What to do with schoolleavers

shakti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2009 9:53:52 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk...

One in five teenagers receiving their GCSE results next week could be receiving unemployment benefit by the time they are 21, a report says.
Those leaving with no qualifications are twice as likely to sign on as those with qualifications, the report adds.
The Prince's Trust and Sheffield University base their predictions on trends seen during previous recessions.
Their study suggests current 18 to 25 year olds could be the hardest hit in that age group since the 1929 crash.

What should the government do? Focus on more education and training schemes, simply wait for markets to change, or focus on job creation?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2009 11:47:25 AM
I think one very good idea would be to have those on unemployment benefits be forced to show that they are looking for work. At the moment they are simply taken on their word.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 1:25:36 PM
Remove all regulations that have a negative impact on employability (which is pretty much all of them).

????

Profit.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:05:11 PM
At 10/3/2009 1:25:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Remove all regulations that have a negative impact on employability (which is pretty much all of them).

????

Profit.

Except employers don't want to hire uneducated dolts. At least, not the successful ones. So where is the profit?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:07:07 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:05:11 PM, Volkov wrote:

????

Profit.

Except employers don't want to hire uneducated dolts. At least, not the successful ones. So where is the profit?

If we shoot them, we save money they leech of the rich and give a boost to he armaments industry. Double win.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:08:57 PM

????

Profit.

You can pay an uneducated dolt less than an educated one. This keeps the dolt out of unemployment; whereas a minimum wage forces the dolt to be on the welfare check.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:11:15 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:08:57 PM, wjmelements wrote:

????

Profit.

You can pay an uneducated dolt less than an educated one. This keeps the dolt out of unemployment; whereas a minimum wage forces the dolt to be on the welfare check.

Except uneducated dolts will realise this and rise against their elitist oppressors, with Me, Pervrat, Volkov and Brian Eggleston as their Generals
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:12:54 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:11:15 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

????

Profit.

Except uneducated dolts will realise this and rise against their elitist oppressors, with Me, Pervrat, Volkov and Brian Eggleston as their Generals

And then y'all, who prefer the violence of steeling to fund welfare over an honest living, are shot down by a band of Texans.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:15:43 PM
You can only draw unemployment if you've held a job for 6 months or so.

If he's drawing unemployment, that means he was working a job.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:15:52 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:12:54 PM, wjmelements wrote:

????

Profit.

And then y'all, who prefer the violence of steeling to fund welfare over an honest living, are shot down by a band of Texans.

The U.N. I win.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:16:46 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:15:52 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

????

Profit.

The U.N. I win.

The UN doesn't do anything. You lose.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:20:04 PM

????

Profit.

You do realise how balanced the market is?

I increase the minimum wage, inflation increases. There are the same amount of jobs, just things cost more, but not relatively more. A certain amount of jobs will be lost until the market rebalances and people are re-employed.

Same thing if I decrease the minimum wage, only deflation occurs.

If I abolish the minimum wage, an unofficial standard ll be set by the market , presumably lower than the current wage. See the sentence above.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:20:34 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:16:46 PM, Nags wrote:
At 10/3/2009 2:15:52 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

????

Profit.

The U.N. I win.

The UN doesn't do anything. You lose.

Sorry, N.A.T.O I win
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:24:04 PM

????

Profit.

As I noted; the successful ones do not hire uneducated people. Especially given the fact that we're losing our manufacturing touch in North America, no R&D company is going to hire someone without a basic understanding of anything.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:33:27 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:24:04 PM, Volkov wrote:
As I noted; the successful ones do not hire uneducated people. Especially given the fact that we're losing our manufacturing touch in North America, no R&D company is going to hire someone without a basic understanding of anything.

I have no degree, but there are several proprietors I personally know running small but quite successful businesses who hired me even without a formal degree because I have some combination of skills, aptitude, passion or desire needed for the job.

I very much enjoyed working in very successfully run dog kennel, for instance, because the owner valued a love for dogs above a fancy degree. And she was so successful in her business that she had to turn a lot of business away, and many times of the year she was fully booked more than 3 months ahead of time.

I rather miss that job ... unfortunately it was something I did because I loved to, but it didn't pay the bills which necessitated a higher-wage but less-enjoyable job.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:37:12 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:33:27 PM, PervRat wrote:
At 10/3/2009 2:24:04 PM, Volkov wrote:

I have no degree, but there are several proprietors I personally know running small but quite successful businesses who hired me even without a formal degree because I have some combination of skills, aptitude, passion or desire needed for the job.

I very much enjoyed working in very successfully run dog kennel, for instance, because the owner valued a love for dogs above a fancy degree. And she was so successful in her business that she had to turn a lot of business away, and many times of the year she was fully booked more than 3 months ahead of time.

I rather miss that job ... unfortunately it was something I did because I loved to, but it didn't pay the bills which necessitated a higher-wage but less-enjoyable job.

And the whole bestiality thing you have.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:41:00 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:20:04 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

????

Profit.

You do realise how balanced the market is?

I increase the minimum wage, inflation increases.
Which rapes creditors, causing them to be gunshy, so fewer businesses get started.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:41:51 PM
Especially considering how the whole point of increasing the minimum wage was basd on present prices, so the moment the inflation settles out the minimum wage gets increased AGAIN. and AGAIN. And AGAIN.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:46:30 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:41:51 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Especially considering how the whole point of increasing the minimum wage was basd on present prices, so the moment the inflation settles out the minimum wage gets increased AGAIN. and AGAIN. And AGAIN.

Until we adopt a new currency. And again, and again, again. New currency.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:48:41 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:46:30 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Which rapes creditors EVEN MORE.
Which means they invest EVEN LESS
Which means there are EVEN FEWER employers.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:50:53 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:48:41 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

I thought you wanted a new currency? Or, at least base the old currency on something else. Or am I thinking of wjm?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 2:55:39 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:46:30 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Until the market REBALANCES
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 5:15:51 PM
At 10/3/2009 2:50:53 PM, Volkov wrote:

I thought you wanted a new currency? Or, at least base the old currency on something else. Or am I thinking of wjm?

I want a commodity backed currency-- one-time-deal, and yeah my proposal is declaring the total value of all dollars in circulation equal to all gold held by the US government (so each dollar has it's proper proportion by weight). This would probably be short-term "inflation" in the sense that it removes the illusion that hides inflation that's already happened, but it would also mean no more inflation of that variety ever again. what I-Am-A-Panda is apparently referring to is the Zimbabwean style of getting rid of one fiat currency for another fiat currency.

Until the market REBALANCES
That's just it. You said " And again, and again, again. New currency."
That means it never stops, it never has time to rebalance in any particular place.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 9:08:24 AM

????

Profit.

Would the uneducated dolt rather be unemployed or employed? And I thought we were talking about the educated dolts coming out of college.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 3:40:57 PM
At 10/4/2009 9:08:24 AM, mongeese wrote:
Would the uneducated dolt rather be unemployed or employed? And I thought we were talking about the educated dolts coming out of college.

The question isn't whether or not the uneducated dolt wants to be employed; it is whether he can be employed, in his current state.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 10:31:17 AM
At 10/4/2009 3:40:57 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 10/4/2009 9:08:24 AM, mongeese wrote:

The question isn't whether or not the uneducated dolt wants to be employed; it is whether he can be employed, in his current state.

Sure he can. At a lower wage rate than the educated dolt, the uneductaed non-dolt, and especially the educated non-dolt.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 11:15:48 AM
At 10/5/2009 10:31:17 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Sure he can. At a lower wage rate than the educated dolt, the uneductaed non-dolt, and especially the educated non-dolt.

Granted if that lower wage rate is worth enough to cover the cost of living. Or if those jobs are even available. If neither is true, then where does that leave the uneducated dolt?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 12:13:13 PM
At 10/5/2009 11:15:48 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 10/5/2009 10:31:17 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Granted if that lower wage rate is worth enough to cover the cost of living. Or if those jobs are even available. If neither is true, then where does that leave the uneducated dolt?

On his own, to try to glean a living from nature.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 12:18:06 PM
At 10/5/2009 12:13:13 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
On his own, to try to glean a living from nature.

You're a horrible person. And a machine, apparently.