George Orwell's advice on writing

ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 8:01:00 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/3/2016 7:59:52 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
This should be required reading for all highschool students: http://www.orwell.ru...

Considering his actual writing, I wouldn't put much weight in his advice.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 8:03:13 PM
At 10/3/2016 8:01:00 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 10/3/2016 7:59:52 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
This should be required reading for all highschool students: http://www.orwell.ru...

Considering his actual writing, I wouldn't put much weight in his advice.

George Orwell's writing style is one of the best.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 11:23:53 PM
I'm sure he had something interesting to say. Had I not fallen asleep after the first sentence, I would have known what that was.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 3:59:48 PM
It's truly incredible to see people who have no appreciation of Orwell, tells me a great deal about the current ongoing decline of Western civilization.

Orwell was a truly superb writer not only fiction but investigative journalism.

If you have never read "The road to Wigan pier" or "Down and out in Paris and London" then I urge you to do so.

In these books he recounts his experience actually living among very poor coal mining communities and the homeless and bottom feeders in Paris and London, all of this before the outbreak of WW2.

He was also one of the first to warn about the Soviet threat following the end of WW2.

Here is one small extract that shows his observational skills and writing skills, describing life as he saw it for the impoverished:

"The shop [store] was a narrow, cold sort of room. On the outside of the window a few white letters, relics of ancient chocolate advertisements, were scattered like stars. Inside there was a slab upon which lay the great white folds of tripe, and the grey flocculent stuff known as 'black tripe', and the ghostly translucent feet of pigs, ready boiled. It was the ordinary 'tripe and pea' shop, and not much else was stocked except bread, cigarettes, and tinned stuff. 'Teas' were advertised in the window, but if a customer demanded a cup of tea he was usually put off with excuses. Mr Brooker, though out of work for two years, was a miner by trade, but he and his wife had been keeping shops of various kinds as a side-line all their lives. At one time they had had a pub, but they had lost their licence..."

get the book, you'll see Orwell in a new light I promise.