Jump to topic:

Chinese Rocket & America the Beautiful

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 5:07:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Did anyone else hear about this? There was a Chinese rocket launch and the news program that was covering it for the Chinese TV played "America the Beautiful". Just sounds like the wierdest thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 5:12:46 PM
America is not hated everywhere, and its not hated in the places it is purported to be hated in. The French for example, do not hate Americans at all, my sister went there one summer, and all people I know that have been there say the same thing. Plus they did have a memorial for us on the 9/11 10th anniversary. This is just another example to remind us that we're loved internationally too. Of course, this could just have been a mistake and they played the wrong track. xD

On a side note, America the beautiful should be our national anthem, the star spangled banner is dry and uninspiring.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 5:15:44 PM
At 10/1/2011 5:12:46 PM, 000ike wrote:
America is not hated everywhere, and its not hated in the places it is purported to be hated in. The French for example, do not hate Americans at all, my sister went there one summer, and all people I know that have been there say the same thing. Plus they did have a memorial for us on the 9/11 10th anniversary. This is just another example to remind us that we're loved internationally too. Of course, this could just have been a mistake and they played the wrong track. xD

On a side note, America the beautiful should be our national anthem, the star spangled banner is dry and uninspiring.

(claps for the rocket; boos at ike)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 5:21:53 PM

That's a pretty drastic over-exaggeration. It's true that polls show that America is viewed 'favorably' (stronger wording isn't used) by over 50% in many countries, but the number generally isn't that much higher than 50% and America is almost universally loathed by predominantly Islamic countries. Personally, I think many Americans have an over-inflated opinion of their country - your unofficial slogan 'America is the greatest nation of earth' is tremendously arrogant. Unless 'greatest' is equivalent to 'fattest'.

http://www.pewglobal.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 5:26:10 PM
At 10/1/2011 5:21:53 PM, Kinesis wrote:

That's a pretty drastic over-exaggeration. It's true that polls show that America is viewed 'favorably' (stronger wording isn't used) by over 50% in many countries, but the number generally isn't that much higher than 50% and America is almost universally loathed by predominantly Islamic countries. Personally, I think many Americans have an over-inflated opinion of their country - your unofficial slogan 'America is the greatest nation of earth' is tremendously arrogant. Unless 'greatest' is equivalent to 'fattest'.

I think meeting people in a foreign country is a better assessment of the populous view of this country than a poll. Mainly because I find myself questioning, who did this poll ask exactly?

As for your comment on "America is the greatest nation on Earth." Get over it. It is not a fact, it is an opinion. It is something people use to feel good about where they are and where they are from. Its like giving your dad a "number 1 dad" mug. I find it silly and laughable how you guys make it a point to denounce anyone claiming "america is the best."
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 5:29:59 PM
At 10/1/2011 5:26:10 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/1/2011 5:21:53 PM, Kinesis wrote:

I think meeting people in a foreign country is a better assessment of the populous view of this country than a poll. Mainly because I find myself questioning, who did this poll ask exactly?

As for your comment on "America is the greatest nation on Earth." Get over it. It is not a fact, it is an opinion. It is something people use to feel good about where they are and where they are from. Its like giving your dad a "number 1 dad" mug. I find it silly and laughable how you guys make it a point to denounce anyone claiming "america is the best."

I'm not denouncing you for your claim but for the fact that you have felt that a thread about a Chinese rocket launch accompanied by 'America the Beautiful' must be a venue for you to express your opinion (oh, America is loved internationally and the best!!!)...

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 5:31:12 PM
Some tech guy at the TV station probably was like this:

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 5:32:50 PM
At 10/1/2011 5:29:59 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

I'm not denouncing you for your claim but for the fact that you have felt that a thread about a Chinese rocket launch accompanied by 'America the Beautiful' must be a venue for you to express your opinion (oh, America is loved internationally and the best!!!)...

Perhaps you didn't get the message when I ignored your first comment, but I have no desire to argue with you since I know where it leads. Just to be fair, you may not want to waste your time, because I'll be ignoring these in the future.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 5:51:16 PM
At 10/1/2011 5:32:50 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/1/2011 5:29:59 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Perhaps you didn't get the message when I ignored your first comment, but I have no desire to argue with you since I know where it leads. Just to be fair, you may not want to waste your time, because I'll be ignoring these in the future.

I see that you have capitulated. Victory is mine!!!

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 6:05:26 AM

First of all, you really think that they would play this at the end of their rocket launch out of love for the US? You're nutz. It's just ridiculous context.
Secondly, the left hates the US, and there is a pretty good portion of the world that are on the left. Thirdly, we care too much about hoping people like us. It's idiotic and pathetic. Act in a manner that is in line with decent values and everthing else falls into line. Going to the voting booth thinking that 'if we elect this person, then maybe they'll like us' is just pathetic. Do you think anyone else in the world thinks in these terms?

@ Kinesis, it's a little hard to take criticism of arrogance from a Brit.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:20:23 AM
At 10/2/2011 6:05:26 AM, innomen wrote:

I said 'many' Americans, not all or even most. You, however, appear to have just implicitly stereotyped the entirety of Britain.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:27:18 AM
At 10/2/2011 7:20:23 AM, Kinesis wrote:

I said 'many' Americans, not all or even most. You, however, appear to have just implicitly stereotyped the entirety of Britain.

Not really. It's based on national history, at least that's my line of thinking, not so much on individual personality.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:35:08 AM
At 10/2/2011 7:20:23 AM, Kinesis wrote:

That's also a pretty meaningless as you qualify it; as it's a universal: 'I find many [fill in the people of a country here] to be arrogant.'
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:38:55 AM

So the tiny number of people met on a holiday trip is more representative than a nationwide poll? wtf?

I guess this is fair enough: it just gets on my nerves, not sure why. I guess it's because there are so many things in America that I think are done better elsewhere, and I get the impression that lots of Americans think they're the best at practically anything. There are polls showing that American school children are ranked 25th and 21st in mathematics respectively, but ranked first in the confidence that they outperformed everyone else.

BTW, who are 'you guys'?
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:42:10 AM
At 10/2/2011 7:27:18 AM, innomen wrote:
Not really. It's based on national history, at least that's my line of thinking, not so much on individual personality.

We were cocky sh*ts when we ruled half the world, sure. I don't think many of us think we're the greatest nation on earth or anything anymore, though. We aren't our ancestors.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:46:26 AM
At 10/2/2011 7:35:08 AM, innomen wrote:
That's also a pretty meaningless as you qualify it; as it's a universal: 'I find many [fill in the people of a country here] to be arrogant.'

Well, I don't know the numbers. It's just the impression I get from your politicians, right and left and media. I don't know the percentage of Americans who actually believe that Americans are pretty much the best at everything in the world, but I suspect it's a lot.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 8:16:53 AM
At 10/2/2011 7:38:55 AM, Kinesis wrote:

So the tiny number of people met on a holiday trip is more representative than a nationwide poll? wtf?

I'm saying the same thing at your poll idea. Polls are crap, always. I will admit that meeting the people in person is not better, but I hate it when people pull out polls as if it really shows much of anything.

BTW, who are 'you guys'?

you guys was just addressed to all the people who have ever bothered me on this website about patriotism in America. I wasn't referring to England or anything.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 8:24:02 AM

First of all, you really think that they would play this at the end of their rocket launch out of love for the US? You're nutz. It's just ridiculous context.

I said that it could of course just have been a mistake, beside, other than calling me nutz, do you have any actual legitimate argument for why there is no chance that those people played that piece out of love of America? I'm not even saying its very likely, I'm saying its a possibility.

Secondly, the left hates the US, and there is a pretty good portion of the world that are on the left. Thirdly, we care too much about hoping people like us. It's idiotic and pathetic. Act in a manner that is in line with decent values and everthing else falls into line. Going to the voting booth thinking that 'if we elect this person, then maybe they'll like us' is just pathetic. Do you think anyone else in the world thinks in these terms?

How is this any better than my assertion that China loves us? It isn't. This last paragraph sounds like an onslaught of your opinion, and more of your opinion. Where are the facts?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 12:12:25 PM
At 10/2/2011 8:24:02 AM, 000ike wrote:

I said that it could of course just have been a mistake, beside, other than calling me nutz, do you have any actual legitimate argument for why there is no chance that those people played that piece out of love of America? I'm not even saying its very likely, I'm saying its a possibility.

I see or know nothing to suggest anything like that. Give me some reason to think that the Chinese government would play America the Beautiful out of love and admiration for the US. It's just absurd to common understanding of this country.

How is this any better than my assertion that China loves us? It isn't. This last paragraph sounds like an onslaught of your opinion, and more of your opinion. Where are the facts?
That the left hates the US? Um, well lets start with the Cold war and move on from there. The more leftist a country is the more they hate the US, do you actually need a list of countries to prove this?