Wall Street Protests

seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 7:28:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com...

Apparently some people are pissed off because of corporations lobbying the government. Is there any legitimacy to their claims? The protest seems justified, but I don't know everything (yet). What are your thoughts?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 7:35:55 PM
And yet these are the same people who support lobbying of their own beliefs...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 10:06:59 AM
At 9/20/2011 7:35:55 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

lulz. Yes, the protests are justified. Freedom of speech.

It's really hard to say though how much corporate lobbying has on certain policies. Corporations do have a right to lobby, they have freedom of speech. There are many lobbying organizations that lobby for laws that could harm the economic interest of the state. I cite environmental lobbying groups and labor unions as two examples. So, corporations have to at least practice defensive lobbying, lobbying to make sure that these organizations don't destroy their business and as a result the economy. At the same time, corporate interest can practice significant rent-seeking to benefit themselves at the expense of others.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 11:56:22 AM
At 9/21/2011 10:06:59 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/20/2011 7:35:55 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

lulz. Yes, the protests are justified. Freedom of speech.

It's really hard to say though how much corporate lobbying has on certain policies. Corporations do have a right to lobby, they have freedom of speech. There are many lobbying organizations that lobby for laws that could harm the economic interest of the state. I cite environmental lobbying groups and labor unions as two examples. So, corporations have to at least practice defensive lobbying, lobbying to make sure that these organizations don't destroy their business and as a result the economy. At the same time, corporate interest can practice significant rent-seeking to benefit themselves at the expense of others.

No--I definitely think the protests are justified--no matter how hypocritical they are.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus