Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Why does it matter that Bin Laden is dead?

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 11:09:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I understand the psychological signifigence for anti-terrorists but what are the practial effects of his death?

Also, why did they kill him? Wasn't he more valuable alive?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 11:11:50 AM
At 5/2/2011 11:09:00 AM, vbaculum wrote:
I understand the psychological significance for anti-terrorists but what are the practical effects of his death?

For me the practical effects were:

Also, why did they kill him? Wasn't he more valuable alive?

Lol I'm sure if we had a special ops mission to kill him he probably was captured a year ago and tortured.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 2:11:19 PM
I understand the psychological signifigence for anti-terrorists but what are the practial effects of his death?:

There is ONLY a psychological significance; not much of a practical one. Bin Laden represents the face behind 9/11, the face behind the insurgency. In reality Al Qaeda was doing just fine without him running any day to operation.

Also, why did they kill him? Wasn't he more valuable alive?:

The goal was to take him alive but he, his body guards, and even his wife fought them tooth and nail. It was a 40 minute gun battle inside his compound. If there is any respectable thing to be said on his behalf, it's that he went down fighting for what he believed in didn't curl up in to a drainage ditch like that coward Hussein. I think his beliefs are sh*t, but I respect his dedication to die for it.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 3:19:11 PM
At 5/2/2011 2:11:19 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I understand the psychological signifigence for anti-terrorists but what are the practial effects of his death?:

There is ONLY a psychological significance; not much of a practical one. Bin Laden represents the face behind 9/11, the face behind the insurgency. In reality Al Qaeda was doing just fine without him running any day to operation.

The goal was to take him alive but he, his body guards, and even his wife fought them tooth and nail. It was a 40 minute gun battle inside his compound. If there is any respectable thing to be said on his behalf, it's that he went down fighting for what he believed in didn't curl up in to a drainage ditch like that coward Hussein. I think his beliefs are sh*t, but I respect his dedication to die for it.

Ahh. On the news I just heard "he resisted" and was therefore "shot in the head".

I wish he were taken alive though. I would imagine he would be an invaluble source of information.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 9:16:10 PM

1st it was not planed to capture him alive as far as I know. Also the gun battle was not 40 min. rather most of the time was spent collecting computers documents ect. next he was a coward he used one of his wives as a human shield. lastly they probably didnt capture him bec. it would increase likly hood of amarican cashualties.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
reddj2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 11:03:06 PM
At 5/2/2011 3:19:11 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Ahh. On the news I just heard "he resisted" and was therefore "shot in the head".

I wish he were taken alive though. I would imagine he would be an invaluble source of information.

Nope
meowmixxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 12:11:07 AM
It matters mostly in a symbolic and "justice is 'served'" way, but there is also a slight strategic component to this. It makes complacent terrorists less likely to become reluctant terrorists (to use BdM's terminology); it also might discourage people from joining terrorist groups.
Debates I'm in:
Emotion is a weakness in decision making.
http://www.debate.org... IN VOTING
It is more likely that we live in a simulated reality than a real reality.
http://www.debate.org... IN VOTING