Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Protests spread to Iran

Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 10:24:15 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://news.gather.com...

Protests began in Iran yesterday. Anyone think that these might lead to similar outcomes?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 10:26:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/15/2011 10:24:15 AM, OreEle wrote:
http://news.gather.com...

Protests began in Iran yesterday. Anyone think that these might lead to similar outcomes?

The general opinion seems to be that Iran is too secure for this, but I wouldn't know.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 10:37:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/15/2011 10:26:12 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 2/15/2011 10:24:15 AM, OreEle wrote:
http://news.gather.com...

Protests began in Iran yesterday. Anyone think that these might lead to similar outcomes?

The general opinion seems to be that Iran is too secure for this, but I wouldn't know.

That's what i heard as well, and they know who the protest leaders are, and will surgically strike to knock out their influence. Makes you wonder if this stuff is only effective where their is some element of moderation in the country.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 10:53:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/15/2011 10:37:28 AM, innomen wrote:
At 2/15/2011 10:26:12 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 2/15/2011 10:24:15 AM, OreEle wrote:
http://news.gather.com...

Protests began in Iran yesterday. Anyone think that these might lead to similar outcomes?

The general opinion seems to be that Iran is too secure for this, but I wouldn't know.

That's what i heard as well, and they know who the protest leaders are, and will surgically strike to knock out their influence. Makes you wonder if this stuff is only effective where their is some element of moderation in the country.

The opposition leaders where placed under house arrest (with no access to the outside world) before the protests began, yet they still attracted over 200,000 people.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 11:25:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/15/2011 10:53:21 AM, OreEle wrote:
Though maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part.

In countries like North Korea, China, Iran etc. i don't see change working that way. Their grips are pretty tight.
Veridas
Posts: 733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 11:43:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
How effective a people's revolt is tends to depend a lot on the modus operandi of the Government.

Iran, for instance, is a highly Islamic country, even Saudi Arabia is less hardline. Iran's protests may be stifled by the religious duties of the people. Additionally, the leaders of the country may use their piety as proof of their devotion (circular logic yes, but it has been used in the past and it does work, for some reason) to all aspects of their life, including their religion, their jobs, their authority, and so on.

By comparison, a country like North Korea tends not to focus too much on religion. Meaning the only tools the government have are fear and propaganda. Once the people cease to feel that fear, and begin to see through the popaganda, the Government becomes powerless to control them.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?