Speak to Tweet opens Twitter to Egypt

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 6:22:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.kpsplocal2.com...

Google has helped launch a new service to help people in Egypt get the word out about their experiences with the current uprising, despite an internet block.

Along with Twitter and SayNow (a company recently acquired by Google that develops voice-based social-media-friendly products) engineers have devised a way that people can tweet by leaving a voicemail on one of three international phone numbers.

No internet connection is required. They're calling it speak-to-tweet: the ability for anyone to tweet using only a voice connection.

The company launched the product Monday afternoon, and the voicemails instantly began pouring in as word of the new service spread.

One such voicemail was left from a woman in Cairo:

"I just wanted to let the world know that we have been disconnected from our last point of communications from the internet. And there is strong word going around that we will again be disconnected from mobile phone calls.

Um, so I wanted to let everyone know in case you don't get any feedback from what's happening tomorrow, and I didn't want anyone to worry about us.

They did this before; the only difference is the last time they did this, I was completely freaked out. I was too scared that they are going to shoot us all and nobody would know about it.

This time, I'm not scared at all. I feel as if, like, I want to ask them 'bring it on!' We are excited. We are happy. We are going to be in Tahrir Square tomorrow. We are going to be huge and we are going to do our march and do our protest and Mubarak is going out. Be with us. Bye bye."

Google announced the product in its blog on Monday, saying they are just trying to help the "people on the ground."

"We hope that this will go some way to helping people in Egypt stay connected at this very difficult time," the blog stated. "Our thoughts are with everyone there."

The numbers that people can call to get their word out are:
+16504194196 or +390662207294 or +97316199855

To check out all the voicemails as they come in, visit twitter.com/speak2tweet.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 6:24:13 PM
http://www.saynow.com...
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 6:27:07 PM
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 6:31:33 PM
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 6:35:24 PM
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 6:37:17 PM
Translation from one in arabic:

"we dont want ppl the army we want civ. were sick of it. we learned lesson & woke up. this is our country"
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 6:45:23 PM
At 1/31/2011 6:42:10 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
Where did you find this? I suspect reddit, but you would've picked a better video in the viral video challenge if you were a redditor.

Found it on a comments section of an MSNBC article involving Egypt
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 6:48:34 PM
http://twitter.com...