Jump to topic:

Toppling Ruthless Dictators

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:52:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Good luck to the brave people who have risen up against tyranny in North Africa and the Middle East – I sincerely wish them every success.

However, since there have been no effective oppositions in most of these regimes, the danger is that the power vacuums created when these despots are overthrown will be filled by religious fanatics.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:59:16 AM
I feared that right from the beginning actually; The Muslim Brotherhood seems to have interest in staging a coup in Egypt for example...
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 9:11:35 AM
We'll see. I'm not optimistic, but certainly hopeful that the people will take their nation, and establish a democratic, secular government.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 11:25:53 AM
At 2/22/2011 9:11:35 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
We'll see. I'm not optimistic, but certainly hopeful that the people will take their nation, and establish a democratic, secular government.

Turkey did in 1923 with Kemal Ataturk.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 2:55:15 PM
At 2/22/2011 9:11:35 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:

I wouldn't get my hopes up. The revolution in Tunisia was actually triggered due to the fact people felt it was too secular or so I've heard. Many people don't realize that most middle easterners seem to have a different perspective on democracy than we do in the west.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 2:58:27 PM
Friends I got stationed over there think it something planned by the U.S.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 8:09:14 PM
At 2/22/2011 2:58:27 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

That isn't true. The main cause is pent up anger being driven by rising food prices, and a lack of economic opportunity due to corruption. And, when food accounts for 30-40% of your disposable income, it hurts. Because there was no political outlets for these people to vent their anger, it finally exploded, and everyone took to the streets; they were sick of it.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 8:12:22 PM
At 2/22/2011 2:55:15 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I wouldn't get my hopes up. The revolution in Tunisia was actually triggered due to the fact people felt it was too secular or so I've heard. Many people don't realize that most middle easterners seem to have a different perspective on democracy than we do in the west.

Actually, Tunisia has a very highly educated populace, along with the highest demand for a secular, democratic government. The protests were sparked by a college student who set himself on fire in protest to political repression, no economic future, and corruption. His actions represented what everyone was feeling, and when he died in the hospital a week or two later, the public snapped, and the Kraken was released.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 4:23:24 AM
At 2/22/2011 8:09:14 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:

That isn't true. The main cause is pent up anger being driven by rising food prices, and a lack of economic opportunity due to corruption. And, when food accounts for 30-40% of your disposable income, it hurts. Because there was no political outlets for these people to vent their anger, it finally exploded, and everyone took to the streets; they were sick of it.

The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. A conspiracy theorist could reasonably argue that the global elite (a good deal of it based in the US) had engineered the global depression to provoke unrest and revolution in the middle east.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:07:49 PM

My suspicions exactly. Whenever their has been an effort for a people's revolution the United States has always been against it, for it challenges their imperial control. The fact that America isn't overtly against it this times makes me very weary.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:11:23 PM
At 2/22/2011 4:52:39 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Good luck to the brave people who have risen up against tyranny in North Africa and the Middle East – I sincerely wish them every success.

However, since there have been no effective oppositions in most of these regimes, the danger is that the power vacuums created when these despots are overthrown will be filled by religious fanatics.

Well why can't the anarchy just maintain itself after the colapse of the governments?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:41:31 PM
At 2/24/2011 6:07:49 PM, FREEDO wrote:

My suspicions exactly. Whenever their has been an effort for a people's revolution the United States has always been against it, for it challenges their imperial control. The fact that America isn't overtly against it this times makes me very weary.

How could, watching it happen, the American government come out against the people? I don't see how we would be able to twist it toward supporting the dictator vs democratic uprising. Even though thats what we had been doing for years.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler