Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

6 years... FOR CODIENE??????????

Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 8:26:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
WHAT?????

http://espn.go.com...

I'm not just saying this because he's a Packer - this is absolute bullsiht. Unless he was taking the codiene and forcing on victims he abducted and kept in his basement, I don't see how having codiene can land you in prison for six years.
Rob
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2011 11:13:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think the issue here is that the man was committing a victimless offense that many people don't even consider morally wrong. It is a crime founded on the greed of pharmaceutical companies. Why do I feel this way? On average, he would have received a very similar sentence for raping someone, and would likely serve even less time.

"While the average sentence of convicted rapists released from State prisons has remained stable at about 10 years, the average time served has increased from about 3 years to about 5 years; for those released after serving time for sexual assault, the sentence has been a stable 6 years, and the average time served grew about 6 months to just under 3 years."

http://www.mincava.umn.edu...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2011 11:58:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 8:26:59 PM, Lasagna wrote:
WHAT?????

http://espn.go.com...

I'm not just saying this because he's a Packer - this is absolute bullsiht. Unless he was taking the codiene and forcing on victims he abducted and kept in his basement, I don't see how having codiene can land you in prison for six years.

In terms of punishment, you'd think the fact that he was a celebrity would make up for the fact that he was black.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2011 12:05:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If Stephen Harper gets his way there's going to be mandatory minimum jail sentences here just for having marijuana. What a bunch of bullsh*t.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2011 12:21:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/18/2011 11:13:48 AM, Ren wrote:
I think the issue here is that the man was committing a victimless offense that many people don't even consider morally wrong. It is a crime founded on the greed of pharmaceutical companies. Why do I feel this way? On average, he would have received a very similar sentence for raping someone, and would likely serve even less time.

"While the average sentence of convicted rapists released from State prisons has remained stable at about 10 years, the average time served has increased from about 3 years to about 5 years; for those released after serving time for sexual assault, the sentence has been a stable 6 years, and the average time served grew about 6 months to just under 3 years."

http://www.mincava.umn.edu...

You can't compare the sentence time of one crime to the serive time of another. Currently, for rape and sexual assault, people only serve about 1/2 their sentence. With drugs, it is much less because of the extreme volume.

You should also note that the source is limited to 1995.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2011 12:50:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/18/2011 12:21:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/18/2011 11:13:48 AM, Ren wrote:
I think the issue here is that the man was committing a victimless offense that many people don't even consider morally wrong. It is a crime founded on the greed of pharmaceutical companies. Why do I feel this way? On average, he would have received a very similar sentence for raping someone, and would likely serve even less time.

"While the average sentence of convicted rapists released from State prisons has remained stable at about 10 years, the average time served has increased from about 3 years to about 5 years; for those released after serving time for sexual assault, the sentence has been a stable 6 years, and the average time served grew about 6 months to just under 3 years."

http://www.mincava.umn.edu...

You can't compare the sentence time of one crime to the serive time of another. Currently, for rape and sexual assault, people only serve about 1/2 their sentence. With drugs, it is much less because of the extreme volume.

You should also note that the source is limited to 1995.

Time served remains generally the same for both offenses.

Here's a more updated reference. :\ http://www.prisonpolicy.org...

Anyway, why can't you compare time served for one crime to another? Of course, the punishment should be relative to the crime, which means that they should be relative to one another.
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:58:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/18/2011 10:51:25 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Prison sentences should be harsh for probation offenders.

Second chance should mean do or die.

No it shouldn't.
Rob
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2011 6:11:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Time served varies by location and/or jurisdiction. The sentence is often Statutory and the Judge has no choice. Also, we are not privy to the presentenceing reports. Having said that, far to any resources are spent on Drug and Vice Crimes, but they are easy for police. I think it is only going to get worse because now the government has a lower standard of proof on many first offenses, and there are felonies for which certain evidence is considered absolute proof of guilt.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2011 6:52:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/18/2011 10:51:25 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Prison sentences should be harsh for probation offenders.

Second chance should mean do or die.

Um, sure. Maybe if you raped or killed someone. Is it "do or die" for a child who breaks his curfew for a second time? The punishment ought to fit the crime. Engaging in recreational drug use is hardly a crime to begin with.
President of DDO
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2011 10:20:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/20/2011 6:11:16 AM, logicrules wrote:
Time served varies by location and/or jurisdiction. The sentence is often Statutory and the Judge has no choice. Also, we are not privy to the presentenceing reports. Having said that, far to any resources are spent on Drug and Vice Crimes, but they are easy for police. I think it is only going to get worse because now the government has a lower standard of proof on many first offenses, and there are felonies for which certain evidence is considered absolute proof of guilt.

I don't think anybody is singling out judges. It is the legislators and ultimately the people (culture) who are responsible for this. That man's life has been destroyed, and for what? Just so some conservative Republicans can hold their noses high in the air and condemn people who use drugs that they don't personally approve of? I need to start being less cordial to people like this because I am just justifying their behavior methinks.
Rob
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2011 11:15:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/20/2011 10:20:02 AM, Lasagna wrote:
At 11/20/2011 6:11:16 AM, logicrules wrote:
Time served varies by location and/or jurisdiction. The sentence is often Statutory and the Judge has no choice. Also, we are not privy to the presentenceing reports. Having said that, far to any resources are spent on Drug and Vice Crimes, but they are easy for police. I think it is only going to get worse because now the government has a lower standard of proof on many first offenses, and there are felonies for which certain evidence is considered absolute proof of guilt.

I don't think anybody is singling out judges. It is the legislators and ultimately the people (culture) who are responsible for this. That man's life has been destroyed, and for what? Just so some conservative Republicans can hold their noses high in the air and condemn people who use drugs that they don't personally approve of? I need to start being less cordial to people like this because I am just justifying their behavior methinks.

Most conservatives favor the legalization of Drugs, gambling and Prostitution. The bible belt is the problem, where being a democrat used to be the law.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 1:52:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/19/2011 12:58:43 PM, Lasagna wrote:
At 11/18/2011 10:51:25 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Prison sentences should be harsh for probation offenders.

Second chance should mean do or die.

No it shouldn't.

third chance then? or fourth chance? or just let people get away with killing people altogether?
signature
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 2:04:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/18/2011 12:50:48 PM, Ren wrote:
At 11/18/2011 12:21:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/18/2011 11:13:48 AM, Ren wrote:
I think the issue here is that the man was committing a victimless offense that many people don't even consider morally wrong. It is a crime founded on the greed of pharmaceutical companies. Why do I feel this way? On average, he would have received a very similar sentence for raping someone, and would likely serve even less time.

"While the average sentence of convicted rapists released from State prisons has remained stable at about 10 years, the average time served has increased from about 3 years to about 5 years; for those released after serving time for sexual assault, the sentence has been a stable 6 years, and the average time served grew about 6 months to just under 3 years."

http://www.mincava.umn.edu...

You can't compare the sentence time of one crime to the serive time of another. Currently, for rape and sexual assault, people only serve about 1/2 their sentence. With drugs, it is much less because of the extreme volume.

You should also note that the source is limited to 1995.

Time served remains generally the same for both offenses.

Here's a more updated reference. :\ http://www.prisonpolicy.org...

Anyway, why can't you compare time served for one crime to another? Of course, the punishment should be relative to the crime, which means that they should be relative to one another.

No, you compared the sentence he received (6 years) to the average sentence served for rapists (about 5 years). Time sentenced and time served are two different things, and so cannot be crossed examined without noting that. He's been sentenced to 6 years, but will likely only serve 2 (if that).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2011 11:10:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 1:52:48 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/19/2011 12:58:43 PM, Lasagna wrote:
At 11/18/2011 10:51:25 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Prison sentences should be harsh for probation offenders.

Second chance should mean do or die.

No it shouldn't.

third chance then? or fourth chance? or just let people get away with killing people altogether?

I'm sorry... how many times would it take for a guy to pop codiene to make it equivalent to killing people? You and parrot seem to think that a meaningless rule can be broken repeatedly and somehow gain exponentially in disutility to society.
Rob
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 11:50:15 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/24/2011 11:10:27 PM, Lasagna wrote:
At 11/22/2011 1:52:48 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/19/2011 12:58:43 PM, Lasagna wrote:
At 11/18/2011 10:51:25 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Prison sentences should be harsh for probation offenders.

Second chance should mean do or die.

No it shouldn't.

third chance then? or fourth chance? or just let people get away with killing people altogether?

I'm sorry... how many times would it take for a guy to pop codiene to make it equivalent to killing people? You and parrot seem to think that a meaningless rule can be broken repeatedly and somehow gain exponentially in disutility to society.

Yeah, that's kind of the point I was making, although you seemed to do so more eloquently. :P