Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Iterations - Maths Help

famousdebater
Posts: 3,940
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 8:51:50 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
I don't want anybody to answer all of the questions or anything like that. I just want somebody to walk me through 1b so that I get how to work out the others.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 9:52:37 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 8:50:27 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Could somebody please walk through Q1b please?

https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws.com...

I'm absolutely clueless in this area of maths.

I might be the worst person to ask, but is the answer 5.4?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 10:06:27 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 8:50:27 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Could somebody please walk through Q1b please?

https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws.com...

I'm absolutely clueless in this area of maths.

Maybe? https://i.imgsafe.org...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
famousdebater
Posts: 3,940
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 10:30:31 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 9:52:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 10/20/2016 8:50:27 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Could somebody please walk through Q1b please?

https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws.com...

I'm absolutely clueless in this area of maths.

I might be the worst person to ask, but is the answer 5.4?

No one seems to be 100% sure at the moment. I've asked a couple of friends too and there's been a variety on answers. It'll get marked tomorrow so I'll find out the actual answers then.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 10:33:39 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 10:30:31 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 10/20/2016 9:52:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 10/20/2016 8:50:27 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Could somebody please walk through Q1b please?

https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws.com...

I'm absolutely clueless in this area of maths.

I might be the worst person to ask, but is the answer 5.4?

No one seems to be 100% sure at the moment. I've asked a couple of friends too and there's been a variety on answers. It'll get marked tomorrow so I'll find out the actual answers then.

Did anyone else agree with me?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
famousdebater
Posts: 3,940
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 10:59:55 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 10:33:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 10/20/2016 10:30:31 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 10/20/2016 9:52:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 10/20/2016 8:50:27 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Could somebody please walk through Q1b please?

https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws.com...

I'm absolutely clueless in this area of maths.

I might be the worst person to ask, but is the answer 5.4?

No one seems to be 100% sure at the moment. I've asked a couple of friends too and there's been a variety on answers. It'll get marked tomorrow so I'll find out the actual answers then.

Did anyone else agree with me?

Can't remember off the top of my head because I asked them a while ago and most are offline on whatsapp at the moment because it's pretty late in uk time. But I'll write down the answer and explanation and post it here tomorrow.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 11:01:15 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 10:59:55 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 10/20/2016 10:33:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 10/20/2016 10:30:31 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 10/20/2016 9:52:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 10/20/2016 8:50:27 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Could somebody please walk through Q1b please?

https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws.com...

I'm absolutely clueless in this area of maths.

I might be the worst person to ask, but is the answer 5.4?

No one seems to be 100% sure at the moment. I've asked a couple of friends too and there's been a variety on answers. It'll get marked tomorrow so I'll find out the actual answers then.

Did anyone else agree with me?

Can't remember off the top of my head because I asked them a while ago and most are offline on whatsapp at the moment because it's pretty late in uk time. But I'll write down the answer and explanation and post it here tomorrow.

Well, if I'm right you owe me your soul.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
famousdebater
Posts: 3,940
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 6:58:29 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 11:01:15 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 10/20/2016 10:59:55 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 10/20/2016 10:33:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 10/20/2016 10:30:31 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 10/20/2016 9:52:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 10/20/2016 8:50:27 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Could somebody please walk through Q1b please?

https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws.com...

I'm absolutely clueless in this area of maths.

I might be the worst person to ask, but is the answer 5.4?

No one seems to be 100% sure at the moment. I've asked a couple of friends too and there's been a variety on answers. It'll get marked tomorrow so I'll find out the actual answers then.

Did anyone else agree with me?

Can't remember off the top of my head because I asked them a while ago and most are offline on whatsapp at the moment because it's pretty late in uk time. But I'll write down the answer and explanation and post it here tomorrow.

Well, if I'm right you owe me your soul.

Lol.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
SolonKR
Posts: 4,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 11:19:10 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 10:33:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Did anyone else agree with me?

Calc II student here. While I would have waited until the end to round, your work is correct. Oddly enough, we just started doing these things again (we've started learning series now, which rely heavily on understanding sequences).

@Famous: The important thing to remember here is that Xn (my makeshift rendition of x subscript n on this forum) is representing an ordered list of numbers (a sequence). For any numbered term in the list n, you can find that by plugging in the formula (given in terms of n). If we have {2, 3, 5, 8, 12,...}, then X1=2, X2=3, X3=5, and so on. Xn is simply replacing the number of the term in the sequence with a variable, because we want to change it and see how x changes as a result. For this particular sequence, we can see that the increase from the 1st to the 2nd term is 1, from 2nd to 3rd is 2, then 3, then 4, and so on.

If Xn=2n+1, for example, the term where n=1 is 2(1)+1=3, the second (n=2) is 2(2)+1=5, and so on. When we say X(n+1)=2Xn+1, and X0=2, for example, we mean that when we plug in any term in the sequence (which we call n), the very next term in the sequence will be given by multiplying that first term by two and adding one. Knowing that X0=2 gives us a value we can plug into the equation to find the other values.

I tried to keep this as simple and non-calculus as possible, but I also wrote it at 4:00 AM... Let me know if you have questions.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 2:42:31 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/21/2016 11:19:10 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 10/20/2016 10:33:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Did anyone else agree with me?

Calc II student here. While I would have waited until the end to round, your work is correct. Oddly enough, we just started doing these things again (we've started learning series now, which rely heavily on understanding sequences).

Someone owes me a soul then.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
famousdebater
Posts: 3,940
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 9:36:13 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 11:01:15 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Well, if I'm right you owe me your soul.

You got it right.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 10:15:07 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/21/2016 9:36:13 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 10/20/2016 11:01:15 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Well, if I'm right you owe me your soul.

You got it right.

Sucks for you then.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
famousdebater
Posts: 3,940
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 9:58:42 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Sucks for you then.

Or for somebody else.

At 10/21/2016 2:42:31 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Someone owes me a soul then.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 10:08:05 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 9:58:42 AM, famousdebater wrote:
Sucks for you then.

Or for somebody else.

At 10/21/2016 2:42:31 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Someone owes me a soul then.

Now you've learned that , life is going to be a breeze.