Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Judge beats his daughter

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 4:47:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This issue has reopened the age old debate as to whether parents should beat their children. I say no.Even though there are people who do get scarred into adulthood as a result of this, I don't think that's even the core of what's wrong with beating children.

Kids should not grow up in an environment of violence thinking that physical aggression will always solve their problems.

Parents do not own their children, rather, they have jurisdiction over them. We have a right to a sense of being and individuality, ESPECIALLY with age. A parent is but a sanctioned tyrant if this right cannot be respected.

How do we tell which children are being punished legitimately and which are not? there is no way. What do we say to the kids being beaten all the time, often because their parents just feel like it? What do we say to those suffocated by injustice and harm. The powers of parenthood are too absolute and dominating to go without federal check and balance.

So, even if you have your story of how well you turned out despite being beaten that hardly qualifies as an argument for the deed. Parents have power, and like anything with power, it must be held under control.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 4:56:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I absoultely agree 100%. This is especially controversial in countries other than the US such as those in Asia where violence against the children by parents is societally considered an acceptable form of discipline. It is highly dangerous to believe that physical violence will teach the children right from wrong. It is even more dangerous when society encourages it unlike in the US where violence is looked down upon.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 5:10:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/5/2011 4:56:55 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I absoultely agree 100%. This is especially controversial in countries other than the US such as those in Asia where violence against the children by parents is societally considered an acceptable form of discipline. It is highly dangerous to believe that physical violence will teach the children right from wrong. It is even more dangerous when society encourages it unlike in the US where violence is looked down upon.

And yes, I do find it very interesting that some people who have been the subject of violence from their parents claim to have "turned out okay" and use it as a justification for perpetuating violence on their own children. It is especially frustrating because they use their flawed logic to believe that violence done to them was "good for them" before rationalizing it by inflicting it upon their own children. If they "turn out okay" despite having a violent childhood, they can by no means assume that the reason for "turning out okay" is because of this violent childhood.
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 7:13:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It's not as if every child is made the same and reacts the same way to different forms of punishment. It's not universal, and while I'm sure there are many kids where using corporal punishment would either be ineffective or detrimental, I for one stay in line and refrain from behaving like other teenagers I know, because my father can easily and is willing knock me off my feet if I deliberately disobey him or something along those lines. It's not the only thing that keeps me from acting like a punk, but it plays a good part.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 7:28:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/5/2011 7:13:28 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
It's not as if every child is made the same and reacts the same way to different forms of punishment. It's not universal, and while I'm sure there are many kids where using corporal punishment would either be ineffective or detrimental, I for one stay in line and refrain from behaving like other teenagers I know, because my father can easily and is willing knock me off my feet if I deliberately disobey him or something along those lines. It's not the only thing that keeps me from acting like a punk, but it plays a good part.

So violence is okay if it acts as a deterrent?
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 7:31:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/5/2011 4:56:55 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I absoultely agree 100%. This is especially controversial in countries other than the US such as those in Asia where violence against the children by parents is societally considered an acceptable form of discipline. It is highly dangerous to believe that physical violence will teach the children right from wrong. It is even more dangerous when society encourages it unlike in the US where violence is looked down upon.

Who told you this?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 7:32:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/5/2011 7:13:28 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
It's not as if every child is made the same and reacts the same way to different forms of punishment. It's not universal, and while I'm sure there are many kids where using corporal punishment would either be ineffective or detrimental, I for one stay in line and refrain from behaving like other teenagers I know, because my father can easily and is willing knock me off my feet if I deliberately disobey him or something along those lines. It's not the only thing that keeps me from acting like a punk, but it plays a good part.

The question is not about how a child would react. A child does not need to be miserable for extreme authoritative parenting to be wrong,...much like a slave does not need to suffer for slavery to be inadmissible. Any parent that cannot control their children without violence, is plainly failing as a parent. We should not perpetuate the concept of coercion through violence and intimidation in the future generations of this world. We must not expose the belief that violence and intimidation is the method to getting one's way in as secure an environment as the home. Domination, Intimidation, and Coercion are the ideals of a military, not a loving family.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 10:06:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/5/2011 7:28:41 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
So violence is okay if it acts as a deterrent?

It is definately a deterrent, but the only way it is a deterrent is if the parent is prepared to use it and the child knows it.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 10:19:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/5/2011 7:32:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/5/2011 7:13:28 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
It's not as if every child is made the same and reacts the same way to different forms of punishment. It's not universal, and while I'm sure there are many kids where using corporal punishment would either be ineffective or detrimental, I for one stay in line and refrain from behaving like other teenagers I know, because my father can easily and is willing knock me off my feet if I deliberately disobey him or something along those lines. It's not the only thing that keeps me from acting like a punk, but it plays a good part.

The question is not about how a child would react. A child does not need to be miserable for extreme authoritative parenting to be wrong,...much like a slave does not need to suffer for slavery to be inadmissible. Any parent that cannot control their children without violence, is plainly failing as a parent. We should not perpetuate the concept of coercion through violence and intimidation in the future generations of this world. We must not expose the belief that violence and intimidation is the method to getting one's way in as secure an environment as the home. Domination, Intimidation, and Coercion are the ideals of a military, not a loving family.

Many parents way back when, would spank and smack their kids for misbehaving and disobediance. Kids back then by and large did not turn out abnormal or psychologically distraught and those parents were not "failing" as parents. And while violence or the threat of violence doesn't work on every single child, I'm sure it works on a good amount. I would get spanked every now and then when I was a little kid, I wasn't terrified of my parents, I was simply afraid from acting out. You act as if parents were constantly whipping children and beating them with clubs. Children should definately be afraid of misbehaving and acting like brats, and if the threat of violence works, so be it. You can't simply say corporal punishment is bad because corporal punishment is bad.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 10:37:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 10:06:50 AM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 11/5/2011 7:28:41 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
So violence is okay if it acts as a deterrent?

It is definately a deterrent, but the only way it is a deterrent is if the parent is prepared to use it and the child knows it.

Read this lol!

http://www.uhuh.com...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:20:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 10:19:35 AM, quarterexchange wrote:

Many parents way back when, would spank and smack their kids for misbehaving and disobediance. Kids back then by and large did not turn out abnormal or psychologically distraught and those parents were not "failing" as parents. And while violence or the threat of violence doesn't work on every single child, I'm sure it works on a good amount. I would get spanked every now and then when I was a little kid, I wasn't terrified of my parents, I was simply afraid from acting out. You act as if parents were constantly whipping children and beating them with clubs. Children should definately be afraid of misbehaving and acting like brats, and if the threat of violence works, so be it. You can't simply say corporal punishment is bad because corporal punishment is bad.

Not that this is really evidence for anything (correlation does not imply causation) but Generation Y is a much worse generation then previous generations.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:27:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The thing about hitting your kids is it doesn't replace the bad behaviour with good behaviour.

And most of the time, they don't learn anything except fear and resentment.

If there's a problem with generation Y I wouldn't say its from a lack of beating your kids. There have been a crapload of societal changes. To name a few, parents have gone in the opposite direction and have become too indulgent with their children; media influences and technology have really impacted the way kids behave; both parents working just don't have the time or energy to deal with misbehaving children; more people are now second generation immigrants, rather than first gen, and knowing how tough their childhood was, they become too lax and their kids become entitled.

I'm just speculating with the last paragraph of course.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:51:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
A spank is ok, but a beating is cruel
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 10:23:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
For me it's if it's done out of anger. Spanking is not cruel, and whatevr you want to say, it works. I was spanked when I was a little kid, and it shows 1) The parents dominance 2) Retribution for the Childs actions and 3) That whatever they did they are not to do again, for fear of another spanking. As long as it's not in anger, it's not a beating, and the parents tell their kids that they love them, and show that they love them, I'm perfectly ok with it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 6:06:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So, a child misbehaves, then the parents acts irrationally to deter the child from misbehaving?

People have to realize. Those are your kids. If they're @ssholes, then there's probably shtt you need to work on, which you can later use to help them.

Are you really reading/listening to that word?

"Beating."

Like, hitting repeatedly, probably with an object.

Think about seeing a bear, something that frightens us, repeatedly hitting a cub with a stick. We'd be horrified.

Fcking monsters.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 10:25:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/6/2011 12:20:37 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Not that this is really evidence for anything (correlation does not imply causation) but Generation Y is a much worse generation then previous generations.

...in your opinion.

But yeah, acceptable beatings may not change much. All it does is say that you should be able to beat your values into someone - not that the values you are beating into them are right.
President of DDO