Jump to topic:

O.J.Simpson's case

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 8:25:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would like to ask: why is the O.J.Simpson case so interesting? What makes it a contender for the title 'a trial of the century'? Why was it so popular, and so extensively covered by the media?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Alien
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 8:36:34 AM
Man Is Good. Aliens' log 1995@ojsimpsontrial23.........
According to my current data, the trial known as the OJ Simpson murder, was
a paradigm in the world of media. It involved a Caucasian female, and mother of
2, who was also the estranged wife of the former National Football League superstar
known as Orenthal James Simpson. Who was also an African American male going
through a mid life crisis. His irrational and abusive state of mind made him feel
selfish and his primary concerns were his own destruction. Here you have a man who was deeply conflicted and filled with guilt about the sudden murder of his
wife, Nicole Simson. The plot was perfect and was good enough to become a novel
of epic proportions. The race card was inevitable and the media played the hand
until it was dead. It was all about the systematic crime of passion which made
way to a horrid end and two innocent lives were taken in the fit of rage.
We must also understand that life is precious and it cannot be replaced. This is
a sentiment that all humans must respect here on planet Earth.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 9:13:55 AM
At 7/7/2011 8:25:24 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
I would like to ask: why is the O.J.Simpson case so interesting? What makes it a contender for the title 'a trial of the century'? Why was it so popular, and so extensively covered by the media?:

For starters, the crime was allegedly perpetrated by a Hall of Fame football player. The case was also riddled with missteps, forensic mistakes, latent and blatant racism, cover-ups, etc.

There's no doubt that O.J. would have been convicted had the police not falsified information and did a better job at preserving the crime scene.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 12:02:16 PM
It was a murder case involving a celebrity. That's the main thing. The mystery surrounding the case, and OJ's odd behavior added fuel to the fire. It was also possible to falsely allege racism, and that ultimately got OJ a free pass.

Probably the "trial of the century" was really the Lindberg baby kidnapping. Lindberg was the world's foremost celebrity in the world at the time (c. 1930) and same logic of celebrity importance worked then.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 6:15:31 PM
At 7/7/2011 8:25:24 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
I would like to ask: why is the O.J.Simpson case so interesting? What makes it a contender for the title 'a trial of the century'? Why was it so popular, and so extensively covered by the media?

Murder cases can usually make for decent drama, and this one had it all: celebrity; gruesome details; mystery; racial tones; and it set the precedent for modern media coverage of issues like this (in part, because it had means never before available).

The national attention started with the Live helicopter coverage of the White Ford Bronco on I-405, and it never looked back. OJ hired some of the most prominent attorneys in the country to work his case. It also had dramatic (televised) scenes, such as when Orenthal tried on the crime scene glove, only to find it was a bit snug (followed by Johnny Cochran's "If the glove don't fit, you must acquit" plea).

I remember watching the verdict during school, right after gym class, on a hallway TV before the bell rang. (That was rare, to say the least.) And even when the case concluded, that only opened the door to new national discussions and divisions about race relations, domestic violence, celebrity privilege, and justice.

For all those reasons, I believe it adequately could be described as the trial/crime of the century.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 6:37:15 PM
Oh I'll never forget the white bronco scene. The whole country was glued to the T.V. wondering "what's he gonna do?" He just drove home. DX
Rob