Libya gets ready for their next chapter

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 11:23:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

The rebel forces (I feel like I'm talking about starwars with that opening) have taken Tripoli and Gadhafi has gone into hiding. While he's claimed that he will never leave Libya, it wouldn't be surprising for him to take off for another nation that will hold his hand while he cries at his loss.

Now the question is with the NTC hold strong and create a single government to move forward, or will internal pressures and interests cause it to collapse into a state of anarchy and civil war?

Either way, we don't have troops on the ground there, so for our soldiers' safety, this is much better than Iraq.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 11:56:49 AM
That fat lady hasn't sung quite yet:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...

But the writing's on the wall for Gadaffi, that's for sure.

I hope they can sort things out without any civil war - hopefully Libya will become a a tolerant and open nation (by the standards of the region) and benefit from mass tourism like Egypt, Turkey, Morocco, Jordan and Tunisia have done.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 12:37:58 PM
At 8/22/2011 11:56:49 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

I hope they can sort things out without any civil war - hopefully Libya will become a a tolerant and open nation (by the standards of the region) and benefit from mass tourism like Egypt, Turkey, Morocco, Jordan and Tunisia have done.

True, I think the biggest things for them are.

1) Getting a stable government set up quickly. This is because the longer it takes, the more likely various factions are going to try to do things themselves.
2) Get their oil up and running ASAP (preferibly nationalized, but any method is good for now, so long as they regulate and tax it). The revenues from the oil will allow them to fund their government with minimal taxes from their people and allow them to protect their people. So the people can get back to work and improve their economy.
3) Throw one hell of a party. Keeping people happy will help with them not supporting other factions, and in the short term, nothing helps like parties (but you need to have the long term planned out).
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 2:02:28 PM
At 8/22/2011 12:37:58 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

1) Getting a stable government set up quickly. This is because the longer it takes, the more likely various factions are going to try to do things themselves.

Quickly, not sloppily.

2) Get their oil up and running ASAP (preferibly nationalized, but any method is good for now, so long as they regulate and tax it). The revenues from the oil will allow them to fund their government with minimal taxes from their people and allow them to protect their people. So the people can get back to work and improve their economy.
3) Throw one hell of a party. Keeping people happy will help with them not supporting other factions, and in the short term, nothing helps like parties (but you need to have the long term planned out).

I agree with this, but would make the people happier is government policy that supports the people.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 5:47:45 PM
At 8/22/2011 2:02:28 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 8/22/2011 12:37:58 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Quickly, not sloppily.

of course, that's why I tossed "stable" in there.

I agree with this, but would make the people happier is government policy that supports the people.

Yes, policy is going to take a while to impliment and see effects. They will likely need a rebuilding time (and funding for it), and so while roads, and schools, and factories are all being rebuilt, they will take some time. It's good to reach a midpoint, take a breath and give yourself a pat on the back before going back at it. Gotta make sure the people don't get bogged down.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:06:56 PM
I wonder how long loyalist aggression will be a problem.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:11:28 PM
At 8/24/2011 6:06:56 PM, vbaculum wrote:
I wonder how long loyalist aggression will be a problem.

Probably not too long. If he is found and killed, there will be a brief spike in loyalist aggression, but it will fade with time (since there will be nothing to fight for, their leader is dead, like with the Germans in WW2, some still fought for a while, but they eventually tired out).
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 2:04:10 AM
Answer me this, what exactly are the rebels upset about? Libya is the most prosperous country in Africa.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 2:30:09 AM
At 9/2/2011 2:04:10 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Answer me this, what exactly are the rebels upset about? Libya is the most prosperous country in Africa.

So?

America is prosperous and we start fistfights at Burger King