Jump to topic:

Straights of Hormuz

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 11:31:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Iran has been saber rattling about closing the Straights of Hormuz to all shipping. What are your thoughts? I don't think they'd ever go through with it, the 5th Fleet based in Bahrain would crush the Iranian Navy and send us to war if such a thing happened.

Anyways, Iran what do we do about them?
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:20:14 AM
For all you who do not know where in the world the strait of Hormuz is, it is basically the opening of the Red Sea to the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea.

Personally, I think that not only will the US not allow it, but also the UAE (Dubai would then have to export its oil through Saudi Arabia and Oman through pipelines) and Kuwait (which also can export through Saudi Arabia and the much less savory prospect of exporting oil through Iraq) would try to veto that prospect. Saudi Arabia could like it, seeing that more oil could flow through it, but there are a lot of counties-including Oman, Qatar and Bahrain-that would be opposed to it, and many are allies to the US.

I also think it is a bit of antagonism brought on by Iran. : /
RyouofFunce
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2011 12:55:07 AM
Parts of the straight belong to Iran and it is in their full right to close it. Other parts belong to other countrys or is international water. If Iran closes parts of the straight not belonging to themselves they are at fault. However the US have no right to militarily resolve it. The US need to diplomatically resolve something for a change instead of mimicking the sparatan's tactic of bashing everyone who opposes them. The us should be clear with what Iran want, and diplomatically attempt to reach a compromise. More importantly I find the US gross in that it is so involved in empire and prestige building. The straight is thousands of miles away and have almost no concern to the US. How would the Americans like it if China nukes the United States when the US tried to close Louisiana to international shipping?
This problem should be brought to the United Nations and settled by the united Nation, instead of the US maintains it is attempting to preserve world peace and world rights and forbidding other countrys to make war, when it is starting wars that kill thousands of innocents and leave those country politically unstable and dependent. The US have NO right to interfere with this far off crisis. If the US does use force it again reinforce a wide spread belief of the US's disregard and disrespect toward the United Nations.
Someone should open a debate on this:D I challenge anyone who find it interesting enough to start a debate about it and taking the side of the Americans. It should be something like Does the US have rights to interfere in the straight.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2011 1:06:01 AM
At 12/28/2011 11:31:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Iran has been saber rattling about closing the Straights of Hormuz to all shipping. What are your thoughts? I don't think they'd ever go through with it, the 5th Fleet based in Bahrain would crush the Iranian Navy and send us to war if such a thing happened.

Anyways, Iran what do we do about them?

I think Iran should stop trying to pick a fight, and if they are I think they should hurry up and get it over with.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2011 7:58:55 PM
At 12/31/2011 12:55:07 AM, RyouofFunce wrote:
Parts of the straight belong to Iran and it is in their full right to close it. Other parts belong to other countrys or is international water. If Iran closes parts of the straight not belonging to themselves they are at fault. However the US have no right to militarily resolve it. The US need to diplomatically resolve something for a change instead of mimicking the sparatan's tactic of bashing everyone who opposes them. The us should be clear with what Iran want, and diplomatically attempt to reach a compromise. More importantly I find the US gross in that it is so involved in empire and prestige building. The straight is thousands of miles away and have almost no concern to the US. How would the Americans like it if China nukes the United States when the US tried to close Louisiana to international shipping?
This problem should be brought to the United Nations and settled by the united Nation, instead of the US maintains it is attempting to preserve world peace and world rights and forbidding other countrys to make war, when it is starting wars that kill thousands of innocents and leave those country politically unstable and dependent. The US have NO right to interfere with this far off crisis. If the US does use force it again reinforce a wide spread belief of the US's disregard and disrespect toward the United Nations.
Someone should open a debate on this:D I challenge anyone who find it interesting enough to start a debate about it and taking the side of the Americans. It should be something like Does the US have rights to interfere in the straight.

Well since 80% or so of the world's oil goes through these straights and the US is the world's largest oil consumer I think we have an interest in the straights.

As for diplomatic solutions I don't believe in negotiating with radical western hating theocracies.

And the UN is a joke, they can't get anyone to listen to them because they have no military power. Arms speak which is why we use them.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2011 8:04:07 PM
The U.S. will secure it's hegemony and oil supply, you can have no doubts about that. While they might regret it later, or oppose it beforehand, even the left is willing to use our military muscle to secure our interests.

Whether we should have "interests" in other countries resources is another matter entirely.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 7:14:27 AM
At 12/31/2011 11:33:11 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

Check it out, a debate on this very topic from the standpoint of the law.

Whos law? The USA doesn't recognize international Law.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 10:30:51 AM
I enjoyed reading that debate....although the commentary on Iranian-American relations was unnecessary even with your argument...it could have been shortened (as I explained).