brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 10:59:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
"News of the World to close amid hacking scandal"

http://www.bbc.co.uk...

A friend of mine used to be a news editor at the News of the orld and he was pushed out of his job for questioning the paper's routine practice of phone hacking and paying bribes to corrupt police officers and other public servants.

I was drinking with him last night and he was beside himself with glee because he saw all his former colleagues squirming under the public spotlight.

If I see him down the pub tonight I expect him to be drinking the finest vintage champagne!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 11:19:27 AM
At 7/7/2011 10:59:09 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

A friend of mine used to be a news editor at the News of the World and he was pushed out of his job for questioning the paper's routine practice of phone hacking and paying bribes to corrupt police officers and other public servants.

I was drinking with him last night and he was beside himself with glee because he saw all his former colleagues squirming under the public spotlight.

If I see him down the pub tonight I expect him to be drinking the finest vintage champagne!

Fixed.

By the way, I didn't realise the News of the World was the biggest selling English language newspaper in the world. I got that fact off CNN.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 1:27:21 PM

A friend of mine used to be a news editor at the News of the orld and he was pushed out of his job for questioning the paper's routine practice of phone hacking and paying bribes to corrupt police officers and other public servants.

Srsly?

Anyway I am glad it's going under, it is a disgusting rag.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 7:54:20 AM
They say you can judge a man by the friends he keeps.

So let's have a look at the Conservative Prime Minister, David Cameron's friends shall we?

Step forward Andy Coulson, former editor of the News of the World who was arrested this morning in connection with phone hacking and bribery allegations.

Cameron employed Coulson as the Conservative Party's Director of Communications and said of him "I became friends with him and I think he did his job for me in a very effective way. He became a friend and he is a friend."

Also mired in allegations of serious wrongdoing is Rebekkah Brooks, former editor of News of the World and now Chief Executive of the paper's parent company News International, owned by Rupert Murdoch.

David Cameron and his wife had Christmas dinner with Brooks and Rupert Murdoch's son James. Cameron may well have taken the opportunity to thank Murdoch for switching News International's political support from Labour to Conservative prior to the last election.

Meanwhile, despite a record 100,000 formal objections to News International's proposed takeover of broadcaster BkyB, the Conservative Government has said it will approve the highly controversial bid, although the announcement is now expected to be delayed until September when all the fuss has died down.

Rubber stamping such a contentious deal is a huge favour, but that's what friends are for I suppose.

Sources:
http://www.guardian.co.uk...
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 3:25:28 PM
At 7/8/2011 7:58:41 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
Twazzocks, the lot of them.

I love the trend of unnecessarily pidgeonholing large groups of people that seems perfectly fine on this site so long as one of the people doing the pidgeonholing isn't, you know, pidgeonholed.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 5:34:04 PM
At 7/8/2011 3:25:28 PM, Veridas wrote:

I love the trend of unnecessarily pidgeonholing large groups of people that seems perfectly fine on this site so long as one of the people doing the pidgeonholing isn't, you know, pidgeonholed.

Twazzock.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 5:36:23 PM
At 7/8/2011 5:34:04 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 7/8/2011 3:25:28 PM, Veridas wrote:

Twazzock.

I kid. But they really are twazzocks!
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 1:27:57 PM
Apparently the "largest circulation" thing was an advertising ploy of the News of the World. Being only published on Sunday, it is not classified as a newspaper by most, and it would in any case lose based on total circulation per week or year.

Wikipedia says "The Japanese Yomiuri Shimbun, Asahi Shimbun and Mainichi Shimbun are still the largest circulated newspapers in the world. The Times of India is the largest circulated English-language daily newspaper in the world, across all formats..."

The largest circulation US newspaper, by far, is the Wall Street Journal with 2.1 million. The New York Times is second with 900K. The trash tabloid National Enquirer had over 4 million in the 90s, but has declined to 600K and filed bankruptcy. The free trash on the Internet poses a major threat to expensive trash.

The phone hackers should serve jail time. It's a crime that punishment can effectively deter.

Incidentally, the main method of hacking into voice mail seems to be to use the phone company default passcode of 0000, which people often do not change.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 10:20:32 PM

Well, lets hope that the demise of News of the World is just the beginning of a more far-reaching trend for the Murdoch empire.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 12:26:35 AM
At 7/20/2011 10:20:32 PM, charleslb wrote:

Well, lets hope that the demise of News of the World is just the beginning of a more far-reaching trend for the Murdoch empire.

Let's hope its the beginning of more honest journalism and possibly the end of tabloids.

Not gonna happen. :(
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 4:37:51 AM

Agreed.

In the meantime:
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 2:54:38 PM
At 7/21/2011 4:37:51 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Agreed.

In the meantime:

Is this British Terrorism?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 3:11:01 PM
At 7/21/2011 2:58:21 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
No THIS is british terrorism:

We must do something about this!!! In order to fight this british terrorism, I suggest we invade Spain while telling everyone (especially the spanish people that will undoubtibly die) that we are fighting the british terrorists in spain so that we don't have to fight them over here!

Who's with me!?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 12:37:07 AM

Wouldn't happen. This is a man who's in charge of an empire that can pretty much sustain itself on gossip, hell it's fuelled by people saying things about other people they may or may not like, from politicians to mass murdering child rapists who frolick about in butler's uniforms.

Hell, given that it IS a media empire, Murdoch could probably just start making stories up at this point, spread them across all his papers and news outlets to give the ideas more credibility and just roll with it. Even if the guy were to lose his ability to know what's going on in the world, he could probably last a few months just by systematically "interviewing" different employees for the sake of promoting various bullsh*t stories.

and even then, seriously, the guy's approximaetely 810 times richer than I'll ever be, his empire could crash tomorrow and I doubt he'd give a damn so long as his wife and son are still around.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?