airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 6:46:44 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
Debate can be viewed here:

http://www.debate.org...

This was a quick but interesting debate, and both debaters did a decent job of representing their positions, given the limitations of the debate set-up, specifically the very low character limit.

However, I believe that one side in particular did a better job and I will detail the reason for my voting decision below.

Round 1: Pro

Pro opens up the debate with 2 points:

1) Blake's 7 (B7) is revolutionary. OSU is just a rhythm game.

2) The inclusion of the specific glorious thing referenced.

While Pro's second point is interesting I suppose, it's his first point that really carries weight here as he states specifically that B7 is revolutionary because it introduced "the concepts of seasonal cliffhangers, story arcs, and the first protagonist to be an actual antihero."

This point has a major impact on this debate, and Con will have to show that this isn't true, and/or that osu has some comparable redeeming factor about it.

We'll see if Con does either of these...

Round 1: Con

Con's major point in this round is that while osu is a rhythm game, it's far more than that. He goes on to describe that it's unique and enjoyable unlike any other game of its type.

He further states that if he wanted to watch 60-70s sci-fi he could watch Star Trek.

Round 1 result:

While Con does a decent job of painting a positive picture of osu, and undermining B7 slightly with the Star Trek remark, he doesn't touch on the "revolutionary" argument put forth by Pro. At the moment, this is the largest impact of the debate to me, so we'll see if Con attempts to rebut it in the next round.

Round 2: Pro

Pro pokes fun at Con's comment in Round 1, and then touches on Con's argument relating to Star Trek. I don't believe this had much of an impact on this debate.

Round 2: Con

Con does well by developing the Star Trek argument further, making the case that it was essentially a "me too" genre inclusion on a lower budget. I believe these are both valid points.

Round 2 result:

I believe Con actually did much better here given what was being discussed. There wasn't enough space here to really get into any depth on the Star Trek argument, but Con did a decent job of making the case that Star Trek is preferable for whatever reason.

However, this isn't what the debate was about. So while Con may have made a decent point here, the question is about whether B7 is better than OSU.

Debate conclusion:

Con makes some good points about osu in his opening round, explaining that the game is fun and for the reasons he described, but what I feel is the biggest impact in this debate is the argument put forth by Pro that B7 is revolutionary and introduced "the concepts of seasonal cliffhangers, story arcs, and the first protagonist to be an actual antihero." Con doesn't refute this, or even touch on it directly in any way, so therefore this argument holds, in my view, as the greatest impact on making the argument for B7's ranking among two things that I personally don't care for.

So due to this, I award Arguments to Pro.
Debate.org Moderator
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 7:06:21 AM
At 11/13/2016 6:46:44 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

This was a quick but interesting debate, and both debaters did a decent job of representing their positions, given the limitations of the debate set-up, specifically the very low character limit.

However, I believe that one side in particular did a better job and I will detail the reason for my voting decision below.

While Pro's second point is interesting I suppose, it's his first point that really carries weight here as he states specifically that B7 is revolutionary because it introduced "the concepts of seasonal cliffhangers, story arcs, and the first protagonist to be an actual antihero."

This point has a major impact on this debate, and Con will have to show that this isn't true, and/or that osu has some comparable redeeming factor about it.

Con's major point in this round is that while osu is a rhythm game, it's far more than that. He goes on to describe that it's unique and enjoyable unlike any other game of its type.

He further states that if he wanted to watch 60-70s sci-fi he could watch Star Trek.

Round 1 result:

While Con does a decent job of painting a positive picture of osu, and undermining B7 slightly with the Star Trek remark, he doesn't touch on the "revolutionary" argument put forth by Pro. At the moment, this is the largest impact of the debate to me, so we'll see if Con attempts to rebut it in the next round.

Pro pokes fun at Con's comment in Round 1, and then touches on Con's argument relating to Star Trek. I don't believe this had much of an impact on this debate.

Con does well by developing the Star Trek argument further, making the case that it was essentially a "me too" genre inclusion on a lower budget. I believe these are both valid points.

Round 2 result:

I believe Con actually did much better here given what was being discussed. There wasn't enough space here to really get into any depth on the Star Trek argument, but Con did a decent job of making the case that Star Trek is preferable for whatever reason.

However, this isn't what the debate was about. So while Con may have made a decent point here, the question is about whether B7 is better than OSU.

Debate conclusion:

Con makes some good points about osu in his opening round, explaining that the game is fun and for the reasons he described, but what I feel is the biggest impact in this debate is the argument put forth by Pro that B7 is revolutionary and introduced "the concepts of seasonal cliffhangers, story arcs, and the first protagonist to be an actual antihero." Con doesn't refute this, or even touch on it directly in any way, so therefore this argument holds, in my view, as the greatest impact on making the argument for B7's ranking among two things that I personally don't care for.

This vote is objectively wrong and anyone who agrees with it is both wrong and stupid.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 3:22:43 PM
At 11/13/2016 7:06:21 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Round 1 result:

Round 2 result:

Debate conclusion:

This vote is objectively wrong and anyone who agrees with it is both wrong and stupid.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 1:44:32 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/13/2016 3:22:43 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

Round 1 result:

Round 2 result:

Debate conclusion:

You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 8:37:06 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/15/2016 1:44:32 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 11/13/2016 3:22:43 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

Round 1 result:

Round 2 result:

Debate conclusion:

#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka