Another teacher arrested for sex with a teen

ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 12:14:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.thedenverchannel.com...

A 32-year-old teacher had sexual relationship with a 15-year-old student, and the teacher is getting "eight counts of sexual assault on a child by one in a position of trust and obscenity-promotion."

The punishment would carry many years in prison, and after that she is a sex offender, never being able to find a reasonable job or a reasonable place to live.

This is wrong. This is horribly wrong, and I hope my own generation wakes up to the terrible lunacy of this, that the baby boomer generation and their predecessors inflicted. The punishment does not nearly fit the crime, and it is questionable whether it should be a crime at all.

The problem emerges from the unrealistic model of sex laws that impose a sharp divide between childhood and adulthood. I propose a legal model with continuously spectral limits. If a child sex victim is below the age of 12, abusers receive greatest penalty. At 12, three quarters of the penalty. At 13, half the penalty. At 14, quarter of the penalty and no registering as a sex offender. At 15 or above, no penalty at all. If you don't agree with no penalty at all at 15, well, then let's have it at 18, but let's still a spectral punishment.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 12:37:31 AM
The real question is, how hot the female teach was. I think the severity of the crime should be judged on how hot or not she is.

If she is hot, no crime.

If she is average, warning.

If she is fugly, death penalty.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 3:13:21 AM
At 11/21/2011 12:14:48 AM, ApostateAbe wrote:

A 32-year-old teacher had sexual relationship with a 15-year-old student, and the teacher is getting "eight counts of sexual assault on a child by one in a position of trust and obscenity-promotion."

The punishment would carry many years in prison, and after that she is a sex offender, never being able to find a reasonable job or a reasonable place to live.

This is wrong. This is horribly wrong, and I hope my own generation wakes up to the terrible lunacy of this, that the baby boomer generation and their predecessors inflicted. The punishment does not nearly fit the crime, and it is questionable whether it should be a crime at all.

The problem emerges from the unrealistic model of sex laws that impose a sharp divide between childhood and adulthood. I propose a legal model with continuously spectral limits. If a child sex victim is below the age of 12, abusers receive greatest penalty. At 12, three quarters of the penalty. At 13, half the penalty. At 14, quarter of the penalty and no registering as a sex offender. At 15 or above, no penalty at all. If you don't agree with no penalty at all at 15, well, then let's have it at 18, but let's still a spectral punishment.

Even that creates absurd situations.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 3:41:43 AM
It call comes from the bogus legal definition of consent.
You can be damn sure a 15 year old boy is consenting whole-heartedly, as is the teacher. It's everyone else who is the problem.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 3:48:31 AM
At 11/22/2011 3:41:43 AM, tvellalott wrote:
You can be damn sure a 15 year old boy is consenting whole-heartedly, as is the teacher. It's everyone else who is the problem.

So you are for lowering the age of consent to what, exactly? 15? Lower?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 5:04:10 AM
At 11/21/2011 12:14:48 AM, ApostateAbe wrote:

How bout we get consistent. In All jurisdictions 14 is old enough to be tried as an adult. Thus, a 14 year old is deemed to have the ability to KNOW what they are doing. Same with being a victim. No special treatment because they are "young". Heck, the reason for the distinction has long since left our society anyway so lets start treating adolescents who try to act like adults like adults....across the board. After all, protecting the children isn't societies job its the parents.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 5:05:54 AM
At 11/22/2011 3:48:31 AM, Maikuru wrote:

It's rather more a case of simply ignoring the law via common sense. Raping a seven year old girl should be a crime, sleeping with a consenting 15 year old boy might be inapropriate or a breach of contract but should not be a crime as such. Any arbitrary age cut off will create absudities in which consenting biological adults are criminalised.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 8:58:30 AM
At 11/21/2011 12:37:31 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
The real question is, how hot the female teach was. I think the severity of the crime should be judged on how hot or not she is.

If she is hot, no crime.

If she is average, warning.

If she is fugly, death penalty.:

Win.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 1:05:19 PM
At 11/22/2011 5:05:54 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

It's rather more a case of simply ignoring the law via common sense. Raping a seven year old girl should be a crime, sleeping with a consenting 15 year old boy might be inapropriate or a breach of contract but should not be a crime as such. Any arbitrary age cut off will create absudities in which consenting biological adults are criminalised.

It's hard for me to imagine a common sense system not based on an individual's own internalized age cut off.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 1:10:01 PM
..nice...
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 1:10:07 PM
At 11/22/2011 5:04:10 AM, logicrules wrote:
How bout we get consistent. In All jurisdictions 14 is old enough to be tried as an adult. Thus, a 14 year old is deemed to have the ability to KNOW what they are doing. Same with being a victim. No special treatment because they are "young". Heck, the reason for the distinction has long since left our society anyway so lets start treating adolescents who try to act like adults like adults....across the board. After all, protecting the children isn't societies job its the parents.

Since when is our legal system known for consistency? Almost everything about it is inconsistent. The dangers of alcohol FAR exceed the dangers of marijuana (!!!) yet one is legal and one is not.

Also, consider sexual harassment lawsuits. There is no dispute that Monica Lewinsky was of sound mind and age to consent to giving President Clinton a BJ, but because he was her superior (her boss, in a way) it means that her choosing to have sexual relations with him means he can be sued for sexual misconduct. Similarly, a teacher is in a position of power over a student even to a greater extent than an employer/employee relationship. Obviously that plus age is going to be considered in a case like this.

Personally, I've dated someone who dated one of her HS teachers. It completely messed her up, in my humble opion. Or maybe she was just always a nut case. Who knows.
President of DDO
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 1:10:36 PM
I mean, OP is a pedo.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 3:29:53 PM
At 11/22/2011 1:10:07 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/22/2011 5:04:10 AM, logicrules wrote:

Since when is our legal system known for consistency? Almost everything about it is inconsistent. The dangers of alcohol FAR exceed the dangers of marijuana (!!!) yet one is legal and one is not.

Also, consider sexual harassment lawsuits. There is no dispute that Monica Lewinsky was of sound mind and age to consent to giving President Clinton a BJ, but because he was her superior (her boss, in a way) it means that her choosing to have sexual relations with him means he can be sued for sexual misconduct. Similarly, a teacher is in a position of power over a student even to a greater extent than an employer/employee relationship. Obviously that plus age is going to be considered in a case like this.

Personally, I've dated someone who dated one of her HS teachers. It completely messed her up, in my humble opion. Or maybe she was just always a nut case. Who knows.

The laws about "power" remain. No boss may date a subordinate, by law. Its big money litigation should the subordinate get upset. The statutes are not the legal system, they are the politicians.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2011 2:35:09 AM
At 11/22/2011 1:05:19 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 11/22/2011 5:05:54 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

It's hard for me to imagine a common sense system not based on an individual's own internalized age cut off.

No I guess not...

Heck screw the age of consent I don't know. If the person is pubescent, has the mental age of a pre-teen, and consented then ignore it.