Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Santorum-Gingrich ticket vs Romney

Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 1:52:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Two questions to dig into in here (though maybe two different threads might be in order).

1) Would a Santorum-Gingrich ticket provide a substantial threat to Romney in the Primary?

2) Is there any real likelihood that Gingrich would accept a VP spot to Santorum? Or would his pride hold out for Pres, or would he be holding out to be Romney's VP?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 2:11:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Romney is going to win and he is going to take Chris Christie as VP.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Johnicle
Posts: 888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 2:19:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's going to be Marco Rubio as long as he's on board. Anything else would be an epic mistake and an easy win for the Democrats.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 2:44:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Rubio explicitly stated on the O'Reilly Factor that he would not like to be VP.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 5:54:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/16/2012 2:11:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Romney is going to win and he is going to take Chris Christie as VP.

Most of the Gingrich supporters would choose Santorum over Romney as their second choice (especially if Gingrich is the VP pick).

Had Gingrich been named (and accepted) as Santorum's VP from the get-go, and his vote count split 70% for Santorum, 10% for Paul, and 20% for Romney (which I don't think is too unreasonable). Then the popular numbers would look like this...

3.90 million - Romney (44.3%)
3.75 million - Santorum (42.6%)
1.15 million - Paul (13.0%)

That becomes a fairly close race. And looking at some different states that would have changed...

SC - Santorum would win, 270k to 215k (instead of Gingrich)
MI - Dead heat, 423k to 423k (Romney probably win by a few hundred)
GA - Santorum 363k to 318k (instead of Gingrich)
OH - Santorum 568k to 491k (instead of Romney)
AK - Santorum 5,160 to 4,660 (instead of Romney)

So instead of Romney having 15 states to Santorum's 9, Romney would have 12 - 13 to Santorum's 13 - 14.

I think that it would be unwise to believe that should Gingrich join with Santorum, that they still can't do jack diddly.

I also must wonder if Christie is really the best option for Romney as VP. Normally, candidates try to grab someone from the opposite side of the conservative spectrum AND country. One would think that a highly conservative southerner would be his best bet.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
JrRepublican
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 2:30:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I would love a Santorum-Gingrich ticket. Santorum's vigor and appeal to family values voters, with Gingrich's knowledge of history, intellect, debating skills, experience, and economic smarts would be great. Would Gingrich do it? I don't know. But I think it would paste Mitt Romney's blaahh-ness
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 1:25:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/16/2012 5:54:07 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/16/2012 2:11:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Romney is going to win and he is going to take Chris Christie as VP.

Most of the Gingrich supporters would choose Santorum over Romney as their second choice (especially if Gingrich is the VP pick).

Had Gingrich been named (and accepted) as Santorum's VP from the get-go, and his vote count split 70% for Santorum, 10% for Paul, and 20% for Romney (which I don't think is too unreasonable). Then the popular numbers would look like this...

3.90 million - Romney (44.3%)
3.75 million - Santorum (42.6%)
1.15 million - Paul (13.0%)

That becomes a fairly close race. And looking at some different states that would have changed...

SC - Santorum would win, 270k to 215k (instead of Gingrich)
MI - Dead heat, 423k to 423k (Romney probably win by a few hundred)
GA - Santorum 363k to 318k (instead of Gingrich)
OH - Santorum 568k to 491k (instead of Romney)
AK - Santorum 5,160 to 4,660 (instead of Romney)

So instead of Romney having 15 states to Santorum's 9, Romney would have 12 - 13 to Santorum's 13 - 14.

I think that it would be unwise to believe that should Gingrich join with Santorum, that they still can't do jack diddly.

I also must wonder if Christie is really the best option for Romney as VP. Normally, candidates try to grab someone from the opposite side of the conservative spectrum AND country. One would think that a highly conservative southerner would be his best bet.

you cant just change the states that have already voted though!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 10:25:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 1:25:18 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/16/2012 5:54:07 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/16/2012 2:11:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Romney is going to win and he is going to take Chris Christie as VP.

Most of the Gingrich supporters would choose Santorum over Romney as their second choice (especially if Gingrich is the VP pick).

Had Gingrich been named (and accepted) as Santorum's VP from the get-go, and his vote count split 70% for Santorum, 10% for Paul, and 20% for Romney (which I don't think is too unreasonable). Then the popular numbers would look like this...

3.90 million - Romney (44.3%)
3.75 million - Santorum (42.6%)
1.15 million - Paul (13.0%)

That becomes a fairly close race. And looking at some different states that would have changed...

SC - Santorum would win, 270k to 215k (instead of Gingrich)
MI - Dead heat, 423k to 423k (Romney probably win by a few hundred)
GA - Santorum 363k to 318k (instead of Gingrich)
OH - Santorum 568k to 491k (instead of Romney)
AK - Santorum 5,160 to 4,660 (instead of Romney)

So instead of Romney having 15 states to Santorum's 9, Romney would have 12 - 13 to Santorum's 13 - 14.

I think that it would be unwise to believe that should Gingrich join with Santorum, that they still can't do jack diddly.

I also must wonder if Christie is really the best option for Romney as VP. Normally, candidates try to grab someone from the opposite side of the conservative spectrum AND country. One would think that a highly conservative southerner would be his best bet.

you cant just change the states that have already voted though!

This was simply to say that had Gingrinch not been in the race to begin with, it would be pretty darn close. So it is logical to think that the remaining race would be fairly close. While Romney has a head start, it would make the race far more interesting.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 9:37:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm still waiting on that Romney/Paul ticket.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Veridas
Posts: 733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 7:06:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/16/2012 1:52:41 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Two questions to dig into in here (though maybe two different threads might be in order).

1) Would a Santorum-Gingrich ticket provide a substantial threat to Romney in the Primary?

2) Is there any real likelihood that Gingrich would accept a VP spot to Santorum? Or would his pride hold out for Pres, or would he be holding out to be Romney's VP?

Oh f*ck me who put these two idiots together?

One of them wants to hump anything that has a pulse.
The other wants nobody to hump anything unless he personally approves of it.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 12:09:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/16/2012 2:19:09 PM, Johnicle wrote:
It's going to be Marco Rubio as long as he's on board. Anything else would be an epic mistake and an easy win for the Democrats.

That would be fine. Then all claims of Obama's inexperience would be rendered useless, because Marco Rubio has less experience than Obama as a Senator alone, not to mention that Obama has a professional law degree, was a Community organizer, and a local politician.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan