Jump to topic:

Iceland

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 4:39:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is copy/pasta I got from facebook. It is something that indeed surprised me because I had heard very little about this and not nearly to the extent to which this person explains. And I don't even get my news from the main television outlets.

"ICELAND. No news from Iceland?… why? How come we hear everything that happens in Egypt but no news about what's happening in Iceland:

In Iceland, the people has made the government resign, the primary banks have been nationalized, it was decided to not pay the debt that these created with Great Britain and Holland due to their bad financial politics and a public assembly has been created to rewrite the constitution.

And all of this in a peaceful way. A whole revolution against the powers that have created the current global crisis. This is why there hasn't been any publicity during the last two years: What would happen if the rest of the EU citizens took this as an example? What would happen if the US citizens took this as an example.

This is a summary of the facts:

2008. The main bank of the country is nationalized.
The Krona, the currency of Iceland devaluates and the stock market stops. The country is in bankruptcy

2008. The citizens protest in front of parliament and manage to get new elections that make the resignation of the prime minister and his whole government.
The country is in bad economic situation.
A law proposes paying back the debt to Great Britain and Holland through the payment of 3,500 million euros, which will be paid by the people of Iceland monthly during the next 15 years, with a 5.5% interest.

2010. The people go out in the streets and demand a referendum. In January 2010 the president denies the approval and announces a popular meeting.
In March the referendum and the denial of payment is voted in by 93%. Meanwhile the government has initiated an investigation to bring to justice those responsible for the crisis, and many high level executives and bankers are arrested. The Interpol dictates an order that make all the implicated parties leave the country.

In this crisis an assembly is elected to rewrite a new Constitution which can include the lessons learned from this, and which will substitute the current one (a copy of the Danish Constitution).
25 citizens are chosen, with no political affiliation, out of the 522 candidates. For candidacy all that was needed was to be an adult and have the support of 30 people. The constitutional assembly starts in February of 2011 to present the ‘carta magna' from the recommendations given by the different assemblies happening throughout the country. It must be approved by the current Parliament and by the one constituted through the next legislative elections.

So in summary of the Icelandic revolution:
-resignation of the whole government
-nationalization of the bank.
-referendum so that the people can decide over the economic decisions.
-incarcerating the responsible parties
-rewriting of the constitution by its people

Have we been informed of this through the media?
Has any political program in radio or TV commented on this?
No! The Icelandic people have been able to show that there is a way to beat the system and has given a democracy lesson to the world"
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 5:04:24 AM
At 5/9/2012 4:39:21 AM, FREEDO wrote:
This is copy/pasta I got from facebook. It is something that indeed surprised me because I had heard very little about this and not nearly to the extent to which this person explains. And I don't even get my news from the main television outlets.

"ICELAND. No news from Iceland?… why? How come we hear everything that happens in Egypt but no news about what's happening in Iceland:

In Iceland, the people has made the government resign, the primary banks have been nationalized, it was decided to not pay the debt that these created with Great Britain and Holland due to their bad financial politics and a public assembly has been created to rewrite the constitution.

And all of this in a peaceful way. A whole revolution against the powers that have created the current global crisis. This is why there hasn't been any publicity during the last two years: What would happen if the rest of the EU citizens took this as an example? What would happen if the US citizens took this as an example.

This is a summary of the facts:

2008. The main bank of the country is nationalized.
The Krona, the currency of Iceland devaluates and the stock market stops. The country is in bankruptcy

2008. The citizens protest in front of parliament and manage to get new elections that make the resignation of the prime minister and his whole government.
The country is in bad economic situation.
A law proposes paying back the debt to Great Britain and Holland through the payment of 3,500 million euros, which will be paid by the people of Iceland monthly during the next 15 years, with a 5.5% interest.

2010. The people go out in the streets and demand a referendum. In January 2010 the president denies the approval and announces a popular meeting.
In March the referendum and the denial of payment is voted in by 93%. Meanwhile the government has initiated an investigation to bring to justice those responsible for the crisis, and many high level executives and bankers are arrested. The Interpol dictates an order that make all the implicated parties leave the country.

In this crisis an assembly is elected to rewrite a new Constitution which can include the lessons learned from this, and which will substitute the current one (a copy of the Danish Constitution).
25 citizens are chosen, with no political affiliation, out of the 522 candidates. For candidacy all that was needed was to be an adult and have the support of 30 people. The constitutional assembly starts in February of 2011 to present the ‘carta magna' from the recommendations given by the different assemblies happening throughout the country. It must be approved by the current Parliament and by the one constituted through the next legislative elections.

So in summary of the Icelandic revolution:
-resignation of the whole government
-nationalization of the bank.
-referendum so that the people can decide over the economic decisions.
-incarcerating the responsible parties
-rewriting of the constitution by its people

Have we been informed of this through the media?
Has any political program in radio or TV commented on this?
No! The Icelandic people have been able to show that there is a way to beat the system and has given a democracy lesson to the world"

Freedo, I learned a long time ago that the news we hear and see is what is being prescribed to us by someone else. Even the most informed news junky has no idea what's really going on in the world, other than certain chosen incidents that will serve some other objective. We are fed information that will pit us against each other so that we aren't actually able to come together to create change. Look at the teaparty and the occupiers, truth is that there is great common ground, but the presentation of each group is intended to demonstrate opposites, so there is an impasse. However, if the commonalities of both sides were discovered and the left and the right abandoned their knee jerk responses and worked together on ending corporate welfare and governmental corruption it would be the end of the establishment, but as long as we are fighting each other, following icons of hyperbole and emotion, the establishment is free to do what it has always done, amass more and more political and financial power.

The very notion of the left and right combining forces is so unthinkable that those in charge are quite comfortable in doing what they want to do without any barrier or restriction.

Getting through the murky and intentional obfuscation of what's going on in the world may not be intentional at the level of conspiracy, but it certainly works for those in charge.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 9:39:51 PM
"Iceland's natural resources which are not in private ownership are the common and perpetual property of the nation. No one may acquire the natural resources or their attached rights for ownership or permanent use, and they may never be sold or mortgaged." - New Iceland Constitution

Sounds a little ... communist?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 12:59:41 AM
At 5/9/2012 9:39:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
"Iceland's natural resources which are not in private ownership are the common and perpetual property of the nation. No one may acquire the natural resources or their attached rights for ownership or permanent use, and they may never be sold or mortgaged." - New Iceland Constitution

Sounds a little ... communist?

Sounds a little like common sense. Five neighbors live around a pond. Who should it belong to?
And it doesn't have to be opposed to free-markets, by the way. It simply has a different "base" of ownership. The conventional base is that whoever finds something first gets to claim it and then they can sell it. However, a more fair base may be one that things start off being owned by everyone, and can then be spread out to individuals from there, as needed.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 4:59:33 AM
bump
This is pretty news worthy.
I was just reading an article in Time magazine reviewing the various regime changes in Europe. It did NOT include Iceland. Blatant censorship.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 7:56:16 PM
At 5/18/2012 4:59:33 AM, FREEDO wrote:
bump
This is pretty news worthy.
I was just reading an article in Time magazine reviewing the various regime changes in Europe. It did NOT include Iceland. Blatant censorship.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 8:38:19 PM
I never commented on this, but I've been talking about it and reading about it constantly IRL since you shared it with us.

So, although I have nothing to add, this will be my bump for this astounding news.