Jump to topic:

Earthquake!

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 1:06:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Did anyone else feel that like 10 minutes ago? Its breaking news that the earth quake hit the Pentagon in Virginia. I felt it all the way here in NJ.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 1:09:05 PM
http://www.herald-dispatch.com...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 1:13:54 PM
Just a 5.8, while it'll certainly get your blood pumping in the heat of the moment, it is relatively safe for all people and property.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 1:21:48 PM
At 8/23/2011 1:06:09 PM, 000ike wrote:
Did anyone else feel that like 10 minutes ago? Its breaking news that the earth quake hit the Pentagon in Virginia. I felt it all the way here in NJ.

It means time is running out and these are the last days...............
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 1:23:20 PM
At 8/23/2011 1:19:31 PM, PartamRuhem wrote:
Yeah, safe.....dangling sharp objects in my garage were slipping off the hooks haha I booked it. I'm in MD. That was intense

From a big picture stand point, yes. A 15 mph wind and be dangerous in a few isolated cases, but in general, it is not dangerous to the vast majority of people in the vast majority of cases.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 1:26:44 PM
At 8/23/2011 1:13:54 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Just a 5.8, while it'll certainly get your blood pumping in the heat of the moment, it is relatively safe for all people and property.

Thing is, this is a rarity for the tri-state area. Virginia has had only 25 earthquakes since it became a state (CNN News). It hit densely populated areas, and shook the Capitol building.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 1:30:32 PM
Funny, once the president goes on vacation, we have an earthquake. lol
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 1:33:54 PM
At 8/23/2011 1:26:44 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/23/2011 1:13:54 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Thing is, this is a rarity for the tri-state area. Virginia has had only 25 earthquakes since it became a state (CNN News). It hit densely populated areas, and shook the Capitol building.

While it is true that the Atlantic plates are not neally as active as the pacific plates (making the whole ring of fire thing), it is still near a fault line (the Madrid fault line, not sure why it was named that, but oh well), and so Earthquakes will still happen.

What is interesting though, is that because of the bedrock composition, a quake will be felt at greater distance on the East Coast than on the West coast.

The 1895 quake (a 6.0 quake) was felt over about 1 million square miles. While the 1994 LA quake (a 6.7) was felt over a much much small area.

http://www.google.com...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:30:39 PM
I felt it in NYC..

at first when stuff was shaking in my room I thought there was an animal or somthing..

then I saw more shaking.. and looked outside to see my house itself was shaking :/

creepy.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:38:06 PM
At 8/23/2011 2:30:39 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I felt it in NYC..

at first when stuff was shaking in my room I thought there was an animal or somthing..

then I saw more shaking.. and looked outside to see my house itself was shaking :/

creepy.

welcome to the west coast life style.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:45:52 PM
What do you guys do in the aftermath? Check your gas pipes and what not?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:47:14 PM
At 8/23/2011 2:45:52 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

nope.. did various other things I planned on doing today.. and now am on here doing this...

it only happened a couple hours ago.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:48:35 PM

check google and the news to see what happened, how big it was, all that stuff. No one really checks their property for damage or anything.
kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:54:23 PM
I was eating lunch when the earthquake occured.
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:55:18 PM
I was actually helping my dad fix the roof of our house until a neighbor rushed to the gates and told us of the earthquake.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:57:16 PM
My mom was talking to me, and I felt the table start to shake. I thought "Omg I must be SO high right now!" My mom wasn't saying anything about it so I totally thought I was hallucinating the glasses around me shaking and everything. Finally I was like, "Mom am I just imagining this or is the chandelier moving?" She said, "No I think it is!" I figured it must have been an earthquake, but it was kind of amusing to think that I was just super high and couldn't say anything to my mom about my over-active imagination haha. Anyway I don't think this is a big deal at all. It was cool/weird to those of us who have never experienced one before, but they've been asking people all over the news for the past 2 hours "how they felt about it" which is just ridiculous.
President of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 3:01:57 PM
At 8/23/2011 2:57:16 PM, Danielle wrote:
My mom was talking to me, and I felt the table start to shake. I thought "Omg I must be SO high right now!" My mom wasn't saying anything about it so I totally thought I was hallucinating the glasses around me shaking and everything. Finally I was like, "Mom am I just imagining this or is the chandelier moving?" She said, "No I think it is!" I figured it must have been an earthquake, but it was kind of amusing to think that I was just super high and couldn't say anything to my mom about my over-active imagination haha. Anyway I don't think this is a big deal at all. It was cool/weird to those of us who have never experienced one before, but they've been asking people all over the news for the past 2 hours "how they felt about it" which is just ridiculous.

Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous. But you know how crazy the news gets when something remotely like this happens anywhere near a. The Capitol Building b. The Pentagon or c. The White House.
Steve0Yea
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 3:04:29 PM
At 8/23/2011 2:48:35 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

check google and the news to see what happened, how big it was, all that stuff. No one really checks their property for damage or anything.

I live in cali, i always check my gas lines and house after a quake... its just what you grew up learning.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 3:26:10 PM
Did not feel it at all
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 3:27:23 PM
At 8/23/2011 3:25:00 PM, Kinesis wrote:
For some reason, I'm envious because we don't have any real earthquakes in Britain.

until now We've never really had any in NY either.

Metaphysics:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 3:58:55 PM
At 8/23/2011 3:25:00 PM, Kinesis wrote:
For some reason, I'm envious because we don't have any real earthquakes in Britain.

You guys invented the Earthquake bomb! How can you invent an earthquake bomb, but not have earthquakes. I think your government should drop a few on your own land, just so you can have the enjoyment.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 4:06:53 PM
i felt it over here in the dc area. our whole building shook and everyone ran outside.

first time i experienced one.

people were freaking out like the world was ending....
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 4:10:21 PM
At 8/23/2011 2:57:16 PM, Danielle wrote:

lmao. darnit. that would have been fun. i was about 2 hrs too early for that type of experience :)
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 4:32:07 PM
At 8/23/2011 3:58:55 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
You guys invented the Earthquake bomb! How can you invent an earthquake bomb, but not have earthquakes. I think your government should drop a few on your own land, just so you can have the enjoyment.

Yeah! We can finally wipe out Hull!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 4:32:59 PM
At 8/23/2011 4:32:07 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 8/23/2011 3:58:55 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Well, you invented it 70 years ago and haven't done jack diddley with it yet, so I'm thinking you're on Hell's side.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 4:36:56 PM
At 8/23/2011 4:32:59 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Well, you invented it 70 years ago and haven't done jack diddley with it yet, so I'm thinking you're on Hell's side.

I...what? I'm talking about here: http://en.wikipedia.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 4:43:32 PM
At 8/23/2011 4:36:56 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 8/23/2011 4:32:59 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I...what? I'm talking about here: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Oh... I thought you ment "Hell" (since you tend to follow and debate and have avatars regarding Animes and Mangas, and they like to have creative names for "Hell," like "home for infinite losers" and what not).