessed incorrectly. You will have 60 minutes to discuss among yourselves before the hats are distributed."

They leave you. The question is this: what strategy can you employ that will assure you survival every time?
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 1:37:35 AM
At 6/29/2016 5:16:41 AM, David_Debates wrote:
Hello all! This is an extremely clever and thought provoking riddle my friend told me the other day, and I wanted to see if you could all solve it. Here goes:

In the future, you and 9 of your friends are taken to a dystopian prison for protesting against the new dictator. When you arrive, you are sentenced to death row. However, since there are still lawyers, your defense lawyer makes an agreement with the prosecutor: if you are able to show your intellect would be a value to society if you are to live. They give you a puzzle to test your intellect. The prosecutor reads:

"You will line up in a single file line, tallest to shortest, facing towards the front. If any of you step out of line or move in any way, you will all be put to death. We will place a hat upon all of your heads. The hat can be one of two colors: black or white. We will ask you, starting with the tallest, moving to the smallest, what color your hat is. You must answer with the word 'black' or 'white.' If you state anything different, you will all be put to death. Nine out of ten of you must guess the color of your hat correctly. We will not tell you whether or not you guessed incorrectly. You will have 60 minutes to discuss among yourselves before the hats are distributed."

They leave you. The question is this: what strategy can you employ that will assure you survival every time?

Well I'd like to be the first to answer this
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 1:42:25 AM
At 6/30/2016 1:37:35 AM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

Go ahead!
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 2:33:00 AM
At 6/30/2016 1:42:25 AM, David_Debates wrote:

Go ahead!

I already did. Answer for me for all I care, either way I still win since only 9 out of ten must be correct
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:27:00 AM
At 6/30/2016 2:33:00 AM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

Go ahead!

I already did. Answer for me for all I care, either way I still win since only 9 out of ten must be correct

You must all guess 9/10 of your hats correctly, otherwise you are sent to death row.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 1:05:51 PM
At 6/30/2016 5:27:00 AM, David_Debates wrote:
At 6/30/2016 2:33:00 AM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

Go ahead!

You must all guess 9/10 of your hats correctly, otherwise you are sent to death row.

No, only nine must guess correctly. One can be incorrect. Either way who would want to win this game antways, only to survive in a world they already protested. I'd choose death.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 2:02:13 PM

Wouldn't you be able to see the hats as they're being put on your head?
I don't have a signature. :-)
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 3:02:27 PM
At 6/30/2016 2:02:13 PM, Bob13 wrote:

Since you are lined up tallest to shortest, all facing forward, the tallest would see everyone else's hat. But not his own.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 3:17:51 PM
At 6/30/2016 3:02:27 PM, David_Debates wrote:

Since you are lined up tallest to shortest, all facing forward, the tallest would see everyone else's hat. But not his own.

So no one can see their own hat?
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 3:19:24 PM
At 6/30/2016 3:17:51 PM, Bob13 wrote:

Right. It is put on their head in a way where they cannot see their own hat.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 3:20:44 PM
At 6/30/2016 3:19:24 PM, David_Debates wrote:

Are they allowed to talk to each other after the hats have been distributed?
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 3:28:43 PM
At 6/30/2016 3:20:44 PM, Bob13 wrote:

They can only answer the lawyer's question (what color is your hat?). They may only say black or white, and if they say anything else, they are all sent to death row.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 3:33:05 PM
At 6/30/2016 3:28:43 PM, David_Debates wrote:

They can only answer the lawyer's question (what color is your hat?). They may only say black or white, and if they say anything else, they are all sent to death row.

The tallest could tell everyone what color their hat is while only using the words "black" and "white". He doesn't have to guess his own hat's color correctly because they can still get 9 out of 10.
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 3:35:44 PM
At 6/30/2016 3:33:05 PM, Bob13 wrote:

The tallest could tell everyone what color their hat is while only using the words "black" and "white". He doesn't have to guess his own hat's color correctly because they can still get 9 out of 10.

So, would he say the words "black" and "white" in order of the colors of hats he sees? This wouldn't work, see the orginal riddle:
"You must answer with the word 'black' or 'white.'"
Not "words," but "word," singular. Sorry, but this one wouldn't work.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 3:48:22 PM
At 6/30/2016 3:35:44 PM, David_Debates wrote:

So, would he say the words "black" and "white" in order of the colors of hats he sees? This wouldn't work, see the orginal riddle:

The second shortest person could tell the shortest that his hat is black, then the shortest would say "black". The third shortest person would tell the second shortest that his hat is white, and the second shortest would say "white". Of course, this would happen in reverse order, but it works.
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 3:50:33 PM
At 6/30/2016 3:48:22 PM, Bob13 wrote:

The second shortest person could tell the shortest that his hat is black, then the shortest would say "black". The third shortest person would tell the second shortest that his hat is white, and the second shortest would say "white". Of course, this would happen in reverse order, but it works.

They are asked in order. Their guess must be their hat color. In other words, this goes against the rules the prosecutor gave them.
Would you like a hint?
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 4:41:38 PM
At 6/30/2016 3:50:33 PM, David_Debates wrote:

They are asked in order. Their guess must be their hat color. In other words, this goes against the rules the prosecutor gave them.
Would you like a hint?

Sure, why not?
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 4:45:19 PM
At 6/30/2016 4:41:38 PM, Bob13 wrote:

Would you like a hint?

Sure, why not?

How many off em were going to st Ives.?
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:05:50 PM
At 6/30/2016 4:45:19 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Would you like a hint?

Sure, why not?

How many off em were going to st Ives.?

Approximately zero of them.
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:08:32 PM

Would you like a hint?

Sure, why not?

The tallest person must be the one that gets the mistake or not. After all, no one can see his hat. All the others must follow a pattern that allow them to always guess their hat correctly, based on what the tallest person said.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:15:12 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:08:32 PM, David_Debates wrote:

Would you like a hint?

Sure, why not?

The tallest person must be the one that gets the mistake or not. After all, no one can see his hat. All the others must follow a pattern that allow them to always guess their hat correctly, based on what the tallest person said.

I figured this out: During the hour they are allowed to discuss, they would agree on a non-verbal code that would tell the next person the color of their hat. After the tallest person guesses his hat color, he would cough if the next person's hat is black, or sniffle if his hat is white.
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:20:01 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:15:12 PM, Bob13 wrote:

Would you like a hint?

Sure, why not?

I figured this out: During the hour they are allowed to discuss, they would agree on a non-verbal code that would tell the next person the color of their hat. After the tallest person guesses his hat color, he would cough if the next person's hat is black, or sniffle if his hat is white.

You're right about a code that they must come up with, but this is not the answer. They are communicating without using the word "black" or "white," and they are sent to death row.
Another hint:
There are two things that the tallest person can say. Make a code that will indicate to the rest of the group a way to determine their hat color.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:28:52 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:20:01 PM, David_Debates wrote:

Would you like a hint?

Sure, why not?

You're right about a code that they must come up with, but this is not the answer. They are communicating without using the word "black" or "white," and they are sent to death row.
Another hint:
There are two things that the tallest person can say. Make a code that will indicate to the rest of the group a way to determine their hat color.

I suppose the tallest person could tell the person in front of him what color his hat is, but I don't see where they could go from there.
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:34:15 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:28:52 PM, Bob13 wrote:

Would you like a hint?

Sure, why not?

Another hint:

I suppose the tallest person could tell the person in front of him what color his hat is, but I don't see where they could go from there.

Don't think about telling people the color of their hat. Think: there are two things that he can say: black or white. What else has two possibilities when it comes to numbers?
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:37:16 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:34:15 PM, David_Debates wrote:

Would you like a hint?

Sure, why not?

Another hint:

Don't think about telling people the color of their hat. Think: there are two things that he can say: black or white. What else has two possibilities when it comes to numbers?

Numbers can be even or odd.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:40:48 PM

Would you like a hint?

Sure, why not?

Another hint:

Are you allowed to say the same color multiple times?
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:45:14 PM

Organize a method in which the color of the next person's hat is indicated by the inflection in the voice of the previous answerer. For example, a rise (like asking a question) would indicate white to the next person while a drop (like a normal statement) would indicate black. The first person (tallest) can just guess at his own hat color since it doesn't matter; only 9/10 accuracy is required.
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:47:42 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:40:48 PM, Bob13 wrote:

Would you like a hint?

Sure, why not?

Another hint:

No. You may only say the word black or white.
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:48:58 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:45:14 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Organize a method in which the color of the next person's hat is indicated by the inflection in the voice of the previous answerer. For example, a rise (like asking a question) would indicate white to the next person while a drop (like a normal statement) would indicate black. The first person (tallest) can just guess at his own hat color since it doesn't matter; only 9/10 accuracy is required.

This is communication other than the word black or white. This is not allowed. Look above, what else, pertaining to numbers, can have 2 possible outcomes?
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:49:21 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:47:42 PM, David_Debates wrote:
At 6/30/2016 7:40:48 PM, Bob13 wrote:

Would you like a hint?

Sure, why not?

Another hint:

No. You may only say the word black or white.

Could you say "black black" or can you only say it once?