Jump to topic:

Hurricane?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 2:03:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Wow, what a week for the east coast. Does anyone know how to prepare for a hurricane?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 2:08:09 PM
At 8/25/2011 2:03:51 PM, 000ike wrote:
Wow, what a week for the east coast. Does anyone know how to prepare for a hurricane?

Don't ask me, I slept through Katrina.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 2:10:08 PM

Oh yeah, we get them in Portland all the time.

What you want to do is go remove all the glass from your windows (don't want to risk them breaking). Then, make sure nothing is fastened down, after all, in a mighty storm, the tree that stands firm gets blown away, while the soft blades of grass that bend with the wind, survive. You got to make sure everything can freely sway with the wind, just like grass.

Next, your want go to your car and make sure that all it's windows are down (avoid broken glass), can't do much about the windshield, but do what you can. It'll probably be rainning so take an umbrella out with you so you don't get wet.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 2:10:27 PM
At 8/25/2011 2:08:09 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Was she not that good in the sack?
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 2:16:26 PM
At 8/25/2011 2:10:27 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Are you talking about this one?
http://www.imdb.com...
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 2:20:32 PM
At 8/25/2011 2:16:26 PM, Indophile wrote:

Are you talking about this one?
http://www.imdb.com...

Whichever Katrina he slept through. I usually wake up for a good 4 or 5 minutes of it before going back to bed.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 3:49:28 PM
According to this article, http://miami.about.com..., one can do the following to prepare for a hurricane

1. Select a room to sequester your family in (preferably windowless, and underground).

2. Accumulate a supply of non-perishable food, including a healthy douse of water, that will endure for weeks as the hurricane comes and subsides.

3. Disaster supplies ("batteries, flashlights, rope, tarps, plastic bags, bad-weather clothing and other essentials") need to be collected and used as well during the duration of the storm.

4. Prepare the house--whether with hurricane shutters, plywood to fit windows, and so on, for the hurricane.

5. Develop a good communication plan between family members in case if you are separated from your family.

...7. Ensure shelter for any pets in the household....

Note: these contentions are only a summary of most of the points listed in the article. They are not comprehensive enough to encompass the entirety of the survival tactics for hurricanes.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 4:22:05 PM
At 8/25/2011 3:49:28 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
According to this article, http://miami.about.com..., one can do the following to prepare for a hurricane

1. Select a room to sequester your family in (preferably windowless, and underground).

2. Accumulate a supply of non-perishable food, including a healthy douse of water, that will endure for weeks as the hurricane comes and subsides.

If you need a healthy douse of water, you can just get out and stand in the rain caused by the hurricane, why accumulate a supply of it and sequester oneself inside a room? :)

3. Disaster supplies ("batteries, flashlights, rope, tarps, plastic bags, bad-weather clothing and other essentials") need to be collected and used as well during the duration of the storm.

4. Prepare the house--whether with hurricane shutters, plywood to fit windows, and so on, for the hurricane.

5. Develop a good communication plan between family members in case if you are separated from your family.

Note: these contentions are only a summary of most of the points listed in the article. They are not comprehensive enough to encompass the entirety of the survival tactics for hurricanes.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 4:48:48 PM
Wow, what a week for the east coast. Does anyone know how to prepare for a hurricane?:

As a Florida native who's survived several hurricanes, yes. It's a huge pain in the @ss. You have to think of every little detail that you wouldn't ordinarily take notice of, like small objects in your yard that, under hurricane force winds, are potentially missiles that can kill you.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 4:49:36 PM

Was she not that good in the sack?:

Zing!!!!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 8:02:27 PM
At 8/25/2011 3:49:28 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Is it a bad sign when I assume the rope's purpose is to hang yourself in case society collapses?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus