Jump to topic:

Really Texas?

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:33:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Okay, so we know now why Texas hates government. Because their court systems have no idea what "justice" is.

http://finance.yahoo.com...

13 years ago, a man set an 8 year old boy on fire. The boy lived for 12 years before dying from a rare skin cancer that Prosecutors claim was a result of the burns (the burns greatly increased his suseptability to that cancer).

Mr. Collins was suspected of doing the crime, but was never arrested because of lack of evidence at the time. Now Collins is in prison for sexually assulting another 8-year-old boy, and it is looking more and more like he did it (though he still has not been charged).

The family sued Mr. Collins for the damages to them.

In this Texas court, Mr. Collins was not present at his trial and had no lawyer representation. A Jury court then awarded the platiff $150 BILLION dollars (that will look bad on Collin's credit report when he gets out of jail). A number that they literally just pulled out of their arse so they could take the title of "largest civil trial verdict award."

So in Texas, they make the punishment for crime like nothing what-so-ever resembling a "just" punishment.

Thankfully, the family is smart enough to know that they won't actually get $150 billion, nor likely any of it. Though you can bet that they'll be checking to see if Mr. Collins is every doing financially well so that they can leech off of him for the rest of their lives.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:36:59 AM
Problem in America - they want to have their cake, and eat it too.

Seriously, this can be attributed to SO many problems we have. They're all children.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 12:25:33 PM
lol 150 billion?
Retarded much?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 12:30:45 PM
You're right, monetary compensation is a very unjust penalty for such a crime. A pedophile who burns a child and permanently disfigures him should be publicly hanged.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 12:47:58 PM
That is some Dr. Evil sh1t right there.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 1:10:29 PM
At 12/22/2011 12:30:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
You're right, monetary compensation is a very unjust penalty for such a crime. A pedophile who burns a child and permanently disfigures him should be publicly hanged.

No it's not. You guys do not understand tort. This family will be lucky to get anything, or get much on "his credit report." Another media spin that comes off as unjust, but at the end of the day it will be just. You guys are funny. The misinformed leading the misinformed... Silly guys!!!
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 3:35:16 PM
At 12/22/2011 3:27:23 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
I think that the guy should be punished; but the 150 billion was just over the top and uncalled for.

You're kidding right? He permentantly destroyed a childs life, and sexually assaulted another. 150 Billion is only over the top because he could never pay it...the bastard should consider himself lucky that our laws dont allow executions for such circumstances.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 4:10:04 AM
At 12/22/2011 1:10:29 PM, comoncents wrote:

No it's not. You guys do not understand tort. This family will be lucky to get anything, or get much on "his credit report." Another media spin that comes off as unjust, but at the end of the day it will be just. You guys are funny. The misinformed leading the misinformed... Silly guys!!!

Have fun. Tort is way to advanced for this board. Try to explain a simple Contract. Just a guess, no defense plaintiff met the preponderance standard.(I think that's the standard even in Texas)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 2:12:13 PM
no defense plaintiff
wat
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 2:40:31 PM
At 12/23/2011 2:12:13 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
no defense plaintiff
wat

If you do not answer a complaint you loose. Ergo, Plaintiff wins if there is no defense. (western Law since about 1300)
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 2:41:06 PM
Silly, silly. The man wasn't punished, he was charged damages. Therefore, the verdict didn't need to fit the crime, but rather, fit the negative experience of the plaintiff. Sure, he'll never be able to pay it, but for doing such a horrendous thing, every other dollar he makes for the rest of his life will be garnished.

I'm with Texas on this one.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 5:29:48 PM
At 12/22/2011 3:35:16 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/22/2011 3:27:23 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
I think that the guy should be punished; but the 150 billion was just over the top and uncalled for.

You're kidding right? He permentantly destroyed a childs life, and sexually assaulted another. 150 Billion is only over the top because he could never pay it...the bastard should consider himself lucky that our laws dont allow executions for such circumstances.

"Cruel and unusual punishment" comes to mind when 150 BILLION is a fine. I'm not saying that he should not, say, have natural life in prison, but that in-sane fine is three times Bill Gates' net worth: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Only Chuck Norris could pay that kind of fine, and that may be stretching it; obviously, if Chuck Norris can barely put up with it, then it is cruel. : )
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 5:19:52 AM
At 12/23/2011 2:40:31 PM, logicrules wrote:
no defense plaintiff
wat

If you do not answer a complaint you loose. Ergo, Plaintiff wins if there is no defense. (western Law since about 1300)

I think you may have been missing a comma?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 6:52:13 AM
At 12/24/2011 5:19:52 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 12/23/2011 2:40:31 PM, logicrules wrote:
no defense plaintiff
wat

I think you may have been missing a comma?

Perhaps, but grammatically correct as it is. Place a period after wins and delete to parenthesis if it makes ya feel better.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 11:24:14 AM
It's not Texans that are idiots... just idiots that live in Texas.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
Prox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 8:29:34 PM
I really thought less of Texas. But to put a man into permanent debt for the rest of his life? That's the closest to a real punishment a civil suit could result in.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 9:20:40 PM
Hmm, I guess technically, all the money he makes in the future belongs to them. That is the best sentence I have ever seen! Why haven't we thought of this earlier? Brilliant! Texas, kudos to you!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 8:12:26 AM
At 12/22/2011 12:47:58 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That is some Dr. Evil sh1t right there.

Lol thank you. I needed this.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 11:49:24 AM
The largest ever lottery pay-out in the US was $233 million - which is a great deal of money in anybody's book.

Now, if that paedophile pooftah who was sued is released from jail and he wins that amount every week, after 12 years he would still owe the boy's family $7 billion!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 12:09:30 PM

I agree, but I think he should be burned at the stake rather then hanged.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."