Jump to topic:

How has Irene affected your area??

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 12:34:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I thought it would cool to make a log of Hurricane Irene's impact on different areas.
So if you're in the path, please let us know where you are, how bad it was and how it has affected you, after you're safe, of course.

I'm in a suburb of Charleston, SC. We had a target on us at the beginning, but luckily, for us, it veered east. It was close enough that we got some of the rain bands, and some 30-50 mph wind gusts, but really not even as bad as some of the tropical storms I've seen. We got lucky, and I hope y'all stay safe and have minimal damage.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 11:51:02 AM
Irene hasn't really hit us yet. Although from what I've seen on the radar and heard, we're going to have one heck of a sh!t storm.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 12:12:22 PM
It hasn't really, except for the gloomy, overhead clouds and stillness in the air.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 12:19:04 PM
At 8/27/2011 12:12:22 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
It hasn't really, except for the gloomy, overhead clouds and stillness in the air.

That's what we have now. I think we're going to get hit pretty hard.

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 12:19:31 PM
I live in central Texas and am experiencing a serious drought. I'd love to be affected by Irene.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 11:05:04 PM
At 8/27/2011 10:38:08 PM, nerdykiller wrote:
I HAVE NO CLUe
ITS not gonna affect the west coast or is it gonna?

Unless the west coast now borders the Atlantic ocean....

Anyway, the hurricane is pretty pathetic so far, from what I've seen. We did get a tornado warning, though, and we still have a tornado watch.

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 7:11:48 AM
Been listening to the radio, the Jersey shore is getting wacked. Hope Danielle is okay. Just a lot of rain and wind here in Boston, so far.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 7:38:26 AM
At 8/28/2011 7:11:48 AM, innomen wrote:
Been listening to the radio, the Jersey shore is getting wacked. Hope Danielle is okay. Just a lot of rain and wind here in Boston, so far.

Yeah, I'm watching the news right now. With all the hype for the hurricane, and what the news is saying, I'm starting to get kind of disappointed, as stupid as it sounds. The weather is apparently supposed to get bad again, but who knows. I didn't see any of the bad stuff we were supposed to get.

blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 4:16:23 PM
School just got closed due to power outages. I didn't have anything major. Our biggest problem was that a trellis fell down in the high winds. This seems to be the only thing that fell down in the entire neighborhood. Winds still here though, so who knows what else could happen.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 6:04:53 PM
At 8/28/2011 4:16:23 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
School just got closed due to power outages. I didn't have anything major. Our biggest problem was that a trellis fell down in the high winds. This seems to be the only thing that fell down in the entire neighborhood. Winds still here though, so who knows what else could happen.

I'm glad that it seems to have been less damaging than expected. This could have been much, much, worse for everyone.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 6:28:52 PM
At 8/28/2011 6:04:53 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 8/28/2011 4:16:23 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:

I'm glad that it seems to have been less damaging than expected. This could have been much, much, worse for everyone.

Well, we got lucky. Philadelphia seems to have had the crap beat out of it. There are power outages all around us, but not us. There's relatively the same tale down at my grandparents shore house. Ventor didn't seem to get hit too hard according to what I heard. According to the news, though, Margate (right next to Ventor) got slammed. The difference seems to have been the fact that Vetnor had dunes put back on the beach, but Margate wanted the view instead so they don't have dunes.

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 7:42:02 AM
Being in Texas... not much but *knock on wood* I hear thunder... maybe we'll finally get some rain!
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 9:18:42 AM
At 8/27/2011 12:34:44 AM, medic0506 wrote:
I thought it would cool to make a log of Hurricane Irene's impact on different areas.
So if you're in the path, please let us know where you are, how bad it was and how it has affected you, after you're safe, of course.

I'm in a suburb of Charleston, SC. We had a target on us at the beginning, but luckily, for us, it veered east. It was close enough that we got some of the rain bands, and some 30-50 mph wind gusts, but really not even as bad as some of the tropical storms I've seen. We got lucky, and I hope y'all stay safe and have minimal damage.

Youre in a good spot my friend/ That city is probably the most envied place in the
South right now. You have Boeing and a lot of other worlwide industries that will cause this place to grow like a wildfire. By the way, I am only 100 miles away.
See ya later. LOL
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 9:19:48 AM
At 8/29/2011 7:42:02 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
Being in Texas... not much but *knock on wood* I hear thunder... maybe we'll finally get some rain!

You people out West are catching it bad. I bet you wished a tropical storm
would come your way.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 9:58:47 AM
The surrounding towns lost power; mine didn't. It was really annoying to prepare for this epic storm and have almost nothing happen, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm also pissed my gym (and other stores and restaurants I like) have been closed for a few days, but hopefully everything will be up and running asap. I was lucky to not have been affected much, but I know some people who were. I thought these photos were pretty interesting: http://www.buzzfeed.com...
President of DDO
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 12:37:36 PM
At 9/1/2011 9:58:47 AM, Danielle wrote:
The surrounding towns lost power; mine didn't. It was really annoying to prepare for this epic storm and have almost nothing happen, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm also pissed my gym (and other stores and restaurants I like) have been closed for a few days, but hopefully everything will be up and running asap. I was lucky to not have been affected much, but I know some people who were. I thought these photos were pretty interesting: http://www.buzzfeed.com...

Almost nothing? Looking at the photos I would describe that as a major natural disaster.

Put it this way, if a storm like that hit Britain and did that sort of damage...I don't know how we'd react...the country comes to a virtual standstill every time there is an inch of snow on the ground.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 3:27:13 PM
1) Gas went up about 7 cents a gallon.
2) The news thinks it is the end of the world for the East Coast and by God, us west coasterners must know about it!
3) I end up watching less news.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"