Jump to topic:

Do YOU like debate.org or what ?

interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 2:27:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I mean. It is much more intriguing than Facebook. And MySpace.
Of course those formats are different.
You have Yahoo Answers, Experince Project, and Topix just to name
a few. But how well does this place do compared to them.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 2:44:54 PM
The debating format on this site is very unique, I haven't been able to find it anywhere else. That is one of its biggest attractions.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 2:45:57 PM
At 2/10/2011 2:44:54 PM, OreEle wrote:
The debating format on this site is very unique, I haven't been able to find it anywhere else. That is one of its biggest attractions.

I'd be gone (very, very long time ago) if not for it.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 6:31:53 PM
I like this site, its not a big waste of my time and intelligence like Facebook and Myspace, I am also(for the most part) well respected by members. This is why I like DDO
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 11:37:00 PM
If I didn't like DDO, I'd be gone by now. It's a great place to learn, test out theories, befriend those whom you'd probably never have contact with otherwise... To really join in on the discussions and have your beliefs, opinions, ideologies, etc. ripped apart and examined while analyzing and critiquing others is a really fun thing to do if you are willing to read what others have to say and keep an open mind.

It can also teach you how to respond to criticism with civility. To survive one week in the forums, you have to be able to back your sh!t up -- jumping into a forum and saying "I believe in X because I do." is not enough. Lol. And the more you know and contribute, the better time you will have! The respect of others on this site is not critical but it is hard to earn -- and I would recommend being respectable. I'm always scared that people will see that I post and think, "Great, she posted again... <sigh>" LOL.

Basically, I would urge all the n00bs and lurkers to jump into the conversations. Don't be afraid to post in the forums where you aren't as comfortable -- you'll learn fast. Just be open about what you believe to be true, be willing to defend it and remember, disagreement is the purpose of the site -- try not to take it personally if 10 people jump into the forum saying "ROFL, you really believe that?!" Being thoughtful, open minded and willing to learn will help you a lot. ^_^
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 8:23:35 AM
I concur (as usual) with Annhasle, and would add that the membership of DDO is not so large that becomes impersonal: you can "get to know" people from very different walks of life quite easily and get to know what makes them tick.

From a political perspective, as a member of the Labour Party, I could go on their forums to discuss current affairs but the members are: all British (so are not often concerned with foreign politics); mainly share similar opinions (which is boring – there's no fun in preaching to the converted); and don't, generally speaking, have a sense of humour (which means I'd be thrown off the site for making offensive remarks very quickly).
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 9:04:19 AM
I like DDO. I come from a place where a lot of people around me were stupid as hell, so DDO was my escape from that. When I first moved to Illinois in 09 and didn't know anybody here, DDO helped me pass the time.

My girlfriend despises DDO with every fiber of her being. She's always so b!tchy on here (and IRL she is the nicest. person. ever.) because for some reason members here frustrate her to no end. I have no idea why. She just doesn't have the patience for DDO lol and she is the most patient person I know (far more than myself!) so I can't really explain it. I just know how annoyed she looks every time she browses so she usually doesn't. She said she's closing her account after her mafia game, and that's sad because I know she is so smart, and I wish she liked DDO... it is where we met after all! :P

So you can make friends/ meet people/ network here (if one of you makes it big, you can always feel free to hook me up with a job...). Overseas even! Eggleston I'm lookin' at you.
President of DDO
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 10:26:35 AM
At 2/17/2011 9:04:19 AM, Danielle wrote:
I like DDO. I come from a place where a lot of people around me were stupid as hell, so DDO was my escape from that. When I first moved to Illinois in 09 and didn't know anybody here, DDO helped me pass the time.

my friends are idiots! everyone of them is a godsands.. it's annoying.. but they're good crack besides that.. and i've ye for all the other stuff :)

My girlfriend despises DDO with every fiber of her being. She's always so b!tchy on here (and IRL she is the nicest. person. ever.) because for some reason members here frustrate her to no end. I have no idea why. She just doesn't have the patience for DDO lol and she is the most patient person I know (far more than myself!) so I can't really explain it. I just know how annoyed she looks every time she browses so she usually doesn't. She said she's closing her account after her mafia game, and that's sad because I know she is so smart, and I wish she liked DDO... it is where we met after all! :P

So you can make friends/ meet people/ network here (if one of you makes it big, you can always feel free to hook me up with a job...). Overseas even! Eggleston I'm lookin' at you.

also this! i'd make an excellent strip club manager?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 10:28:12 AM
At 2/17/2011 10:26:35 AM, badger wrote:

my friends are idiots! everyone of them is a godsands.. it's annoying.. but they're good crack besides that.. and i've ye for all the other stuff :)

well my usual crowd anyway.. and one of them is interested in things too though which is kinda cool..

signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 10:31:28 AM
At 2/17/2011 10:28:12 AM, badger wrote:
At 2/17/2011 10:26:35 AM, badger wrote:

well my usual crowd anyway.. and one of them is interested in things too though which is kinda cool..

the rest of them hate thinking. which is a balls i suppose really.. even though you'd be thinking it about some people on here sometimes lol.. nah i joke.. ye're all great :) ...except you puck.

signature
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:34:42 AM
f/a/o theLwerd (sorry, but after 3 years it seems strange to suddenly start addressing you as "Danielle")

There are jobs going at my company, as it happens, in fact we're desperate for staff. However, the vacancies are all for qualified and experienced travel counsellors (as they are called in America).

Nevertheless, I bet I could get you a job with one of my clients, at least as an intern. What do you know about investment banking?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:44:24 AM
At 2/17/2011 11:34:42 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
What do you know about investment banking?

That it's immoral ;P
President of DDO
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:48:09 AM
At 2/17/2011 11:34:42 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
f/a/o theLwerd (sorry, but after 3 years it seems strange to suddenly start addressing you as "Danielle")

There are jobs going at my company, as it happens, in fact we're desperate for staff. However, the vacancies are all for qualified and experienced travel counsellors (as they are called in America).

Nevertheless, I bet I could get you a job with one of my clients, at least as an intern. What do you know about investment banking?

I'm in Finance Brian and am currently interviewing for i-banking. I can be your peon working 14 hour days in a dark hole with a bunch of other interns! I have a 3.92 cumulative GPA from a decently respectible honors college!
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:49:12 AM
At 2/17/2011 11:44:52 AM, Danielle wrote:
Just kidding... I was mostly kidding with my request but thanks anyway Brian :)

No drama, theLwerd...I mean, Danielle!

It's ironic that I rant about investment bankers on this site but my best clients are investment banks and some of my closest friends are investment bankers!
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 6:06:19 PM
At 2/17/2011 8:27:02 AM, FREEDO wrote:
My favorite website.

At 2/10/2011 11:37:00 PM, annhasle wrote:
If I didn't like DDO, I'd be gone by now.
To really join in on the discussions and have your beliefs, opinions, ideologies, etc. ripped apart and examined while analyzing and critiquing others is a really fun thing to do if you are willing to read what others have to say and keep an open mind.

It can also teach you how to respond to criticism with civility. To survive one week in the forums, you have to be able to back your sh!t up -- jumping into a forum and saying "I believe in X because I do." is not enough. Lol.

Especially this... lolz does anyone remember the Glen Beck thread a few months ago? :) I def learned that lesson the hard way :)

At 2/17/2011 3:40:43 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
If I didn't why the eff would I be here?

^^All of these
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 12:31:35 PM
At 2/17/2011 11:50:00 AM, annhasle wrote:
@ Danielle

Vi is closing her account?!?! D:

So she says. She has work, school, clubs and a social life -- much busier life than me, because I'm not in 5 upper level classes like she is (I'm in zero, and then in the fall we switch and she's in zero and I'm back in lol) so she has that plus homework for them. Plus her boss is RIDICULOUS and stresses her out like whoa. Also I'm only in 1 club with her but she does several, and is very active (admittedly I find most activism a waste of time, though I will hopefully engage in some meaningful stuff soon). So, she doesn't like to "debate." She likes to discuss, but she thinks people here are very arrogant and all yell and don't listen. I told her that she is very nasty when she is here lol. And she said it's because she doesn't have time to discuss maturely on DDO, so she just states the obvious abruptly and leaves. I dunno - she just hates it here lol she says "DDO" with disgust and contempt :P I'm pretty sure she'll be inactive-ish for awhile.
President of DDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 1:28:40 AM
At 2/18/2011 12:31:35 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 2/17/2011 11:50:00 AM, annhasle wrote:
@ Danielle

Vi is closing her account?!?! D:

So she says. She has work, school, clubs and a social life -- much busier life than me, because I'm not in 5 upper level classes like she is (I'm in zero, and then in the fall we switch and she's in zero and I'm back in lol) so she has that plus homework for them. Plus her boss is RIDICULOUS and stresses her out like whoa. Also I'm only in 1 club with her but she does several, and is very active (admittedly I find most activism a waste of time, though I will hopefully engage in some meaningful stuff soon). So, she doesn't like to "debate." She likes to discuss, but she thinks people here are very arrogant and all yell and don't listen. I told her that she is very nasty when she is here lol. And she said it's because she doesn't have time to discuss maturely on DDO, so she just states the obvious abruptly and leaves. I dunno - she just hates it here lol she says "DDO" with disgust and contempt :P I'm pretty sure she'll be inactive-ish for awhile.

Ah, that sucks. Vi is cool.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!