Schools Should Not Be Sued For Suicide

RockUrSox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 7:17:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.cnn.com...

Interesting. Sounds like something I've heard before. While I think schools should do more for bullying, they should not be held liable for a student who chooses to take his or her own life. That's just ridiculous. I got bullied when I was a kid. I'll admit I even bullied other kids. I did it at school and the teachers didn't know. It happened to me away from school. It's what kids do. Teaching self-esteem comes from home, not from teachers. And suing the school because your child killed his or herself is just a cop out or a way to displace your hurt and anger at someone.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 1:20:14 PM
At 3/29/2011 7:17:04 PM, RockUrSox wrote:

Interesting. Sounds like something I've heard before. While I think schools should do more for bullying, they should not be held liable for a student who chooses to take his or her own life. That's just ridiculous. I got bullied when I was a kid. I'll admit I even bullied other kids. I did it at school and the teachers didn't know. It happened to me away from school. It's what kids do. Teaching self-esteem comes from home, not from teachers. And suing the school because your child killed his or herself is just a cop out or a way to displace your hurt and anger at someone.

If the school is aware of the seriousness of the problem and chooses to do nothing, then the school should be held to a degree of responsibility.

Just like if I see someone choking to death in the middle of the road, and sit down to watch their live painfully end while I eat some popcorn I just happen to have, rather than doing something to save the life (whether or not the attempt is successful), I should be held to a degree of responsibility.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 12:30:44 PM
Okay, so what did the parents do about it? They're trying to sue the school, but you're telling me they never noticed their own son was being bullied at school and if so, they didn't do anything about it? Wow, you'd think when your son comes home every other day saying he was pushed into a trashcan you'd either take it up with the school board or transfer him to a safer school. I can't even begin to tell you how disappointed I am in the parents...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 12:35:09 PM
At 4/3/2011 12:30:44 PM, nonentity wrote:
Okay, so what did the parents do about it? They're trying to sue the school, but you're telling me they never noticed their own son was being bullied at school and if so, they didn't do anything about it? Wow, you'd think when your son comes home every other day saying he was pushed into a trashcan you'd either take it up with the school board or transfer him to a safer school. I can't even begin to tell you how disappointed I am in the parents...

And even if the kid didn't tell his parents what was going on at school, only an uninvolved parent would fail to realize something was wrong and fail to ask questions. People need to take responsibility for their own actions, or lack thereof.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 4:37:47 PM
At 3/30/2011 1:20:14 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/29/2011 7:17:04 PM, RockUrSox wrote:

If the school is aware of the seriousness of the problem and chooses to do nothing, then the school should be held to a degree of responsibility.

Just like if I see someone choking to death in the middle of the road, and sit down to watch their live painfully end while I eat some popcorn I just happen to have, rather than doing something to save the life (whether or not the attempt is successful), I should be held to a degree of responsibility.

If the person could choke you as well, then it would be logically that you wouldn't help out of fear. Also if you have the opportunity to save someone's life, and choose not to, that does not make you liable for their death. There are charities that exist that could save others life, but I choose not to donate. However, I am not liable for their deaths.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 5:07:38 PM
If the school is aware of the seriousness of the problem and chooses to do nothing, then the school should be held to a degree of responsibility.:

To a very small degree, I suppose, but there is so much room for plausible deniability that it would be very difficult to prosecute.

Just like if I see someone choking to death in the middle of the road, and sit down to watch their live painfully end while I eat some popcorn I just happen to have, rather than doing something to save the life (whether or not the attempt is successful), I should be held to a degree of responsibility.:

There is no legal basis to help a person dying. There can be a baby drowning two feet in front of you and you could legally stand there and watch them die without any legal consequence to you.

Now, one would argue that you have a moral responsibility to save them, and most people feel that sense of urgency. But there is no legal basis for it.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 5:29:28 PM
And legally, if you try to help someone without being asked and end up causing damage, you would be liable.

Good to see you back, Paradigm!
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 5:43:32 PM
At 4/3/2011 5:29:28 PM, nonentity wrote:
And legally, if you try to help someone without being asked and end up causing damage, you would be liable.:

It all depends on who is giving the assistance. The average citizen is protected under the Good Samaritan law, but a person trained as an EMT would be held liable for malpractice.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Good to see you back, Paradigm!:

*Muah* Thanks! Good to be back.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 5:59:18 PM
At 4/3/2011 5:43:32 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 4/3/2011 5:29:28 PM, nonentity wrote:
And legally, if you try to help someone without being asked and end up causing damage, you would be liable.:

It all depends on who is giving the assistance. The average citizen is protected under the Good Samaritan law, but a person trained as an EMT would be held liable for malpractice.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I was watching one of those judge shows (probably Judge Alex) and a woman successfully sued a man for cracking her car windshield, because she hadn't asked for his assistance in cleaning off the snow. I don't know if that's different...

Good to see you back, Paradigm!:

*Muah* Thanks! Good to be back.

^_^
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 11:50:15 PM

Kids don't talk about getting bullied, and parents aren't with their kids at school to witness what goes on there. You just defeated your own argument -- what goes on at school is the responsibility of the school. If kids are getting bullied and psychologically tortured at school, only the school has the means and authority to do anything.

I do not understand your logic at all that schools are not responsible for what goes on in schools.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:42:18 PM
At 4/3/2011 12:35:09 PM, nonentity wrote:

And even if the kid didn't tell his parents what was going on at school, only an uninvolved parent would fail to realize something was wrong and fail to ask questions. People need to take responsibility for their own actions, or lack thereof.

not necessarily. i was luck enough to never be bullied, but i know had i been as a kid i never would have told my parents about it, even if they asked. you can know your kid is sad, but that doesn't mean you can read their mind, especially if they're trying to hide their feelings from you.

suicide is tragic sure, but i don't think you can blame parents or schools for not catching everyone. you can blame schools for allowing bullying to go on if you can prove school officials knew about it and failed to take appropriate action. would take a lot more than just having a kid enrolled at a school committing suicide though
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 6:49:18 PM
At 4/26/2011 11:50:15 PM, PervRat wrote:

Kids don't talk about getting bullied, and parents aren't with their kids at school to witness what goes on there. You just defeated your own argument -- what goes on at school is the responsibility of the school. If kids are getting bullied and psychologically tortured at school, only the school has the means and authority to do anything.

I do not understand your logic at all that schools are not responsible for what goes on in schools.

I honestly cannot see a parent asking their child "how was school today?" and not seeing any signs of depression or bullying whatsoever. It would be one thing if the school knew about it and did nothing... but if the parents knew nothing, then they need to take reponsibility for that. Even if a child doesn't tell their parents they're being bullied, what about parent-teacher meetings? I find it hard to believe a teacher would not inform a parent of things going on at school. I think part of it has to be a failure on the part of the parents to ask questions.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 6:54:14 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:42:18 PM, belle wrote:

not necessarily. i was luck enough to never be bullied, but i know had i been as a kid i never would have told my parents about it, even if they asked. you can know your kid is sad, but that doesn't mean you can read their mind, especially if they're trying to hide their feelings from you.

True, but if you can see that your child is sad all the time, the logical thing to do would be to ask their teachers what is going on at school. If the teacher or school claims nothing is going on when they do see the child being bullied, then that's different. But I'm inclined to think it's more of a case of the parents failing to ask questions.

suicide is tragic sure, but i don't think you can blame parents or schools for not catching everyone. you can blame schools for allowing bullying to go on if you can prove school officials knew about it and failed to take appropriate action. would take a lot more than just having a kid enrolled at a school committing suicide though

I agree with this. What I have a problem with is the parents throwing 100% responsibility on the school and trying to sue them... they should have asked questions.