How do you feel about death penalty?

Group_nice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 4:28:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hi everybody who reads this!
We have made a group concerning our theme week. We have a project task to do, and it is about death penalty in the U.S.A. We want to know all about how you guys feel. Our group is against death penalty, but still we want to hear your opinions. How does the legalization of death penalty have an effect on your society in the U.S.A. Are you guys more satisfied about murderers getting what they "deserve" or are you guys just sad about it? Just write down everything you feel. And of course if you don't want to share then it is okay.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 4:31:06 PM
At 2/2/2012 4:28:10 AM, Group_nice wrote:
We have made a group concerning our theme week. We have a project task to do, and it is about death penalty in the U.S.A. We want to know all about how you guys feel. Our group is against death penalty, but still we want to hear your opinions. How does the legalization of death penalty have an effect on your society in the U.S.A. Are you guys more satisfied about murderers getting what they "deserve" or are you guys just sad about it? Just write down everything you feel. And of course if you don't want to share then it is okay.

I think we should reserve the right to use it. However nowadays it does not need to be used so much. I would only say we should use it if there is a criminal who can still do damage to society from his cell. Like a powerful gang leader, for instance.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 7:32:26 AM
At 2/2/2012 4:28:10 AM, Group_nice wrote:

What murderers deserve, is life in prison
Death is too good of a punishment
It also send mixed signals. It basically says "Kill people who kill because killing is wrong"
Not to mention it is far more expensive than life in prison
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 3:47:34 PM
At 2/17/2012 10:39:13 AM, Lasagna wrote:
Man cannot play God.

Man can kill people.

I know I would have man kill people that continually seem to show utter disregard for other people's well lives and well being to the point that doing anything less than killing them would seem to either doom someone else being horribly affected by said person or, at best, expending immense resources to Lockdown such a person so securely that, one would Hope, it would be unlikely that said person can inflict grievous pain or injury upon more people.

For people who would seem to continue affecting others in such unacceptable ways I would have them Unable to continue doing so..

If there were an easily accessible Prison-planet... that might suffice.. but it would seem that often the most sure way to take care of these continual problems (and perhaps the most Humane way too) is too end their lives.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 3:49:25 PM
At 2/18/2012 3:47:34 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/17/2012 10:39:13 AM, Lasagna wrote:
Man cannot play God.

Man can kill people.

I know I would have man kill people that continually seem to show utter disregard for other people's well lives and well being to the point that doing anything less than killing them would seem to either doom someone else being horribly affected by said person

now... sure I would have people be killed.. But I don't mean ME when I say "said person"

I mean people who would kill people for less humane reasons.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 3:58:21 PM
We first have to ask ourselves what we're trying to accomplish with the death penalty. If the answer is "justice" then I'm not convinced, because life in prison seems like it would be worse. The higher cost of the DP actually plays a significant role for me because it is taxpayer money. I would support the method if were cheaper whether through revising our execution method or appeal system. Firing squad seems like it would be cheaper, if not just a bullet to the back of the head - not to mention cheaper.

I've been watching a lot of prison documentaries later and I've been considering the idea that a swift execution is a preferable fate than growing old in one of these maximum security hell holes.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:07:24 PM
At 2/18/2012 3:58:21 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
We first have to ask ourselves what we're trying to accomplish with the death penalty. If the answer is "justice" then I'm not convinced, because life in prison seems like it would be worse.

wait.. ?

"Justice" involves inflicting suffering upon people?
That doesn't seem like a worthy goal of itself..

Sure as a deterrent it can make sense.. but of itself that goal seems more like one of Cruelty..

Metaphysics:
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:10:58 PM
At 2/18/2012 4:07:24 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
We first have to ask ourselves what we're trying to accomplish with the death penalty. If the answer is "justice" then I'm not convinced, because life in prison seems like it would be worse.

wait.. ?

Sure as a deterrent it can make sense.. but of itself that goal seems more like one of Cruelty..

I don't find the deterrence argument convincing.

That's one conception of justice, yes.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:11:05 PM

wait.. ?

then again, the notion of "justice" is vague and silly too.. so..

Metaphysics:
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:12:28 PM
At 2/18/2012 4:11:05 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

wait.. ?

Well you don't believe in morality so your opinion on this topic is essentially without merit.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:12:55 PM
At 2/18/2012 4:10:58 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

wait.. ?

I don't find the deterrence argument convincing.

I wasn't referencing the deterrence argument against the DP.. I was saying Causing Pain to someone can deter them from doing something.

That's one conception of justice, yes.

a silly one.. not that others are any better ;)

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:15:04 PM
At 2/18/2012 4:12:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

wait.. ?

Well you don't believe in morality so your opinion on this topic is essentially without merit.

no.

Justice certainly assumes morality.. but the merit of my opinion on the matter (damning justice as silly b/c of my disbelief in morality) is dependent upon the reasoning behind my rejection of "morality"

Metaphysics:
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:17:44 PM
At 2/18/2012 4:15:04 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

wait.. ?

no.

Justice certainly assumes morality.. but the merit of my opinion on the matter (damning justice as silly b/c of my disbelief in morality) is dependent upon the reasoning behind my rejection of "morality"

fair enough, but on political/moral issues your meta-ethical views do prevent you from having substantive judgments in the traditional sense. this is why i usually just skip over your posts on political issues b/c they're expressions of arbitrary preferences representing nothing deeper. I know you can charge the same with me, but I just disagree and we've been over this.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:22:31 PM
I agreed with it, because, yes there are people in society to dangerous to be kept alive, like Osama Bin Laden would have been, in terms of we had no place to keep him really. Also, for serial killers, mass murderers ect.

That's my take on it. It's not make their punishment the worst it can, it's so they are no longer a threat to society. That's the basis for jail and stuff like that anyways, plus the punishment factor.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:23:40 PM
At 2/18/2012 4:17:44 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 2/18/2012 4:15:04 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

wait.. ?

no.

fair enough, but on political/moral issues your meta-ethical views do prevent you from having substantive judgments in the traditional sense. this is why i usually just skip over your posts on political issues b/c they're expressions of arbitrary preferences representing nothing deeper. I know you can charge the same with me, but I just disagree and we've been over this.

yeah :/

In order to be Genuine (not lie) and argue for political positions I would have to try to make you Empathize with how I feel.

Make you feel similarly... People are generally fairly similar.. so this is often possible... but it's time-consuming.. and People are quite often very resistant to such efforts because they cling so tightly to their "morality" that they refuse to engage genuinely.. Refuse to Open Their Hearts 8)

also... sometimes my positions aren't FULLY based in such (often) Mutually shared Humane feelings.. but based more upon my Personal wants..
To argue successfully for these I either need to find Mutual advantage for the other party.. or gloss over (/lie about) my true motives ;)

Convincing people to do things is quite a bit more difficult than just saying how things are.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:27:26 PM
At 2/18/2012 4:23:40 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

In order to be Genuine (not lie) and argue for political positions I would have to try to make you Empathize with how I feel.

Make you feel similarly... People are generally fairly similar.. so this is often possible... but it's time-consuming.. and People are quite often very resistant to such efforts because they cling so tightly to their "morality" that they refuse to engage genuinely.. Refuse to Open Their Hearts 8)

so, first, you have to explain why they're so silly for clinging to baseless notions..

not a good way to start a Political plea

As most politicians seem to know.. lying is much more expedient.

Metaphysics:
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:29:00 PM
At 2/18/2012 4:27:26 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

so, first, you have to explain why they're so silly for clinging to baseless notions..

Yeah, and then what? You just spout off something and hope it convinces them.

If nothing else, it's a little depressing.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:41:26 PM
At 2/18/2012 4:29:00 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 2/18/2012 4:27:26 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Yeah, and then what? You just spout off something and hope it convinces them.

If nothing else, it's a little depressing.

Well.. I must admit..

The most expedient way of arguing politics for me would be to adopt a Utilitarian Framework..

It's a convenient lie.

Metaphysics:
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:43:03 PM
At 2/18/2012 4:22:31 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I agreed with it, because, yes there are people in society to dangerous to be kept alive, like Osama Bin Laden would have been, in terms of we had no place to keep him really. Also, for serial killers, mass murderers ect.

That's my take on it. It's not make their punishment the worst it can, it's so they are no longer a threat to society. That's the basis for jail and stuff like that anyways, plus the punishment factor.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 4:48:47 PM
At 2/18/2012 4:41:26 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
It's a convenient lie.

and meshes well, for the most part, with what I myself, and most people, care about.

Adopt this (mostly care-compatable) framework, don't explain why (being how there's no good reason).. and It'll probably work better for affecting things politically than actually explaining yourself well.

Metaphysics: