Mafia Game Explanation and Signups

wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 7:17:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hello new members of this site.

So you've probably noticed "mafia" being thrown around the site but don't understand any of it and have avoided playing games for fear of looking stupid and losing.

Here's a basic explanation.

Mafia is a forum game.

It is started by a moderator, or a user who decides to start a game.

The moderator then conducts "signups" where people put there name onto a list. Then once all people have signed up, the moderator randomly assigns 1/3 (roughly) of the players onto the mafia team, and then the other 2/3 are signed onto the townie team. None of the teams are announced but are done individually through Private Messages or PMs.

There are two phases in mafia: The day phase and the night phase.

The townies do not know what team any other player is on. However the mafia know who is on their team and can communicate with them in one group private message set up by the moderator. The mafia can communicate in this PM throughout the entire game. Usually the mafia get to "kill" a player during the "night phase"

Basically the mafia decide as a whole who they want to remove from the game. Once they decide the "night phase" is over and the day phase begins. During the night phase no one may post in the forum.

During the day phase everyone can post in the forum. All players decide to "lynch" or kill one play during the day phase. This decided democratically via votes.

A majority of votes are needed to lynch a player. Once the player has been lynched he is removed from the game and the night phase begins.

Whoever survives at the end is the winner.

Some quick things to know:

1. The night phase is not done actually at "night" in real life. It just is a name for a part of the game where the mafia decide on who to remove from the game.

2. The day phase is not necessarily done during the "day" in real life. It is just a name for a part of he game where the mafia decide on who to remove from the game.

3. The mafia are unknown to the townies

4. Other townies are unknown to the townies.

5. The mafia know who the mafia are.

6. The mafia via process of eliminationo know who the townes are.

7. When the mafia decide to remove someone during the night phase it is known as a "night kill"

8. When all the players decide during the day phase to vote someone out of the game it is known as a "lynch"

9. Games last as long or as quickly as it takes for players to make decisions on their votes.

10. Votes can be changed until a majority is met.

11. Sometimes other powers are thrown in to mix things up however this is generally the theme.

I will be conduction an amateur mafia game in which only new players can play in. I will explain every part of the game. Essentially this is a training for new members who wish to try out mafia.

Let me know if you would like to play by posting here. There will be no special powers so the game will be exactly as explained above.
ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 7:26:46 PM
At 12/18/2010 7:17:39 PM, wamba wrote:
Hello new members of this site.

So you've probably noticed "mafia" being thrown around the site but don't understand any of it and have avoided playing games for fear of looking stupid and losing.

Here's a basic explanation.

Mafia is a forum game.

It is started by a moderator, or a user who decides to start a game.

The moderator then conducts "signups" where people put there name onto a list. Then once all people have signed up, the moderator randomly assigns 1/3 (roughly) of the players onto the mafia team, and then the other 2/3 are signed onto the townie team. None of the teams are announced but are done individually through Private Messages or PMs.

There are two phases in mafia: The day phase and the night phase.

The townies do not know what team any other player is on. However the mafia know who is on their team and can communicate with them in one group private message set up by the moderator. The mafia can communicate in this PM throughout the entire game. Usually the mafia get to "kill" a player during the "night phase"

Basically the mafia decide as a whole who they want to remove from the game. Once they decide the "night phase" is over and the day phase begins. During the night phase no one may post in the forum.

During the day phase everyone can post in the forum. All players decide to "lynch" or kill one play during the day phase. This decided democratically via votes.

A majority of votes are needed to lynch a player. Once the player has been lynched he is removed from the game and the night phase begins.

Whoever survives at the end is the winner.

Some quick things to know:

1. The night phase is not done actually at "night" in real life. It just is a name for a part of the game where the mafia decide on who to remove from the game.

2. The day phase is not necessarily done during the "day" in real life. It is just a name for a part of he game where the mafia decide on who to remove from the game.

3. The mafia are unknown to the townies

4. Other townies are unknown to the townies.

5. The mafia know who the mafia are.

6. The mafia via process of eliminationo know who the townes are.

7. When the mafia decide to remove someone during the night phase it is known as a "night kill"

8. When all the players decide during the day phase to vote someone out of the game it is known as a "lynch"

9. Games last as long or as quickly as it takes for players to make decisions on their votes.

10. Votes can be changed until a majority is met.

11. Sometimes other powers are thrown in to mix things up however this is generally the theme.

I will be conduction an amateur mafia game in which only new players can play in. I will explain every part of the game. Essentially this is a training for new members who wish to try out mafia.

Let me know if you would like to play by posting here. There will be no special powers so the game will be exactly as explained above.

Ill play as the veteran if you want.
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 7:35:59 PM
No I want this to be purely new people/people who have only played once or twice and were discouraged.

I've done his twice before and it's brought in a bunch of new players, think it should be pretty beneficial.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 7:49:56 PM
At 12/18/2010 7:35:59 PM, wamba wrote:
No I want this to be purely new people/people who have only played once or twice and were discouraged.

I've done his twice before and it's brought in a bunch of new players, think it should be pretty beneficial.

This is a great idea and was very helpful for me. I also find it sad that sometimes new members are targeted by the town because they are new (since they are new, they probably aren't very good, and so aren't too big of a loss).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 7:51:56 PM
At 12/18/2010 7:49:56 PM, OreEle wrote:

This is a great idea and was very helpful for me. I also find it sad that sometimes new members are targeted by the town because they are new (since they are new, they probably aren't very good, and so aren't too big of a loss).

yup the more players we have the better this site gets in terms of quality of games.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 7:54:31 PM
Sounds like a good idea. It'll be fun to watch, too; a good way to get an idea of the personalities of some of the new people when they aren't being shouted down by the regulars.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 10:10:03 PM
Sign me up. >:D

(This should be stickied to the top)
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 10:29:56 PM
At 12/18/2010 10:10:50 PM, wamba wrote:
1. tvellalot

That was a joke. I've been in about eleven games.

Muh threads
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 10:48:50 PM

It would also help because alot of the questions are whether a newb is just being a poor player, or if their being suspicious, or just not knowing how they play in general.
OreEle you should sign up.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 11:35:03 PM
At 12/18/2010 10:48:50 PM, lovelife wrote:

It would also help because alot of the questions are whether a newb is just being a poor player, or if their being suspicious, or just not knowing how they play in general.

...I'm not sure if that was an ouch or not. But I've only been in about 3 or 4 games. But I was in the newb games last time around. If Askbob doesn't mind, then sure (though that will mean I'm modding a game, as well as being in 2 games at the same time).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 11:39:29 PM
OreEle has graduated, unless he feels he's still lacking on strategy or feels disadvantaged, i think he's good to go.

Plus modding a game will teach him a lot, more than playing in this game. As to make a good game, you have to understand how everything works.

The best mods are the best players.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 12:01:16 AM
At 12/18/2010 11:35:03 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 12/18/2010 10:48:50 PM, lovelife wrote:

...I'm not sure if that was an ouch or not. But I've only been in about 3 or 4 games. But I was in the newb games last time around. If Askbob doesn't mind, then sure (though that will mean I'm modding a game, as well as being in 2 games at the same time).

It wasn't meant to be an ouch, you just haven't played that much to my knowledge.
Askbob might be right about you modding a game tho.
It was just my $.02 anyway lol.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 12:49:46 AM
OreEle doesn't need to be in this game. It might take a while to actually get 6 newbs in here.

Muh threads
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 12:53:00 AM
I don't know if people are embarrassed or what, but I know there are people on this site who don't know how to play...

Anyways, I've been in 2 games but I'm still a n00b. Sign me up! Hopefully this gets other people to join too. ^_^
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 9:07:48 PM
At 12/19/2010 8:08:59 PM, grobino wrote:
This sounds well fun, please sign me up :D

At 12/19/2010 6:58:59 PM, wamba wrote:
1. grobino
2. Annhasle

Muh threads
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 9:09:04 PM
At 12/19/2010 9:08:28 PM, wamba wrote:
1. tvellalot
2. Annhasle
3. Grobino

Do you really think I should be in this game? (I don't)

Muh threads
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 9:11:10 PM
At 12/18/2010 10:29:56 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 12/18/2010 10:10:50 PM, wamba wrote:
1. tvellalot

That was a joke. I've been in about eleven games.

I missed this mah bad
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 11:34:23 PM
I know this game as Werewolf. Eh, still, same thing I guess. I'd like to sign-up, I'm curious how this game translates onto forums.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 11:43:10 PM
At 12/19/2010 11:34:23 PM, M.Torres wrote:
I know this game as Werewolf. Eh, still, same thing I guess. I'd like to sign-up, I'm curious how this game translates onto forums.
IT TRANSLATES WELL!
Yeah, I've seen it called Werewolf. You've played it as a card game?
Regardless, if you know about Day Phase and Night Phase and basically how roles and teams work, you're half-way there.

1. annhasle
2. Grobino
3. M.Torres

Muh threads
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2010 1:11:14 PM
1. annhasle
2. Grobino
3. M.Torres
4. bluesteel
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 10:54:16 AM
Yeah Ill join though I'm still confused :(
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ