Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Osama's dead but what does that really mean?

alec.endo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2011 12:10:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
"Yay Osama's dead" I have been seeing a lot of this knidove thing on social networks and the news stations that I watch and even calls to pull out of places like Afghanistan in the wake of this unfortunately, we're not there to kill one person. Whether you believe that we are there for oil, to find WMDs, to stamp out terrorism, to fight a fight that was brought to our shores as the US president said, to bright stability to the region or just to control it. I think we can all agree that killing Osama is not the reason why hundreds of people have lost their lives.

The death of Osama is not really going to really change what is happening in these terrorist movements. Osama was essentially a figure head and that the suicide bombers are not killing themselves in order to impress him. They are doing this because they truly believe that it is the right thing to do. This means that we may have just created a martyr.

This is no longer a theory as the White House had confirmed that he was unarmed when he was killed. Osama will become a martyr and a symbol because of this. He has just become more powerful in death then he could have ever possibly alive. This is due to the fact that symbols can't be killed by mere bullets or bombs or planes or tanks. It doesn't matter what you do along as one person still associates with that symbol it will live on. This leads to the questing was it better to have Osama alive then dead. Alive he was living in a house having almost nothing to do with the day to day running of the Taliban. As a symbol he becomes more than a person he becomes a sort of Icon for the Taliban much in the same way that anyone who is murdered for believing in their cause is. This come from the differentiation that the Taliban feel toward killing one's self for a cause in the act of suicide and what they consider the murder of a political leader.

This is in no way a criticism of the troops on the ground. They have the hardest jobs in the world and are trained to make calls in split seconds in the field. I am merely stating what I feel may take place as a result of this.

In the wake of his death one of two things is likely to happen either another person will just take his place as head of this organisation. There is not going to be any infighting as has been discussed because the successor to Osama has been running the show for about the last 4 years and by the successor I mean Ayman al-Zawahri. I mean was Osama really running a multi-national organisation by word of mouth alone.

Or the other and slightly more worrying thing is that these groups that are not really known for their coherence will splinter. This is due to the fact that these groups will compete and fight in order to be seen as the top group. The real problem that this will cause is the way these groups will compete. They are going to compete for media attention and the glory that they perceive that will get form killing innocent civilians and hitting "soft targets". This splintering and attacking of "soft targets" will make stopping there attacks and plans even harder.

These are just my opnions what are yours?

Cheers Alec
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2011 1:05:09 AM
At 5/7/2011 12:10:22 AM, alec.endo wrote:
They are doing this because they truly believe that it is the right thing to do. This means that we may have just created a martyr.

This is no longer a theory as the White House had confirmed that he was unarmed when he was killed. Osama will become a martyr and a symbol because of this. He has just become more powerful in death then he could have ever possibly alive.

I understand why they wanted him dead rather than alive.. and would probably have supported his killing whether he was armed or not..

But.. they shouldn't have told the world he was unarmed when they shot him... they should've brought some Kalishnikovs to plant about the place!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 2:00:39 PM
Reverse starfish analogy. Osama will no longer be responsible for killings or future terrorist attacks.

Does that mean they will stop? I seriously doubt it, but at least HE will be unable to participate.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 2:14:45 PM
At 5/23/2011 2:00:39 PM, twsurber wrote:
Reverse starfish analogy. Osama will no longer be responsible for killings or future terrorist attacks.

Does that mean they will stop? I seriously doubt it, but at least HE will be unable to participate.

Yea they apparently already have a new leader, lol.