Jump to topic:

Offensive 9/11 Coloring Book?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:05:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In my Facebook pursuits, someone shared this article: http://www.guardian.co.uk...

In it, it describes a 9/11 coloring book (I'll give you a moment to let that phrase sink in) which gives a surprisingly anti-Muslim message.

So please, read the article and share your thoughts.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:12:07 PM
At 9/3/2011 10:05:39 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
In my Facebook pursuits, someone shared this article: http://www.guardian.co.uk...

In it, it describes a 9/11 coloring book (I'll give you a moment to let that phrase sink in) which gives a surprisingly anti-Muslim message.

Its just propaganda, except this time, its being fed to innocent children, nothing new.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 11:14:16 PM
'Produce a coloring book with equal airtime to show that not all Muslims are like bin Laden.'

Wat.

No CAIR, you produce a goddamn coloring book if you want your message with it, this is a coloring book about 9/11, and apparently about shooting the guy who perpetrated it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 11:37:57 PM
You can't exactly perpetuate a war without demonizing the enemy. Propaganda isn't like it was in the good old days.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 11:47:35 PM
Yea definitely not appropriate for children.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 11:54:06 PM
I can see how it's innappropirate for Children with the violence it has but I don't see how it's offensive towards muslims.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 12:43:57 PM
It's just stupid. An insult the intelligence of humans. The whole thing sounds and reads like it was made by a couple of deluded hicks who just got back from a post-Tea Party rally KKK raid.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 1:06:10 PM
At 9/4/2011 12:56:57 PM, ryan_thomas wrote:
I'm going to buy it for my baby brothers and their friends.

Good choice, brainwash children.

/sarcasm
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 1:24:28 PM

What I find offensive is where moderate muslims consider this to be more offensive than the crimes committed in the name is Islam. Therein lays the route of the problem.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 1:39:50 PM
Notice it's the same people with the Tea Party coloring book..
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 1:40:42 PM
At 9/4/2011 1:24:28 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

What I find offensive is where moderate muslims consider this to be more offensive than the crimes committed in the name is Islam. Therein lays the route of the problem.

This.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 1:02:06 AM

Where does it say that?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 3:47:36 AM
At 9/5/2011 1:02:06 AM, LeafRod wrote:

Where does it say that?

Where does what say what?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 6:17:12 PM

Name one such moderate Muslim...
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 9:37:42 PM
I was under the impression you were saying some Muslims apparently (from the article or something) compared this book to the initial attack, but now I realize you must have been making a broader point.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 2:21:36 AM
At 9/7/2011 9:37:42 PM, LeafRod wrote:
I was under the impression you were saying some Muslims apparently (from the article or something) compared this book to the initial attack
By spending their time complaining about one but not the other they imply such a comparison.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 2:22:48 AM
At 9/7/2011 6:17:12 PM, Mirza wrote:

Name one such moderate Muslim...

It should have been 'moderate'.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 9:35:08 AM
At 9/8/2011 2:21:36 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
By spending their time complaining about one but not the other they imply such a comparison.

Not really. There are enough people complaining about 9/11 in the US. With something like this, it's pretty much up to these groups to be the first ones to start the complaining. Also, with an event that happened ten years ago to one that happened just before the article, complaining more about the recent relevant one does not imply anything. Finally, do you have a detailed record of everything that they complain about and how often they complain about them?
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 11:20:28 AM
"This is about 19 terrorist hijackers that came over here under the leadership of a devil worshipper, Osama bin Laden, to murder our people," Bell said. "He [Dawud Walid, executive director of CAIR] calls the book disgusting ... but he should call the people in the book, the 19 terrorists, Osama bin Laden, he should call him disgusting. This is history. It is absolutely factual"

I thought bin Laden was a muslim, not a devil worshiper.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 11:25:50 AM
At 9/8/2011 11:20:28 AM, Heathen wrote:
"This is about 19 terrorist hijackers that came over here under the leadership of a devil worshipper, Osama bin Laden, to murder our people," Bell said. "He [Dawud Walid, executive director of CAIR] calls the book disgusting ... but he should call the people in the book, the 19 terrorists, Osama bin Laden, he should call him disgusting. This is history. It is absolutely factual"

"Factual" means different things to different people.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 11:28:39 AM
At 9/8/2011 11:25:50 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Apperently......
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 11:41:49 AM
At 9/8/2011 9:35:08 AM, LeafRod wrote:
At 9/8/2011 2:21:36 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Not really. There are enough people complaining about 9/11 in the US. With something like this, it's pretty much up to these groups to be the first ones to start the complaining.
That doesn't necessarily rebut it so much as say the "enough people" are already implying such a comparison and judging it the other way.

Also, with an event that happened ten years ago to one that happened just before the article, complaining more about the recent relevant one does not imply anything.
It may be recent but judging it more "Relevant" is precisely the problem. Relevant to what? Not to anyone's rights, and their complaints aren't even relevant to what the book actually said, they are complaints about what the book didn't say. Why should the coloring book have to be all apologetic and spend half its time disclaiming that all Muslims are this way? That's not the point of the book, it would detract significantly from it.

Finally, do you have a detailed record of everything that they complain about and how often they complain about them?
I'll leave what they spend their time on to the reader's judgment.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 11:43:00 AM

Did the BOOK say he was a devil worshipper, or just the dude? :)
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 11:46:36 AM
At 9/8/2011 11:43:00 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Did the BOOK say he was a devil worshipper, or just the dude? :)

That was just the dude, my bad I should have quoted the beginning to that too.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 11:51:02 AM
Well, see, the book was factual. His phrasing was just slightly ambiguous on what he was referring to as factual :P
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 1:31:10 PM
Honestly I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Someone just came out with a stupid coloring book that portrays Muslims in a way that Muslims don't like, so they complain about it. According to you, because they are complaining about the coloring book that literally just came out, which pertains to them specifically, and not continuing to complain about the attack 10 years ago, which pertains to all Americans, they are implying the idea that the coloring book is more offensive than the attack. Okay then. And yes, there are rights issues here - promoting anti-Muslim sentiments will obviously infringe on rights of Muslims.