Jump to topic:

Syria

Irkutsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 1:24:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What do you think about the situation in Syria?

http://www.nytimes.com...
Life is like radiation. A uniquely damaging event. Perhaps I will live another thirty years. Perhaps I will die tomorrow. But I have no regrets. I was sometimes forced to make difficult choices. But enough is enough. As Vladimir would say, you can only die once, make sure it is worth it.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 7:11:31 PM
At 3/10/2012 1:24:26 PM, Irkutsk wrote:

Sounds identical to the situation in Iraq when Sodom Hussein was in power before we invaded. He slaughtered Curds by the tens of thousands and he and his sons mercilessly tortured people to death in the thousands, What shall we ever do. Let the hand wringing begin and the political hypocrisy flow.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Irkutsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 1:07:04 AM
At 3/10/2012 7:11:31 PM, sadolite wrote:

Sounds identical to the situation in Iraq when Sadaam Hussein was in power before we invaded. He slaughtered Curds by the tens of thousands and he and his sons mercilessly tortured people to death in the thousands, What shall we ever do. Let the hand wringing begin and the political hypocrisy flow.

Its often the most unstable parts of the world which [in the future] turn out to rule it. Look at Asia right now. Asia used to be under the economic supremacy of Europe, now it dominates.

I think it's Sadaam, not Sodom.
Life is like radiation. A uniquely damaging event. Perhaps I will live another thirty years. Perhaps I will die tomorrow. But I have no regrets. I was sometimes forced to make difficult choices. But enough is enough. As Vladimir would say, you can only die once, make sure it is worth it.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 10:37:32 AM
At 3/11/2012 1:07:04 AM, Irkutsk wrote:

Sounds identical to the situation in Iraq when Sadaam Hussein was in power before we invaded. He slaughtered Curds by the tens of thousands and he and his sons mercilessly tortured people to death in the thousands, What shall we ever do. Let the hand wringing begin and the political hypocrisy flow.

Its often the most unstable parts of the world which [in the future] turn out to rule it. Look at Asia right now. Asia used to be under the economic supremacy of Europe, now it dominates.

Spelled wrong on pupose, get it
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Irkutsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 1:07:33 PM
At 3/11/2012 10:37:32 AM, sadolite wrote:

AAhahah.
Irkutsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 9:33:14 PM
Should we invade Syria for political intervention?
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2012 3:35:01 PM
At 3/11/2012 9:33:14 PM, Irkutsk wrote:

They say it will make the situation a lot worse. However, it's a guarentee that the situation will get a lot worse anyway. This has been going on for about 12 months. Imagine another 12 months of allowing the situation to deteriorate even further. I think a time will come when we will have no choice but to intervine. Better sooner than later, no?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Irkutsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 1:16:53 AM
At 3/14/2012 3:35:01 PM, vbaculum wrote:

They say it will make the situation a lot worse. However, it's a guarentee that the situation will get a lot worse anyway. This has been going on for about 12 months. Imagine another 12 months of allowing the situation to deteriorate even further. I think a time will come when we will have no choice but to intervine. Better sooner than later, no?

US occupation is stupid. That's why we're losing these wars. You don't OCCUPY A COUNTRY to take out specific terrorist groups/ oppressive regimes. That's what SPECIAL FORCES are for.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 1:24:31 AM
At 3/15/2012 1:16:53 AM, Irkutsk wrote:

US occupation is stupid. That's why we're losing these wars. You don't OCCUPY A COUNTRY to take out specific terrorist groups/ oppressive regimes. That's what SPECIAL FORCES are for.

Should we just assassinate Assad? Or the leaders of the Rebels?... Not sure I understand what you are suggesting (other than US occupation is bad)... It appears to be a civil war that likely requires more than just sending in special forces if the US wants to effect anything.. Not that I think either of those things will necessarily be good for the US.
Debate.org Moderator
Irkutsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 1:38:29 AM
At 3/15/2012 1:24:31 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Should we just assassinate Assad? Or the leaders of the Rebels?... Not sure I understand what you are suggesting (other than US occupation is bad)... It appears to be a civil war that likely requires more than just sending in special forces if the US wants to effect anything.. Not that I think either of those things will necessarily be good for the US.

Special forces create a power vacuum to be filled.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 1:43:04 AM
At 3/15/2012 1:38:29 AM, Irkutsk wrote:
At 3/15/2012 1:24:31 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Special forces create a power vacuum to be filled.

So they assassinate Assad and the next few guys down the rung and we (the US) provide a new dictator (or just promote the best rebel leader)?... Might be a couple problems with that... Their sugar daddy Iran, and proxies Lebanon, Hezbollah and Hamas may not be too happy with that idea and the chaos will ensue 10 fold.. I'm not a fan of Assad but this is not a realistic plan.
Debate.org Moderator
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 12:18:48 PM
Haven't been paying too much attention to Syria, but Al-Assad looks like the sort of person that was bullied in school.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
HardAssJack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 11:47:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago

I get it. It is because so many of the torture methods used in Syria in Iraq are not only similar, but also sexually humiliating to the victim?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 1:57:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/3/2014 11:47:11 AM, HardAssJack wrote:

I get it. It is because so many of the torture methods used in Syria in Iraq are not only similar, but also sexually humiliating to the victim?

I should care about how a terrorist is treated? They would cut my head off and rape and kill my family just as soon as consider them part of the human race. I would treat them much worse than not being part of the human race. A terrorist would think what he does are acts of humanity compared to how I would deal with them. The word terror to them would be like a sunny walk in the park to me and what I would do to eliminate terrorism. The thought of a terrorist even being caught alive would be the worst horror of all for them after seeing what happens to the ones who do get caught alive.