Jump to topic:

History Channel

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 8:00:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It got terrible, I used to enjoy watching programs on WWII and actual historical events on there. Now its ax-men and ice road truckers, the new slogan is something like "History, Made everyday". Its hardly even watchable now, I didn't mind the pawn show so much as at least I got to learn about some historical items but some of the programming is just a joke.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 8:05:29 PM
lol, I sympathize. They hardly even show programs about actual historical events anymore. They might as well just re-name or bring back the historical programming.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 8:22:37 PM
Yeah, I miss Modern Marvels, Wild West Tech, Ancient Aliens, and those shows on ancient warfare *sniff*.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 8:34:16 PM
At 2/7/2011 8:00:36 PM, lewis20 wrote:
It got terrible, I used to enjoy watching programs on WWII and actual historical events on there. Now its ax-men and ice road truckers, the new slogan is something like "History, Made everyday". Its hardly even watchable now, I didn't mind the pawn show so much as at least I got to learn about some historical items but some of the programming is just a joke.

Oh my God, and don't forget the freaking Nostradamus crap they try to shove down our throats. "WILL THE WORLD END IN 2012?!?!?!111 find out when The Nostradamus Effect returns!"

History Channel, I am disappoint :(
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 8:37:08 PM
All the cool channels have become TLC for men. TLC ironically was The Learning Channel before my mother started watching it.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 8:39:11 PM
At 2/7/2011 8:37:08 PM, Grape wrote:
All the cool channels have become TLC for men. TLC ironically was The Learning Channel before my mother started watching it.

Now it's just a bunch of reality T.V crap. They have good stuff once in awhile, but it has mostly gone to sh*t. This is partially why I very rarely watch T.V anymore. There's rarely any good shows anymore.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 8:47:08 PM
At 2/7/2011 8:44:10 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Werd. I do like Gangland though :P

YES!
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 8:52:50 PM
: At 2/7/2011 8:00:36 PM, lewis20 wrote:

To be fair though, history is in the past, and such programs like ax-men and ice road truckers are just as historical as things about WWII. Just because there has been a longer period of time between the present and WWII than there has between the events of ax-men or ice road truckers to the present, doesn't make ax-men OR ice road truckers any less valuable in being used to entertain viewers than documentaries about WWII.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 9:44:10 PM
At 2/7/2011 8:52:50 PM, GodSands wrote:

To be fair though, history is in the past, and such programs like ax-men and ice road truckers are just as historical as things about WWII. Just because there has been a longer period of time between the present and WWII than there has between the events of ax-men or ice road truckers to the present, doesn't make ax-men OR ice road truckers any less valuable in being used to entertain viewers than documentaries about WWII.

You're right every show ever made is a show about history. Way to go.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 9:45:12 PM
At 2/7/2011 9:44:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Me typing this is historical.

GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 10:35:43 PM
: At 2/7/2011 9:45:12 PM, lewis20 wrote:

In response to that, the History channel says, "We could make something out of this.".
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 12:20:27 AM
At 2/7/2011 9:45:12 PM, lewis20 wrote:

I lol'ed. xD
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 5:58:55 AM
It got terrible, I used to enjoy watching programs on WWII and actual historical events on there. Now its ax-men and ice road truckers, the new slogan is something like "History, Made everyday". Its hardly even watchable now, I didn't mind the pawn show so much as at least I got to learn about some historical items but some of the programming is just a joke.:

Agreed on all counts.

It's all about ratings. The demographic for people wanting to learn about the Peloponnesian War is swamped by how many people want to see Snooki make smash-smash.

Conflict television is still the most marketable, because human beings are sadists and masochists.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 12:05:21 PM
Pawn Stars = awesomeness...

but otherwise yep.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 3:34:07 PM

Absolutely! The Military History channel has a little more, but you are so correct, and we've been complaining about this for a while. Oddly enough, the History Channel is doing quite well in the ratings, it's one of the strongest cable stations, you'd think they'd use their resources a little better and know their audience better. There was a history of England that was outstanding, like 8 hours long; and one on the American revolution that wasn't bad. I don't know why they abandoned that sort of programming.