The Troops are Finally Coming Home

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:07:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
(CNN) --
President Barack Obama on Friday announced that virtually all U.S. troops will come home from Iraq by the end of the year -- at which point he can declare an end to America's long and costly war in that Middle Eastern nation.

"After nearly nine years, America's war in Iraq will be over," Obama said. "The coming months will be a season of homecomings. Our troops in Iraq will definitely be home for the holidays."

Of the 39,000 troops in Iraq, about 150, a negligible force, will remain to assist in arms sales, a U.S. official told CNN. The rest will be out of Iraq by December 31.
The president said he was making good on his 2008 campaign pledge to end a war that has divided the nation since it began in 2003 and claimed more than 4,400 American lives.The announcement also came after talks that might have allowed a continued major military presence broke down amid disputes about whether U.S. troops would be immune to prosecution by Iraqi authorities.

Obama spoke with Iraqi President Nuri al-Maliki in a video conference Friday, after which he said both nations were comfortable with the decision on how to move forward.

White House: Iraqi troops are ready When U.S. troops leave Iraq
The new partnership with Iraq will be "strong and enduring," Obama said.
"The last American soldier will cross the border out of Iraq with their head held high, proud of their success and knowing that the American people stand united in our support for our troops," Obama said.

According to a statement from the Iraqi prime minister's office, al-Maliki and Obama "shared the same point of view on the need to start a new phase of strategic relations." That includes agreeing to a high-level meeting within two weeks.
Beyond the human cost, the price tag for U.S. military activity in Iraq has been steep as well.

A report from the non-partisan, government-funded Congressional Research Service found that the Defense Department spent nearly $757 billion for military operations in Iraq over the past decade, $50 billion higher than the estimate released by the Pentagon. Another $41 billion for Iraq was spent on State Department and USAID initiatives, plus $6 billion for troops' health expenses, the CRS report stated.

Paul Rieckhoff -- an ex-Army soldier who heads the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, the first and largest such organization for these veterans, according to its website -- cheered Friday's announcement as "really good news for the troops serving overseas."

"It's a really poignant time, especially for the veterans community," Rieckhoff told CNN. "Many of us gave large parts of our lives, some gave all in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn."

While Democrats largely applauded Friday's announcement, some Republicans disagreed with the president. Sen. John McCain called it a "consequential failure" for the Obama administration, which he said wasn't focused on succeeding in Iraq, and Iraq's government.

"Today marks a harmful and sad setback for the United States in the world," said McCain, an Arizona Republican who faced off against Obama in the 2008 presidential election. "This decision will be viewed as a strategic victory for our enemies in the Middle East, especially the Iranian regime, which has worked relentlessly to ensure a full withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq."

Deputy National Security Adviser Denis McDonough dismissed the notion that Friday's decision would affect Iran, which he claimed already is "weaker and more isolated" due to U.S. and allied efforts unrelated to Iraq.

"We don't need to try to exercise our influence on those matters through Iraq," McDonough told reporters Friday. "We're obviously concerned about Iran's willingness to live up to its obligations ... but we don't have concerns about our ability to make sure that the Iraqis can exercise the kind of sovereignty that they want."

Another U.S. official -- who is not authorized to speak for attribution -- acknowledged that "the Iranians have been trying to gain influence in Iraq for some time," but stressed that "Iranian influence in Iraq has limits." The official said the Iraq "will not roll over" to Iran, with whom it has a long history of border disputes including a bloody eight-year war in the 1980s.

The current Status of Force Agreement had called for U.S. troops to leave by the end of 2011. But lengthy negotiations in recent months had led some to expect that American troops -- roughly 40,000 of which are in Iraq -- would remain there into next year.

These talks, however, broke down over the prickly issue of legal immunity for U.S. troops in Iraq, a senior U.S. military official with direct knowledge of the discussions told CNN this month.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:14:27 PM
At 10/21/2011 7:12:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
150 will remain to assist in arms sales...?

Yeah, don't ask me.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:16:39 PM
He needs funds for his new war in Africa... Pull out of Iraq, pull in to Africa. Oil for oil... where are those same moonbat protesters who decried the evils of money for oil during the Bush admin?... curiously silent. It's not okay if the anti-christ (Bush) does it, but as long as the messiah (Obama) does it, it gets a pass.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:20:34 PM
At 10/21/2011 7:16:39 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
He needs funds for his new war in Africa... Pull out of Iraq, pull in to Africa. Oil for oil... where are those same moonbat protesters who decried the evils of money for oil during the Bush admin?... curiously silent. It's not okay if the anti-christ (Bush) does it, but as long as the messiah (Obama) does it, it gets a pass.

What exactly is happening with that? All I've heard of is 100 troops..do you think he'll send more?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:21:35 PM
At 10/21/2011 7:16:39 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Well,
1. We are not occupying Libya
2. We are assisting a revolution in a corrupt state.
3. Most liberals realize that we are only intervening because it is in our corporate interest but at least this time we are doing good through it and not bad.
4. There are definitely people protesting it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:28:53 PM
Are they really?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:33:26 PM
At 10/21/2011 7:28:53 PM, sadolite wrote:
Are they really?

http://abclocal.go.com...

"Marking the 8th anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, protestors rallied Saturday against continued American involvement there.

The protesters also spoke out against the U.S. military getting involved in Libya."

Yes.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 8:07:12 PM
I am extremely happy with this. I may be able to take down my avatar for a bit and put a new one up. Still military, but a new one. I will be counting the days until they are all out. (I know the 150 are staying but that's nothing. We're still occupying Germany and other countries with small forces)
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 10:53:35 PM
At 10/21/2011 8:58:55 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Now If only we can get our troops out of Japan and Germany :p.

Those areas aren't of threat. We need anything there. I am fine with the 150 staying.

BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 12:02:42 AM
At 10/21/2011 7:08:06 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Now if only Afghanistan...

This. Unfortunately, Obama has always been a strong supporter of it.
JuiceSqueeze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 5:29:29 AM
The US will be out of Iraq, maybe - but Iraq will still be dependent on about 10 billion in foreign aid, in addition to the outrageous inflated Iraqi oil prices that we must buy.

Afghanistan is worse, over 100,000 US troops there right? So what about them?

America's role in Iraq was declining well before Obama took over. This step is not an Obama-move and would have happened under any American government.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 1:18:14 PM
1. We are not occupying Libya:

I'm referring to Uganda, the Congo, and the Sudan.

2. We are assisting a revolution in a corrupt state.:

And how many times has that proven disastrous in the past? If the US involved itself in every corrupt state, we'd be battling 150 nations.

3. Most liberals realize that we are only intervening because it is in our corporate interest but at least this time we are doing good through it and not bad.:

The US only does it to support its self-interest, otherwise we would have been in Darfur, Myanmar, or any other third world shithole that needed help.

4. There are definitely people protesting it.:

And they have a right to.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 1:23:15 PM
America's role in Iraq was declining well before Obama took over. This step is not an Obama-move and would have happened under any American government.:

This is nothing more than a political maneuver. Obama's campaign promises, among other things, was to end the war in Iraq. It was a huge selling point in those days, and here we are, 3 and 1/2 years later, still waiting for the messiah to make good on his promise. If he doesn't do it, he fears he can't get re-elected.

But, seriously, who here honestly believes he's doing it besides selfish reasons?
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 11:33:12 PM
If you read the article, we also had to pull out because Iraq wanted US soldiers to become subject to Iraqi law. THat would not have been a good position.

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 12:52:48 AM
At 10/22/2011 1:23:15 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
But, seriously, who here honestly believes he's doing it besides selfish reasons?

Not me.
It's fvcking conspiracy man.

I'm totally ripped. o.O;
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 4:14:01 PM
At 10/21/2011 7:33:26 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Are they really?

"Marking the 8th anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, protestors rallied Saturday against continued American involvement there.

The protesters also spoke out against the U.S. military getting involved in Libya."

Yes.

Time will prove if they come home. I doubt it though. They will be back. Al Qaeda is preparing for their departure as we speak. Nothing like telegraphing all your millitary plans to the enemy. What a schmuck Obama is for doing that. I would have said nothing and made Al Qaeda think we were still there. I would have said we were leaving when times were at their worse and let Al Qaeda walk in and then slaughtered them like pigs in the streets for all to see.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 4:33:47 PM
America has lost another war I see.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 4:44:47 PM
At 10/23/2011 4:14:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/21/2011 7:33:26 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Are they really?

Yes.

Time will prove if they come home. I doubt it though. They will be back. Al Qaeda is preparing for their departure as we speak. Nothing like telegraphing all your millitary plans to the enemy. What a schmuck Obama is for doing that. I would have said nothing and made Al Qaeda think we were still there. I would have said we were leaving when times were at their worse and let Al Qaeda walk in and then slaughtered them like pigs in the streets for all to see.

That would be a brilliant plan. Too bad the president is far from brilliant.

blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 4:45:40 PM
At 10/23/2011 4:33:47 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Another? Name one war that we lost.

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 11:53:08 PM
At 10/23/2011 4:45:40 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:

War of 1812
Vietnam
Somalia
Iraq
Afghanistan
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 11:56:45 PM
At 10/23/2011 11:53:08 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

War of 1812
Actually, I believe that neither side actually won (from a military viewpoint)...
Vietnam
Somalia
Iraq
Afghanistan
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 2:09:42 AM
At 10/23/2011 11:56:45 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

War of 1812
Actually, I believe that neither side actually won (from a military viewpoint)...

You failed to meet any objectives and your capital was burned.

Vietnam
Somalia
Iraq
Afghanistan
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 5:38:43 AM

War of 1812
Vietnam
Somalia
Iraq
Afghanistan

I'll Have to check my history but I do believe we won the War of 1812. Vietnam Was a police action, not a war. Are you referring to the Civil War in Somalia? I'll check but I don't recall a surrender there. Once again, we haven't surrendered in Iraq. We're still leaving troops there. Wouldn't we have to pull out of Afghanistan to even consider it surrendering? You Europeans just can't accept that we have the better military force. From our founding until now, we have proved dominance over the UK more than every other European country.

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 6:06:45 AM
At 10/24/2011 5:38:43 AM, blackhawk1331 wrote:

War of 1812
Vietnam
Somalia
Iraq
Afghanistan

I'll Have to check my history but I do believe we won the War of 1812.

Yea I don't know why Americans are taught that.

Vietnam Was a police action, not a war.

What is the difference, you invaded, you failed to meet your objectives and you lost.

Are you referring to the Civil War in Somalia? I'll check but I don't recall a surrender there. Once again, we haven't surrendered in Iraq. We're still leaving troops there. Wouldn't we have to pull out of Afghanistan to even consider it surrendering?

Why do you need to surrender for it to classed as a defeat?

You Europeans just can't accept that we have the better military force. From our founding until now, we have proved dominance over the UK more than every other European country.

You have the better military force and you consistently lose wars.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 1:54:46 PM
1812: Well we kept New Orleans so it wasn't a total defeat.

Vietnam: Pretty much a total defeat.

Iraq: We need to wait for the next presidential election cycle to declare total defeat.
JuiceSqueeze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 8:33:01 PM
US won virtually every battle against the NV and Soviet proxies in Vietnam but simply could not sustain the attrition element later in the conflict. The US military hasn't really *lost* tactically speaking ever.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 5:04:46 PM
At 10/24/2011 8:33:01 PM, JuiceSqueeze wrote:
US won virtually every battle against the NV and Soviet proxies in Vietnam but simply could not sustain the attrition element later in the conflict. The US military hasn't really *lost* tactically speaking ever.

By that logic, you could say Britain won the The American Revolutionary War (1775–1783) police action against the American colonies, but could not sustain the attrition element....