Jump to topic:

Cooking Tips

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 11:25:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ok so in the other thread i posted recipes and what I was making but really didn't say much else. I will still continue that thread but in addition I will add a tips thread. In this thread I'll post all the knowledge I have now of how to cook and what I wish I knew starting college.

First I'll start off with knives.

The first thing to do when you go to college and live in an apartment is to buy knives. Knives can last literally your entire life, they make cooking a breeze if they are properly taken care of and are of good quality.

--------------What Knives Should I Choose------------------------

There are a ton of different knives of many shapes and sizes. So what do you need? Experts agree that you only need a small number of knives to cook properly.

-Paring Knife
-Sandwich Knife
-Chef Knife - 8 inches
-Bread Knife
- Santoku Knife - Optional

A paring knife is a small knife with a plain edge blade that is ideal for peeling and other small or intricate work (such as de-veining a shrimp, removing the seeds from a jalapeño, or cutting small garnishes). It is designed to be an all-purpose knife, similar to a chef's knife, except smaller. Paring knives are usually between 6 and 10 cm (2½ and 4 inches) long

Chef Knife is a long heavy duty knife that is probably the most comonly recognized. It's used for chopping bone, chopping vegetables and is pretty general purpose.

Sandwich knife is a medium bladed used for cutting apples, sandwiches, etc. Medium sized things that a paring would be too small for and a chef's knife would be ackward for.

Bread Knife - For bread clearly

Santoku - A backup for a chef knife. Some prefer it for lighter duties that a chef's knife is typically used for.
----------------------------Terminology------------------------------

Tang: The portion of the metal blade that extends into the handle, giving the knife stability and extra weigh

Scales: The two portions of handle material (wood, plastic, composite, etc.) that are attached to either side of the tang

B Tip: The first third of the blade (approximately), which is used for small or delicate work. Also known as belly or curve when curved, as on a chef's knife.

D Heel: The rear part of the blade, used for cutting activities that require more force
------------------------Features to Have------------------

What is it made out of?

High carbon stainless steel - maintains edge for longer, doesn't rust or discolor

How is it made?

Forged - made in an intricate, multi-step process, often by skilled manual labor. A chunk of solid or powdered steel alloy is heated to a high temperature, and pounded while hot to form it. The blade is then heated above critical temperature (which varies between alloys), quenched in an appropriate quenchant, and tempered to the desired hardness. These are superior in quality and durability than factory made stamped blades.

----------------------------Brands to Buy-----------------------------
Victorinox 46892 Fibrox 3-Piece Chef's Knife Set - 75 Dollars - Free Shipping

Link:
http://www.amazon.com...

Attributes:
- * 4-inch paring knife, 8-inch slicer, and 10-inch chef's knife
- Stamped
- High-carbon stainless steel
- Lifetime warranty

Best reviewed budget knife set - http://www.consumersearch.com...

Most beginners can get away with not using a bread knife as they typically don't make homemade bread until later.

Wusthof Classic Gourmet 3-Piece Knife Set - 175 dollars - Free shipping

Attributes:
- 8-inch cook's, pointed 3.5-inch paring, and 6-inch sandwich knives
- Forged
- High Carbon-Stainless Steel
- Lifetime Warranty

Ratings:

Best rated knife set used in the culinary industry.

http://www.consumersearch.com...

Personal Knife Set

I own the wusthof knives and I can tell you from using them that they feel like an extension of my hand. They are perfectly balaced and you can noticeably tell from picking them up how well they are balanced. They were unbelievably sharp and were like no knife I had ever used before. Worth the money considering how many years I'll be using them with a warranty

-------------------------------Maintenance---------------------------

So how do you take care of your babies now that you own them? There are a number of things that a cook must do to ensure that his knives are in top working order:

1. Use a wood cutting board preferably bamboo. It harbors less bacteria and is incredibly easy on your knives. NEVER use a glass or composite cutting board. Ever.

2. Sharpen your knives with a sharpening set once per year

I recommend this sharpening system:
available for 54 dollars with a lifetime warranty
http://www.consumersearch.com...

3. Hone your knives before each use.

So what is the difference between sharpening and honing? Simple. Sharpening takes off the metal to make the blade sharper and fixes nicks and dulled blades. Honing does not take off metal but microscopically bends the blade back to a perfect straightness. When you cut with each slice your blade bends to either the left or the right microscopicaly by honing your blade before each use you have a sharper blade that doesn't dull as quickly.

A ton of people (even professional chefs) call this process sharpening. It doesn't sharpen (remove metal) it hones (straightens).

To hone you buy a honing steel which again by manufacturers is incorrectly called a "sharpening steel" I reccommend getting this great one for 18 bucks free shipping from Henckels. It's great and easy to use.

DO NOT get one with diamond dust as this will actually remove the metal from the blade and is not a honing steel.

4. Do not stick your babies in the dishwasher. You wouldn't do it with children, don't do it with knives. Handwash them and hand dry them delicately attempting t not touch or mar the point.

5. Do not store them hapazardly in a drawer. Use a wood block or store them in their original packaging (box with knife indents. This prevents knicks. I prefer the original packaging because I don't have to buy something.

Attached is a video on how to hone your blade.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 7:19:25 PM
So the next tip I have is a pretty decent one that I use on a pretty frequent basis when I'm cooking chicken.

-------------------------How to Bread Chicken------------------------------------

What you Need:
rolling pin
Plastic wrap or wax paper
plate
fork
Measuring spoons and cups

skinless boneless chicken breast
Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (near the bread aisle in your grocery store)
eggs
flour
salt and pepper

Optional:
Parmesan powered, pecans (chopped with chef knife to breadcrumb consistency)

1. Sandwich your chicken breast in between the sheet of wax paper and slam the rolling pin down onto the chicken breast multiple times. Keep doing this until the chicken breast has expanded and is flat and even to about 1/2 to 1/4 inch thickness.

2. Take a little less than 1/4 cup of flour and sprinkle 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper and mix it together on a plate

3. coat the chicken breast with the flour by turning it over multiple times making sure flour covers all parts of the breast

4. Rinse off the same plate and crack an an egg on it.

5. Use a fork to whisk the egg until the yolk and the egg become a yellowy mass.

6. Turn and coat the chicken breast in the egg mixture, rinse off the plate, dry the plate with a paper towel

7. Pour 1 cup of breadcrumbs onto the dried plate and turn the chicken breast over multiple times while pressing down on the chicken breast to ensure that it is evenly coated.

OPTIONAL: You can vary this up and change up the flavor by mixing Parmesan in with the breadcrumbs or crushed pecans.

8. Your breast is ready to be fried in 1 TB of olive oil preferably on a cast iron until brown and then baked in the oven at 350 until the juices run clear and it is cooked the entire way through.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 7:57:10 PM
Here's an example how to do it. Except that they don't beat their chicken and use a shitt ton of dishes

Advantages of my instructions:

1. Quick cleanup - 1 plate vs. 4 plates
2. By beating the chicken you make it cook faster, cooks evenly (all sides touching pan), beating the chicken tenderizes it.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 7:58:16 PM
Also my servings are for 1 breast, just multiply from there. 1 egg should suffice for at least three breasts.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 10:13:08 PM
This taught me how to make homemade french fries that are pretty good.

After this put them flat on a baking pan with some peanut oil and salt and bake at 400 for 20 - 30 mins. Violia! French fries which are a nice appetizer to burgers, sloppy joes, hotdogs, etc.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 10:19:25 PM
At 3/14/2011 10:13:08 PM, askbob wrote:

This taught me how to make homemade french fries that are pretty good.

After this put them flat on a baking pan with some peanut oil and salt and bake at 400 for 20 - 30 mins. Violia! French fries which are a nice appetizer to burgers, sloppy joes, hotdogs, etc.

My mom makes this, though she cuts off the skin.
kfc