Jump to topic:

Ayn Rand???

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 12:18:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Sorry if someone already created this thread but...

What is the best Ayn Rand book written?
List your top 3 favorites?

Why is that particular one the best?
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 1:20:03 AM
I've only read Anthem, and I liked it. Really want to get around to Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 1:29:00 AM
'The Fountainhead' is much better than 'Atlas Shrugged' in my opinion. Haven't read 'We the Living.' 'Anthem' is just a novella, but I liked it.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 1:33:24 AM
At 12/19/2010 1:29:00 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
'The Fountainhead' is much better than 'Atlas Shrugged' in my opinion. Haven't read 'We the Living.' 'Anthem' is just a novella, but I liked it.

I read Fountainhead first, so you might say I'm a little more attached to it in certain ways. Honestly, I'd rate them side-by-side if I could.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 1:38:34 AM
We the Living hit me far too personally for me to make much of an unbiased ranking.

Anyway, seriously dude, this is like some kind of fandom jerk off thread. Unless you've made some serious advances in the study of aesthetics you haven't told us about, "ranking" good books is generally far too subjective a process anyway for it to even remotely be acceptable to do with Ayn Rand books.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 7:53:31 AM
At 12/19/2010 1:38:34 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
We the Living hit me far too personally for me to make much of an unbiased ranking.

Anyway, seriously dude, this is like some kind of fandom jerk off thread. Unless you've made some serious advances in the study of aesthetics you haven't told us about, "ranking" good books is generally far too subjective a process anyway for it to even remotely be acceptable to do with Ayn Rand books.

I was just looking for opinions, and how certain books hit people.
If you think you couldn't answer the questions, I understand, and advise not to answer it.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 10:34:49 AM
I've read 5 of her books. I looove Ayn Rand even though I don't agree with a lot of what she says. Like most philosophers she's on the money with some stuff and way off on others, but I think she's awesome -- probs one of my faves.
President of DDO
SeekingWisdom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 6:05:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/19/2010 12:18:37 AM, comoncents wrote:

The Fountainhead
Philosophy, Who Needs It?
For the New Intellectual

The Fountainhead because it is an enjoyable and very influential novel. It will get your mental juicies flowing, albiet more that a little confused, if there is even a little skepticism in you.

The other two because Rand actually does an excellent job explaining the basics of Aristotelian philosopy (the only philosopher who has withstood the test of history) and whom Rand considered the greatest of all philosophers. About this she was exactly right! She offered crystal clear, easily understood explanations of concepts, percepts, rational thought, and knowledge. She also warned of the consequences of disregarding the importance of these areas of philosophy. It was her conclusions in the area of ethics that I believe, are wrong and dangerous.

Be very, very sceptical when she gets to values, individualism and Capitalism. She got a lot wrong. Devastatingly wrong, imo.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 5:21:38 AM
At 12/19/2010 12:18:37 AM, comoncents wrote:

I like "Philosophy, Who needs it?".

I've read Atlas Shrugged a few times, but I doubt most people would find it enjoyable.
dichotomyslave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 2:21:22 PM
At 12/19/2010 1:29:00 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:

I have read Fountain head, We the Living, Atlas Shrugged, and Anthem. All the themes were basically similar. Her writing had a very rough, crudeness to it and appealed mainly to the 1950's market due to a changing society. She had no plausible philosophy, it was dystopian and fanatical. I found her work trite and condescending. She was only popular due to her circumstances, the era, and her weirdness. And the biggest gripe I have about that hack has been is she wanted laze faire market for the US, but had no qualms about sucking on the Social Security teat ten, yes count them ten years before she croaked. IF she had a modicum of credibility, that shot it all to hell. She was creepy, fixated, hypocritical, and a fair writer at her very best. And her so called "philosophy" was debunked YEARS ago. Thank you. If you want to read philosophy, try Plato's Republic, or just "The allegory of the cave" THEN you might learn something.