Jump to topic:

75 Years in Prison for Filming the Police

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 5:39:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A man is facing 75 Years in prison for filming the police. Many don't even realize that this is illegal but it is in many states.

Discuss the injustice.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 5:43:25 PM
Someone needs to do something about this. I think if more people were aware of this, it would become a national crusade in less than a month.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 5:54:50 PM
Illinois is the only state, that I'm aware of, where it is illegal to record anyone (audio and/or video) without their consent.

Of course, the police violate their own law EVERY day with their dashboard cams.

F*ck Illinois and their draconian law.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 5:56:37 PM
At 8/31/2011 5:55:55 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Isn't Illinois Obamaland?:

I prefer to call it the People's Republic of Illinois :)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 5:56:53 PM
At 8/31/2011 5:54:54 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Part of the Illinois eavesdropping law.

http://www.ilga.gov...

For a state that gave us both Abraham Lincoln and Barack Obama, Illinois seems pretty stupid.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 5:58:48 PM
At 8/31/2011 5:56:53 PM, 000ike wrote:

For a state that gave us both Abraham Lincoln and Barack Obama, Illinois seems pretty stupid.

And for a state that gave us the man who wrote about the "birth of freedom", Illinois seems pretty draconian with its laws....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 5:59:19 PM
At 8/31/2011 5:54:50 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Illinois is the only state, that I'm aware of, where it is illegal to record anyone (audio and/or video) without their consent.

Of course, the police violate their own law EVERY day with their dashboard cams.

F*ck Illinois and their draconian law.

Technically, they don't. Since it is written into the law to accomidate for police. This will likely be dropped. It is also written in that the law doesn't apply to public meetings. However, it specifically excludes courts from the exculsion (if that makes sense) for the purpose of protecting the people facing crimes, not the judge and such.

Though the law says that he needs "consent" not simply "awareness."

"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:01:43 PM
If this was Canada there would probably already be outrage since policy brutality and such is relatively rare here so it does get reactions when it happens. The last major incident was the one in the Vancouver airport.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:06:11 PM
No, seriously, Illinois sucks.

This place is still run by the mafia.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:12:33 PM
At 8/31/2011 5:43:25 PM, 000ike wrote:
Someone needs to do something about this. I think if more people were aware of this, it would become a national crusade in less than a month.

Already posted to Facebook, DDO, 4chan and Twitter.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:16:40 PM

Agreed.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:19:53 PM
At 8/31/2011 6:16:40 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:

Agreed.

Abraham Lincoln = emancipation proclamation

Barack Obama = Black

....I know why you say "agreed" you racist...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:21:46 PM
Technically, they don't. Since it is written into the law to accomidate for police. This will likely be dropped. It is also written in that the law doesn't apply to public meetings. However, it specifically excludes courts from the exculsion (if that makes sense) for the purpose of protecting the people facing crimes, not the judge and such.

Though the law says that he needs "consent" not simply "awareness.":

I figured there'd be some loophole for cops. Whatever the case, I don't see how this can hold up. I mean, is the media exempt? Are tourists innocently taking video exempt?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:22:51 PM
At 8/31/2011 6:19:53 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/31/2011 6:16:40 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:

Agreed.

Abraham Lincoln = emancipation proclamation
It did try to free those who were enslaved in Confederate states...as Lincoln used his powers as commander in chief.

Barack Obama = Black

I do too...It's sad to see that every now and then we have some racist implications introduce into a thread.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:23:27 PM
At 8/31/2011 6:01:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If this was Canada there would probably already be outrage since policy brutality and such is relatively rare here so it does get reactions when it happens. The last major incident was the one in the Vancouver airport.:

It's what keeps cops honest. Taking this away from the people of Illinois is setting a very dangerous precedent.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:26:32 PM

I do too...It's sad to see that every now and then we have some racist implications introduce into a thread.:

I'd still rather protect Mengele's right to say it than defend the Illinois law though.
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:32:44 PM

For a state that gave us Abraham Lincoln and to a lesser extent Obama, I'm not surprised at all that they would implement draconian policies.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:36:31 PM
At 8/31/2011 6:32:44 PM, Tim_Spin wrote:

For a state that gave us Abraham Lincoln and to a lesser extent Obama, I'm not surprised at all that they would implement draconian policies.

The worst I can think of from Lincoln is Martial Law, not Draconian law, and the martial law was justified to an extent.
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:46:58 PM
Invading a sovereign while blatantly ignoring the right to secede, suspending habeus corpus, instituting the draft, jailing protestors, and all in all ending the concept of limited government for decades to come was not justified and makes him perhaps the most draconian president in history.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:50:12 PM
At 8/31/2011 6:21:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Though the law says that he needs "consent" not simply "awareness.":

I figured there'd be some loophole for cops. Whatever the case, I don't see how this can hold up. I mean, is the media exempt? Are tourists innocently taking video exempt?

Media, often. Tourists, yes. That is because it is about intent. If you intend to record someone, it is a crime, if you are recording your friend and someone happens to be in the back ground, it is not. So if the media is just covering a story, and you happen to be there, they are fine. If they are doing some sexual divient sting, they could actually run into trouble if they do not have a warrent for the video.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:51:06 PM
At 8/31/2011 6:46:58 PM, Tim_Spin wrote:
Invading a sovereign while blatantly ignoring the right to secede, suspending habeus corpus, instituting the draft, jailing protestors, and all in all ending the concept of limited government for decades to come was not justified and makes him perhaps the most draconian president in history.

draconian law is strict and severe punishment for frivolous and menial crime. What you described wads not Draconian law. Furthermore, if you want me to prove to you that secession was without a doubt illegal and there was no moral right to do so, I can either debate you, or we can visit the society section of the forum.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:52:43 PM

http://www.myfacewhen.net...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:53:35 PM
At 8/31/2011 6:51:06 PM, 000ike wrote:

draconian law is strict and severe punishment for frivolous and menial crime. What you described wads not Draconian law. Furthermore, if you want me to prove to you that secession was without a doubt illegal and there was no moral right to do so, I can either debate you, or we can visit the society section of the forum.

I'd love to see forums, so others can participate. Also given that this would likely need more than 5 rounds.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 7:00:47 PM
Media, often. Tourists, yes. That is because it is about intent. If you intend to record someone, it is a crime, if you are recording your friend and someone happens to be in the back ground, it is not.:

Then I can't wait for the landmark Supreme Court case where an Illinois resident films some police brutality and totally turns it on their heads.
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 7:30:29 PM
000ike, I'll debate you on the right to secede. Challenge me whenever.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 7:36:13 PM
At 8/31/2011 7:30:29 PM, Tim_Spin wrote:

Okay, I'm send a challenge probably tomorrow.
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 7:42:53 PM
At 8/31/2011 7:36:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/31/2011 7:30:29 PM, Tim_Spin wrote:

Okay, I'm send a challenge probably tomorrow.

Sounds good. I dont believe I've debated you yet. Curious to see your style.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 7:55:32 PM

Agreed he was a very draconian president, but not the most. However, he did set a dangerous precedent.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...