: thett was right
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 7:30:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Father of the Year obviously.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 7:38:05 PM
one of my friends posted this sh*t video on facebook.

I'm going to have to go with massive d-bag. He first of all overreacted, and made a fool of not just his daughter, but himself as well on the internet. Kids go through problems, sometimes they will get angry about the parents role in their lives as their searching for greater autonomy. I don't know why he can't understand that. ..and secondly, when he goes on that tangent about what parents do, he acts like its a massive favor that he's been doing for the daughter all her life,..when really its a duty, an obligation for having a child.

I suppose I have an extremely unconventional view on parenting, but I found his utterly unjustified, and it irritates me how people senselessly side with the parent on youtube without bothering to think within the context of a teenagers mind and the motivations behind the daughter's sentiment.

Shooting the laptop was a nice bit of drama for a helpful 50 million views.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 7:41:57 PM
At 2/15/2012 7:38:05 PM, 000ike wrote:

I'm going to have to go with massive d-bag. He first of all overreacted, and made a fool of not just his daughter, but himself as well on the internet. Kids go through problems, sometimes they will get angry about the parents role in their lives as their searching for greater autonomy. I don't know why he can't understand that. ..and secondly, when he goes on that tangent about what parents do, he acts like its a massive favor that he's been doing for the daughter all her life,..when really its a duty, an obligation for having a child.

I suppose I have an extremely unconventional view on parenting, but I found his utterly unjustified, and it irritates me how people senselessly side with the parent on youtube without bothering to think within the context of a teenagers mind and the motivations behind the daughter's sentiment.

I'm not sure. I sure know ALOT of ungrateful teenagers who deserve something like this or even more so. But at the same time, I dont know the whole story by any means. And shooting the laptop was, like you said, dramatic, but also really stupid and wasteful.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 7:51:23 PM
At 2/15/2012 7:41:57 PM, thett3 wrote:

I'm not sure. I sure know ALOT of ungrateful teenagers who deserve something like this or even more so. But at the same time, I dont know the whole story by any means. And shooting the laptop was, like you said, dramatic, but also really stupid and wasteful.

Its one thing to be angry and discretely, deep down, understanding,...its another thing to just be angry. He can discourage what she did, punish her, let her know it was wrong,..but the anger and indignation with which he made that video was repulsive. I don't know, I guess I see life differently, but there's no such thing as a teenager thats flat out bad.

If a teenager is ungrateful,..that parents bad parenting created an ungrateful child. If the teenager is upset about what their parents are doing, its only natural,..since teenagers have the mental capacity of adults, yet are still under the draconian restriction of parental authority.

Again, I think I just see life differently, in a deterministic light, I'm empathetic to everyone that's hated, punished, or suffers.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 8:06:35 PM
At 2/15/2012 7:51:23 PM, 000ike wrote:

Its one thing to be angry and discretely, deep down, understanding,...its another thing to just be angry. He can discourage what she did, punish her, let her know it was wrong,..but the anger and indignation with which he made that video was repulsive. I don't know, I guess I see life differently, but there's no such thing as a teenager thats flat out bad.

If a teenager is ungrateful,..that parents bad parenting created an ungrateful child. If the teenager is upset about what their parents are doing, its only natural,..since teenagers have the mental capacity of adults, yet are still under the draconian restriction of parental authority.

Again, I think I just see life differently, in a deterministic light, I'm empathetic to everyone that's hated, punished, or suffers.

No your opinion definitely makes sense. Honestly, I think I would be more hurt than angry if someone I cared about said the things she said. Maybe that's why he over reacted so crazily.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 8:15:12 PM
At 2/15/2012 8:06:35 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/15/2012 7:51:23 PM, 000ike wrote:

No your opinion definitely makes sense. Honestly, I think I would be more hurt than angry if someone I cared about said the things she said. Maybe that's why he over reacted so crazily.

well, I'd have a little bit more respect for him if that was the case. Though, the most annoying part of that video are the comments. It makes me so angry how some people refuse to think past a certain context, and all you see is this swarm of senseless support for the dad.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 8:42:05 PM
Did you hear the kind of language that girl was using? She got off easy.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
LibertyCampbell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 8:43:30 PM
I'm sorry, but how is the dad in the wrong? He:

a) Bought the laptop
b) Has evidentally given his daughter a good life
c) Destroyed the laptop he bought
d) Responded to assertions made by his daughter

The daughter just didn't understand that all economical value in her life stems from her parents. She seems like an ungreatful tweeb, and I vote FotY.
"[Society] has no vested interest in continuing to exist." -RP
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 8:48:51 PM
At 2/15/2012 8:43:30 PM, LibertyCampbell wrote:

a) Bought the laptop

The daughter just didn't understand that all economical value in her life stems from her parents. She seems like an ungreatful tweeb, and I vote FotY.

Yeah that's true. It's just undoubtedly harsh, and mean spirited. But shes just a teenager
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

LibertyCampbell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 8:54:45 PM
At 2/15/2012 8:48:51 PM, thett3 wrote:

a) Bought the laptop

Yeah that's true. It's just undoubtedly harsh, and mean spirited. But shes just a teenager

She's also just a parasite, who thinks little of her parents and obviously neglects and despises any social responsibilities she has. (of course, these are assumptions based off the video)

I think she will turn out better in the end. Puppy dog parenting leads to all sorts of messes in later life, IMO.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 8:57:58 PM

a) Bought the laptop

I think its his fault in the first place for raising his daughter to be so unappreciative,...and funny enough thats the calculation most parents forget in their blind fits of rage. They lose sight of the fact that they're trying to correct a situation, and just lay blame and anger where its most unreasonable.

Parents in this country of ours seem to think they have no responsibility once they have children. They don't understand that they're bringing new life into this world. When a parent talks like he's doing his child favors with the basic necessities like a home, food etc...they put as an optional favor what is a compulsory obligation. Our society is not designed to fit in children in our workforce. Children cannot make lives for themselves.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 8:59:51 PM
At 2/15/2012 8:54:45 PM, LibertyCampbell wrote:
At 2/15/2012 8:48:51 PM, thett3 wrote:

a) Bought the laptop

She's also just a parasite, who thinks little of her parents and obviously neglects and despises any social responsibilities she has. (of course, these are assumptions based off the video)

I think she will turn out better in the end. Puppy dog parenting leads to all sorts of messes in later life, IMO.

a parasite? really? Don't get me wrong in my defense of this girl, what she said was inexplicably rude, uncalled for, and spoiled, ...but the whole action-reaction of the father and the viewers of this video is disgusting me.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 9:58:14 PM
Originally, I was going to say "father of the year", but then I thought about it some more and essential the father basically infringed upon a massive right of privacy and punished her for it.

We all say negative stuff about others in privacy. Him publicizing the information was an infringement of her right. He probably logged into his daughter's facebook account or other scummy way to get the information.

I mean, libertarian who so full heartily hate the government's PATRIOT Act and champion the "right for privacy" should understand how the father basically infringed upon that right.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
LibertyCampbell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 10:03:27 PM
At 2/15/2012 9:58:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Originally, I was going to say "father of the year", but then I thought about it some more and essential the father basically infringed upon a massive right of privacy and punished her for it.

We all say negative stuff about others in privacy. Him publicizing the information was an infringement of her right. He probably logged into his daughter's facebook account or other scummy way to get the information.

I mean, libertarian who so full heartily hate the government's PATRIOT Act and champion the "right for privacy" should understand how the father basically infringed upon that right.

Right to privacy? You have a right to conceal information, but I wouldn't go as far to say as you have a right to stop open information from spreading.
The internet is a mass-media source. If you put something on there, you either better have (a) no cares as to who sees it, or (b) a good private internet security program (Like facebook, to an extent)

But seriously? A right to privacy on the internet? Cmon....
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 10:10:41 PM
At 2/15/2012 10:03:27 PM, LibertyCampbell wrote:

Right to privacy? You have a right to conceal information, but I wouldn't go as far to say as you have a right to stop open information from spreading.
The internet is a mass-media source. If you put something on there, you either better have (a) no cares as to who sees it, or (b) a good private internet security program (Like facebook, to an extent)

Yes, because the information is designed so that others can't view it. Stating that you don't have a right to privacy on the internet, is like saying you don't have a right to privacy on the phone because "others can hear your conversation". That's bull. If someone gave you a "private message" do you think its moral to make the information public? Of course not.

And I'm very suspicious of how he got the information. Seems like he got it in a sketchy way, especially since he didn't reveal how he got it.
Open borders debate:
LibertyCampbell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 10:23:03 PM
At 2/15/2012 10:10:41 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Yes, because the information is designed so that others can't view it. Stating that you don't have a right to privacy on the internet, is like saying you don't have a right to privacy on the phone because "others can hear your conversation". That's bull. If someone gave you a "private message" do you think its moral to make the information public? Of course not.

And I'm very suspicious of how he got the information. Seems like he got it in a sketchy way, especially since he didn't reveal how he got it.

You are placing property rights on immaterial things. If you send a signal between Point A and Point C, and Point B can simply type in a few codes and intercept it, that is fair game.

If the government didn't regulate the internet, however, then the whole internet could be privatized, and one could just pay for access to the kind of internet content and privacy protection that one feels fit. In fact, if we abandon the whole concept of the WWW, then a lot of issues associated with the internet simply disappear, like pirated material and pornography, because it could be regulated from a private point of view.

But that is besides the point. A family friend probably saw the post and pointed it out to them.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 10:36:15 PM
At 2/15/2012 10:23:03 PM, LibertyCampbell wrote:
At 2/15/2012 10:10:41 PM, darkkermit wrote:

You are placing property rights on immaterial things. If you send a signal between Point A and Point C, and Point B can simply type in a few codes and intercept it, that is fair game.

Yes, you just described wiretapping. Do you favor wiretapping?

If the government didn't regulate the internet, however, then the whole internet could be privatized, and one could just pay for access to the kind of internet content and privacy protection that one feels fit. In fact, if we abandon the whole concept of the WWW, then a lot of issues associated with the internet simply disappear, like pirated material and pornography, because it could be regulated from a private point of view.

First, this is a moral issue rather then a legal issue. I don't know what the law is if I decided just to post all my private messages from e-mail, facebook, DDO for the world to see. However, it would be pretty freakin' immoral for me to do it.

But that is besides the point. A family friend probably saw the post and pointed it out to them.

Bullsh!t. He was fixing his daughter's computer and it just so happened that was when he found out about this message. You know, its not like the daughter didn't save any passwords or anything on her computer and his father wasn't curious at all while fixing her computer. And it was at that time, when he found the information. And he just conviently didn't state how he was able to figure it out in the video. Come on man, your not that naive.
Open borders debate:
LibertyCampbell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 11:07:59 PM
"Yes, you just described wiretapping. Do you favor wiretapping?"

Wiretapping usually violates property rights, that is, you have to plant a bug on a phone or something. But there are signals flying everywhere. It is open information, and if you have the know-how to decode it, then you should be able to abuse the companies that didn't take enough precaution securing their transmitted information.

"First, this is a moral issue rather then a legal issue. I don't know what the law is if I decided just to post all my private messages from e-mail, facebook, DDO for the world to see. However, it would be pretty freakin' immoral for me to do it."

I'm failing to see how. Their might exist social stigma's that pressure you not to publish cherished information, but you certainly aren't legally bound to not release information that others have sent you (Or shouldn't be, at least). If you are so afraid of people finding out what you are thinking/doing, maybe you should be careful how/who you tell.

"Bullsh!t. He was fixing his daughter's computer and it just so happened that was when he found out about this message. You know, its not like the daughter didn't save any passwords or anything on her computer and his father wasn't curious at all while fixing her computer. And it was at that time, when he found the information. And he just conviently didn't state how he was able to figure it out in the video. Come on man, your not that naive."

The way I perceived it, was that the Dad fixed the computer, and the daughter then promptly posted the message on facebook. And if the Daughter had privledged information (I hope not) then she should have done a better job concealing it or have put it in the hands of someone she trusted more. From an individual point of view (if you're hypothesis is correct), then it is her fault that her dad saw the post.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 11:25:18 PM
At 2/15/2012 11:07:59 PM, LibertyCampbell wrote:

Wiretapping usually violates property rights, that is, you have to plant a bug on a phone or something. But there are signals flying everywhere. It is open information, and if you have the know-how to decode it, then you should be able to abuse the companies that didn't take enough precaution securing their transmitted information.

So you favor wiretapping? What If I recorded the conversation and sent it to everyone I know?

"First, this is a moral issue rather then a legal issue. I don't know what the law is if I decided just to post all my private messages from e-mail, facebook, DDO for the world to see. However, it would be pretty freakin' immoral for me to do it."

I'm failing to see how. Their might exist social stigma's that pressure you not to publish cherished information, but you certainly aren't legally bound to not release information that others have sent you (Or shouldn't be, at least)

You really don't see this as morally wrong?

. If you are so afraid of people finding out what you are thinking/doing, maybe you should be careful how/who you tell.

"Bullsh!t. He was fixing his daughter's computer and it just so happened that was when he found out about this message. You know, its not like the daughter didn't save any passwords or anything on her computer and his father wasn't curious at all while fixing her computer. And it was at that time, when he found the information. And he just conviently didn't state how he was able to figure it out in the video. Come on man, your not that naive."

The way I perceived it, was that the Dad fixed the computer, and the daughter then promptly posted the message on facebook.

How? She didn't have a computer!

And if the Daughter had privledged information (I hope not) then she should have done a better job concealing it or have put it in the hands of someone she trusted more. From an individual point of view (if you're hypothesis is correct), then it is her fault that her dad saw the post.

That's blaming the victim. That's like saying "Oh, well she should have been more careful at the party. It's her fault she got raped"
Open borders debate:
LibertyCampbell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 12:08:25 AM
At 2/15/2012 11:25:18 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 2/15/2012 11:07:59 PM, LibertyCampbell wrote:

So you favor wiretapping? What If I recorded the conversation and sent it to everyone I know?

Then I probably would re-evaluate our friendship. And no, I'm not in favor of people braking into my house and monitering the equipment I use to conceal the information I send out. But if they intercept it, then it is my fault.

I'm failing to see how. Their might exist social stigma's that pressure you not to publish cherished information, but you certainly aren't legally bound to not release information that others have sent you (Or shouldn't be, at least)

You really don't see this as morally wrong?

Sure I do. But so what? You aren't obligated legally to conceal publicized information. And as far as morality goes, well, it is another dispute altogether.

. If you are so afraid of people finding out what you are thinking/doing, maybe you should be careful how/who you tell.

The way I perceived it, was that the Dad fixed the computer, and the daughter then promptly posted the message on facebook.

How? She didn't have a computer!

And if the Daughter had privledged information (I hope not) then she should have done a better job concealing it or have put it in the hands of someone she trusted more. From an individual point of view (if you're hypothesis is correct), then it is her fault that her dad saw the post.

That's blaming the victim. That's like saying "Oh, well she should have been more careful at the party. It's her fault she got raped"

Sequence of events:

Dad fixes computer
Dad give backs computer
Daughter posts stuff on Facebook
Dad takes laptop when daughter is away
Dad shoots laptop

That is how I understood it.

I'm not saying it is all her fault, but if someone got raped at a party you couldn't say that they are completely faultless. If a girl got raped while walking around in a mini-skirt while in the gheto's of Detroit alone, then it might sound more reasonable that she did have it coming to her.

There are social codes that protect us from betrayal, and there are laws that protect us from force. But you cannot expect people to act accordingly, and you have to take responsibility for situations you put yourself in.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 12:12:28 PM
the teenager talked sh*t about both her mom and dad to all of her facebook friends but the she actually hid the message from her mom and dad on facebook so that all of her friends could see it. If she really wanted to call out her parents, she would have let them see it, but shes just trying to be a popular little rebel, who has done stupid sh*t like this before, she got CAUGHT, and is now paying the price for being a real b*tch....

Father of the Year? +1
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 12:58:28 PM
At 2/15/2012 7:18:49 PM, thett3 wrote:
What do you think?

There's no way that is for real.

It's obviously been staged by the US Travel Association to attract tourists from abroad.

I mean a good ole boy sitting in a rustic chair in a field, wearing a cowboy hat and jeans, sporting a Colonel Sanders-style goatie, talking with a broad Southern drawl - and that bit with the Colt 45, what was all that about, he could have used a hammer instead and saved himself the cost of the bullets – no, he's too stereotypical: no Americans are that American (if you see what I mean).
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 1:00:26 PM
@Brian

Trust me, that is very real.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 1:08:23 PM
The dad may have bought the computer, but he gave it to his daughter. The video didn't mention any conditions under which the gift was given - that is not until he threatened repercussions after the gift was already in her possession. As such, the laptop has effectively become her property and all the an-caps, libertarians or anyone else here who claims to care first and foremost about personal property should be shaming the father for destroying his daughter's property. Of course he didn't have to give it to her in the first place, but he did and so there you go.

On another note, I don't think what he did was overly "harsh" so much as completely ineffective. He destroyed the laptop that he paid for, and will probably wind up getting her a new one in the future. Even if he doesn't, he basically wasted his entire investment. This proves that his actions were all about being spiteful and demonstrating machismo rather than actually teaching his daughter a lesson. I think he could have handled it a lot better instead of stooping to her level and proving to be just as immature as a teenager.
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 1:14:31 PM
At 2/16/2012 1:08:23 PM, Danielle wrote:
The dad may have bought the computer, but he gave it to his daughter. The video didn't mention any conditions under which the gift was given - that is not until he threatened repercussions after the gift was already in her possession. As such, the laptop has effectively become her property and all the an-caps, libertarians or anyone else here who claims to care first and foremost about personal property should be shaming the father for destroying his daughter's property. Of course he didn't have to give it to her in the first place, but he did and so there you go.
I find it quite likely that there is an explicit expectation in the household that so long as you remain in it, you waive property rights claims against your parents. I know that this was the case in my household (Although my mother preferred less dramatic means of destroying internet access-- she stuck some kind of epoxy resin in the ethernet port).

The real question for libertarianism is-- is she permitted to exit that household? I know that this was not the case in my household.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 1:30:14 PM
At 2/16/2012 1:14:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The real question for libertarianism is-- is she permitted to exit that household? I know that this was not the case in my household.

I'm not sure if she can legally emancipate herself or not. I personally think she should be able to but that doesn't matter (nor would she likely choose to). Regardless, a gift is a gift unless there was an explicit agreement beforehand. I don't think this guy's a huge d-bag so much as spiteful and immature. If he wasn't acting out of spite he could have sold the laptop so as to avoid a 100% loss, donated it to charity or kept it for himself or until a later date where he could either give or SELL it back to his daughter. Obviously he cared more about embarrassing his daughter than "teaching her a lesson" which just sort of makes him silly.
President of DDO
Cobo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 7:42:06 PM
At 2/16/2012 12:12:28 PM, imabench wrote:
the teenager talked sh*t about both her mom and dad to all of her facebook friends but the she actually hid the message from her mom and dad on facebook so that all of her friends could see it. If she really wanted to call out her parents, she would have let them see it, but shes just trying to be a popular little rebel, who has done stupid sh*t like this before, she got CAUGHT, and is now paying the price for being a real b*tch....

Father of the Year? +1

This +2

This guy is an IT. He knows how to find this stuff and his daughter posted it to everyone of her friends, and removed her parents from her friends. Suspicious? That justifies the dad shooting the computer. If it was me I would've shoot the kid. She's done this stuff before. Embarrassing the people who sacrifice their lives to raise you and you disrespect. OH hell naw
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 7:48:05 PM
You know, I'm thinking of starting a debate topic on this:
"Resolved: Person in this video is likely sleeping with the cleaning lady."

Is it just me, or was he way too defensive over what her daughter said about her. Calling someone a cleaning lady, who you know cleans the place, is not an insult. It's not like she called her a servant or something.
Open borders debate: