Jump to topic:

Eye for an eye

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 2:46:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Revenge is bad for the soul. Justice should be exacted in proportion to the crime, but it shouldn't be done with revenge as a motive.
Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 8:13:20 AM
At 8/1/2011 2:46:12 AM, innomen wrote:
Revenge is bad for the soul. Justice should be exacted in proportion to the crime, but it shouldn't be done with revenge as a motive.

Not how America works sadly. Your so insightful.
Phoenix Reaper - To rise from the ashes of defeat and claim your soul.

: At 3/15/2011 4:23:07 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
: Taste is for pussïes. Be a nihilist. Drink vodka.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 3:00:33 AM
Considering it's Iran I'm not surprised although this is old news. As for my actual views on it I think eye for an eye could work for some things. In this case, for example, I almost feel that it's justified, considering the guy blinded her. Why not make him suffer the same consequences? At least it would prevent him from doing the same thing to other women.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 3:24:37 AM
Off with the dude's head
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 9:55:02 AM
At 8/2/2011 3:24:37 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Off with the dude's head

that would blind him.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 10:36:11 AM
Human emotion demands this type of retribution - "an eye for an eye." In strictly logical terms, misdeeds are not reason to cause more misdeeds.
Rob
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 10:43:14 AM
At 8/2/2011 10:36:11 AM, Lasagna wrote:
Human emotion demands this type of retribution - "an eye for an eye." In strictly logical terms, misdeeds are not reason to cause more misdeeds.

That would depend on how you define "misdeeds."

If someone harms you, and there is a logical reason to believe that they may harm you again if presented with the opportunity, then it is logical to kill them in order to prevent them from harming you again.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 12:01:37 PM
I couldn't have blamed her if she had done it. The man was UNREPENTANT. The fact that someone could do something that horrible (the act of causing deliberate extreme suffering disgusts me more than most murders) devaluates his self-worth immensely in my view. It's probably good that she didn't do it, but the primal bloodlust remains unsatisfied.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 5:52:36 PM
At 8/2/2011 9:55:02 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Off with the dude's head

that would blind him.

And more importantly, remove his acid-throwing capability.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 5:56:49 PM
At 8/2/2011 5:52:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 8/2/2011 9:55:02 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Off with the dude's head

that would blind him.

And more importantly, remove his acid-throwing capability.

sounds like a two for one deal to me.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 9:17:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/1/2011 1:43:54 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
What do y'all think of this?

Eye for an eye? When you live by that, you are putting yourself under a curse. You will destroy and harm yourself though you think you are harming your victim. Revengeis a disease that corrupts.revenge is something that if you live by, you will die by.I need Jesus because if I didn't have him, I would be tormented by the devil and my sins. even though I am forgiven, I am tormented by the pain I caused, the hearts I broke, the damage is done. I sometimes question whether I am human or something worse. I thought I was the kindest person who lives by compassion, but sometimes, I find who I really am if I didn t have Jesus. I wish I could erase the memories, mend broken relationships so that healing can give me peace, but if I'm facing the consequences, I will receive permanent scars in my soul... I am already under judgment...
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 9:23:39 PM
prayer n the Bible are my medicine to treat my guilt, but until I reach heaven, I won't get the cure...
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 9:38:33 PM
We all have good and dark sides, I have to accept the grave and painful consequences of mine, though I had no control over it, it is based on anger ..
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 3:41:45 PM
I applaud this woman, but since Iran does not have the same protection from stalkers, I imagine this guy is not or will not be in jail much longer.

When people base their justice system on one of punishment, it creates justification for eye for eye mentality which then oozes out within society.

Eye for an eye justice does not work in the work place, nor does it work well in society at large if you want rule of law, which is probably more important than anything else in determining the success of a country.

If we could land that our justice system is not one for punishment, but instead is one where people get locked away so they can not harm others, we then loose all the b.s. sentencing such as locking a drug user up for years just as long as someone who murdered someone else.

Throwing acid in someone's face should be a 25 year min in my book.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 10:59:52 AM
well the harabian code worked quite well, apparently it's bad in modern society XD
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10