Arab "Spring" Updates

Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 8:31:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Tunisia

-- Constituent Assembly election 2011 (23rd to 26th October)
Tunisia turned out alright, last weeks elections showed that the fiscally centre-right and moderate Islamic "Ennahda", won 90 of the 271 seats.

30 went to the "Congress for the Republic Party", general moderates, and 21 to "Democratic Forum for Labour and Liberties Party", the secular labour party.

http://www.tunisia-live.net...

Egypt
The junta intermediary phase government isn't moving. Emergency powers are still in place: curfew is active and protests are illegal. Elections set for October were pushed into December but have now been pushed indefinitely into 2012.

The largest protest since revolution occurred on the 9th of October outside the Maspero broadcasting channel. The group was made up mostly of Coptic Eastern Orthodox Christian protesting against the government's complicity to the recent increase in religious hate-crime. On the second day of the protest military vehicles charged into the protesters injuring 217 and killing at least 27.

Libya
Nothing, but I'm far from optimistic. The TNCs greatest internal faction is the "Libyan Islamic Fighting Group", it's ultra-Islamic and follows the Sunni school of Salafi.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 4:38:08 PM
At 11/4/2011 2:04:50 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
Libya, I dont think a democracy CAN be instilled over there, the military has too much power. And it isorganising the elections.

Which military? The army of the TNC is a militia; it doesn't have the discipline, unity or legitimacy of an army. This is why it was defeated in every land skirmish in which it did not have cavalry or air support.

As for elections, according to El-Keib, the usurper, the elections for the Constituent Authority are set for June 2012. Libya has no parties and only two (defined) political factions so this should be interesting.

My eyes are on the place of my birth, Egypt, which is descending to hell.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 10:34:03 PM
Update: The American news networks have not covered this since the summer. The american public has the attention span of a three year old.
ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 7:26:18 PM
Thank you for the updates. I welcome you to keep them coming. I am curious about whether or not the revolutions will be worth it.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 4:12:38 AM
At 11/6/2011 10:34:03 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Update: The American news networks have not covered this since the summer. The american public has the attention span of a three year old.

I don't think that's necessarily true, there are a lot of Americans who have just given up, but truly crave comprehensive, unbiased news in what's going on in the world, so the media caters to the majority who crave the results of Dancing with the Stars.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 4:54:43 PM
I'm sure everyone following this has seen the Egypt protests finally being covered (again), what brings the change of heart?

At 11/22/2011 4:12:38 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/6/2011 10:34:03 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

I don't think that's necessarily true, there are a lot of Americans who have just given up, but truly crave comprehensive, unbiased news in what's going on in the world, so the media caters to the majority who crave the results of Dancing with the Stars.
Writ large people don't care.

Bomb now, think never.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 10:52:37 PM
The Muslim Brotherhood have reportedly won big (37% of the vote) in the parliamentary elections of Egypt, with two more rounds of voting to go. The Muslim Brotherhood is a conservative Islamist party, but they favor democracy and non-violence. I would say things are looking up for Egypt. It could have been much worse. Coming is second is the Nour party (24%), which is reportedly much more conservative than the Muslim Brotherhood.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 11:45:14 PM
At 12/7/2011 10:52:37 PM, ApostateAbe wrote:
The Muslim Brotherhood have reportedly won big (37% of the vote) in the parliamentary elections of Egypt, with two more rounds of voting to go. The Muslim Brotherhood is a conservative Islamist party, but they favor democracy and non-violence. I would say things are looking up for Egypt. It could have been much worse. Coming is second is the Nour party (24%), which is reportedly much more conservative than the Muslim Brotherhood.

This is, of course, assuming that the army decides to concede to the Brotherhood. There have been some reports that they may not. I will have to do some more research.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2011 2:06:39 PM
They say it was a peoples revolution, however, it looks like a military coo.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama