Jump to topic:

Gabby Gifford

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 3:47:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is it me, or is the media and our politicians making a bit too much of her. Yes she was shot, and that was terrible, and i am happy she is doing well, but is the honor of her a little bit over the top? She didn't do anything really to merit this honor, other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I probably sound like Ragnar at this point, but it just seems the lauding of her is a little over the top.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 3:51:43 PM
At 8/2/2011 3:47:01 PM, innomen wrote:
Is it me, or is the media and our politicians making a bit too much of her. Yes she was shot, and that was terrible, and i am happy she is doing well, but is the honor of her a little bit over the top? She didn't do anything really to merit this honor, other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I probably sound like Ragnar at this point, but it just seems the lauding of her is a little over the top.

This sounds familiar.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 4:14:51 PM
At 8/2/2011 3:51:43 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

This sounds familiar.

Am i repeating another thread?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 4:34:31 PM
At 8/2/2011 4:14:51 PM, innomen wrote:

This sounds familiar.

http://www.debate.org...

lol, yes. Deja vu, to the max.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 4:35:59 PM
Anyway, in responce to the thread, most of the attention is not really on her, but on the circustances which she represents.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 4:49:03 PM
At 8/2/2011 4:34:31 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/2/2011 4:14:51 PM, innomen wrote:

This sounds familiar.

lol, yes. Deja vu, to the max.

6 months ago, you have an abnormal memory, i don't even remember posting that. At least I'm consistent.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 5:51:44 PM
I probably sound like Ragnar at this point

and that was terrible, and i am happy she is doing well

wat is this i dont even
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 11:40:34 AM
At 8/2/2011 5:51:44 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

wat is this i dont even

You sometimes come across as cold and unemotional, maybe that's what he means.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 5:03:15 PM
At 8/3/2011 11:40:34 AM, feverish wrote:

wat is this i dont even

You sometimes come across as cold and unemotional

lol, something I'm sure he prides himself on above many other things.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 6:03:04 PM

wat is this i dont even

Yeah, but OP doesn't.

It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 2:55:07 PM
At 8/3/2011 6:03:04 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

wat is this i dont even

Yeah, but OP doesn't.

Come on, you're not exactly the most sentimental type here. You're not quite Nags, but your heart isn't bleeding either.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 3:30:57 PM
At 8/6/2011 2:55:07 PM, innomen wrote:

wat is this i dont even

Yeah, but OP doesn't.

Come on, you're not exactly the most sentimental type here. You're not quite Nags, but your heart isn't bleeding either.

My heart isn't bleeding, but yours is in the quotes.

Completely missing the point of my post, all of you >_>
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 3:32:14 PM

wat is this i dont even

I believe he's saying that you're giving him more credit than he's due in the way of being nice about things.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 3:38:51 PM
At 8/6/2011 3:30:57 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 8/6/2011 2:55:07 PM, innomen wrote:

wat is this i dont even

Yeah, but OP doesn't.

My heart isn't bleeding, but yours is in the quotes.

Completely missing the point of my post, all of you >_>

Thanks Rusty

You're right, i should have caught that Ragnar, and I can rest more easily knowing that your total apathy is where i thought it was. All is right with the world now.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 4:44:29 PM

Innocent people are shot and killed in cities every day. A celebrity is shot and wounded and all of the sudden everyone cares. Celebrities are like gods to everyone. The amount of worship that goes into celebrity culture sickens me.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2011 12:44:44 AM
At 8/6/2011 3:32:14 PM, Rusty wrote:

wat is this i dont even

I believe he's saying that you're giving him more credit than he's due in the way of being nice about things.

No.. he's saying Innomen isn't being Unemotional about the Gabby Gifford thing... his caring that she's still in the media.. being Annoyed by it.. is a symptom of his being affected by emotions.

Ragnarbot cares for his "rational self interest"... and Gifford's being in the media a lot is simply not relevant to what he cares about in the least.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2011 1:06:51 AM
At 8/7/2011 12:44:44 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

wat is this i dont even

No.. he's saying Innomen isn't being Unemotional about the Gabby Gifford thing... his caring that she's still in the media.. being Annoyed by it.. is a symptom of his being affected by emotions.

Ragnarbot cares for his "rational self interest"... and Gifford's being in the media a lot is simply not relevant to what he cares about in the least.

I must say though that R_R's coldness and lack of emotions makes him quite awesome. He's like Spock, except a more libertarian version. If R_R stated "the means of the many outweigh the means of the few" I would be worried.
Open borders debate:
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2011 1:54:49 AM
At 8/7/2011 1:06:51 AM, darkkermit wrote:

wat is this i dont even

I must say though that R_R's coldness and lack of emotions makes him quite awesome. He's like Spock, except a more libertarian version. If R_R stated "the means of the many outweigh the means of the few" I would be worried.

Sometimes I think people TRY to get siggd.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2011 2:16:16 AM

wat is this i dont even

Rusty had it right, sorry dude. I'd get a little kick of pleasure from hearing Gifford died. Sure, shooting her was stupid and gives her allies more political ammo, but if she's gonna be shot, it might as well prevent her from offering services other than the martyrdom related ones. Martyrdom AND surviving is a dangerous combo.

I wasn't suggesting Innomen was too emotional, I was suggesting he was too compassionate :)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2011 2:18:34 AM
Also, I just got out of a moshpit. Can you imagine Spock in a moshpit?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2011 2:21:50 AM
At 8/7/2011 2:18:34 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

You were in a mosh pit!? I thought you weren't a party person?
Open borders debate:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2011 2:26:05 AM
At 8/7/2011 2:21:50 AM, darkkermit wrote:

"Come listen to Rob Zombie, Exodus, and Slayer playing live (Slayer's mostly meh to me, but they played Dead Skin Mask quite awesomely) is a bit more likely to get my attention than "cmon... partay!." "What's a party?" "um, hang out and get intoxicated and stuff. And talk to people." "Talk about what?" "...." "I'm cunfused"
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2011 2:29:20 AM
At 8/7/2011 2:26:05 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 8/7/2011 2:21:50 AM, darkkermit wrote:

"Come listen to Rob Zombie, Exodus, and Slayer playing live (Slayer's mostly meh to me, but they played Dead Skin Mask quite awesomely) is a bit more likely to get my attention than "cmon... partay!." "What's a party?" "um, hang out and get intoxicated and stuff. And talk to people." "Talk about what?" "...." "I'm cunfused"

fair enough.
Open borders debate:
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 12:34:20 PM
I don't think it is about Gifford or the circumstance of her shooting. I think it is about people relating to the events. It's the same attraction as reality TV and the Casey Anthony trial. In the media age, people tend to augment their circle of friends and family with "celebrities" who have things to cope with. The good aspect is that it may help some people learn to cope with tragic and not-so-tragic-but-important things in their lives. I don't object to the fascination, but I wish it were segregated apart from mainstream news reporting. It ought to be in the realm of celebrity gossip shows, not the evening news.