Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Katie Holmes - Great mom or greatest mom?

bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 9:21:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Katie "blindsided" Tom Cruise by filing for divorce and sole custody.

"it was Cruise's strong ties to Scientology and Holmes' fear that their daughter, Suri, 6, would get pulled into the religion that caused her to take action. Suri is reportedly at an age when the organization is set to play a bigger role in her life, and Holmes doesn't want Cruise dictating her religious beliefs."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Katie, you're awesome. Who agrees?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 9:24:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Meeeee!!!! Just read that earlier today. I'm so proud. *tear*
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 9:35:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Not sure.

Is she great for getting Suri away from Scientology, or religion in general?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 10:06:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Scientology is scary... It's why John Travolta's kid died. Because they don't believe in mental illness, so they made him stop talking his anti-seizure meds for his epilepsy. He seized in the shower, hit his head, and died.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 10:09:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/1/2012 10:06:41 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Scientology is scary... It's why John Travolta's kid died. Because they don't believe in mental illness, so they made him stop talking his anti-seizure meds for his epilepsy. He seized in the shower, hit his head, and died.

LOLWUT

The existence of mental illnesses is indisputable an incontrovertible. Its when a religion starts spouting nonsense such as that, that it becomes a detriment to a persons lifestyle, as opposed to a benefit.

Good Job Katie Holmes, for being a good parent and getting your child away from an obvious cult religion.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 10:11:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/1/2012 10:06:41 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Scientology is scary... It's why John Travolta's kid died. Because they don't believe in mental illness, so they made him stop talking his anti-seizure meds for his epilepsy. He seized in the shower, hit his head, and died.

I completely agree.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 10:40:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have a brilliant idea! Let us start a religion, the only ground rules are you cant believe in right handedness, beets, and the color purple.

Those things do not exist according to my religion
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 10:53:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/1/2012 10:40:28 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
I have a brilliant idea! Let us start a religion, the only ground rules are you cant believe in right handedness, beets, and the color purple.

Those things do not exist according to my religion

Awesome. We can call it Factology.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 10:59:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Seriously though, I really never understood the amount of cognitive dissonance it must take for a person to be a scientologist. A sci-fi writer... writes a book... called Dianetics and says it's the bible of a religion called "Scientology"? And they don't believe in mental illness or psychiatry? I mean, REALLY?! How stupid do you have to be to buy that?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 11:24:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/1/2012 10:59:00 PM, Oryus wrote:
Seriously though, I really never understood the amount of cognitive dissonance it must take for a person to be a scientologist. A sci-fi writer... writes a book... called Dianetics and says it's the bible of a religion called "Scientology"? And they don't believe in mental illness or psychiatry? I mean, REALLY?! How stupid do you have to be to buy that?

It's basis isn't more ridiculous than other religions. "Oh I didn't commit adultery...it's just a virgin birth."
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 11:32:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/1/2012 11:24:55 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 7/1/2012 10:59:00 PM, Oryus wrote:
Seriously though, I really never understood the amount of cognitive dissonance it must take for a person to be a scientologist. A sci-fi writer... writes a book... called Dianetics and says it's the bible of a religion called "Scientology"? And they don't believe in mental illness or psychiatry? I mean, REALLY?! How stupid do you have to be to buy that?

It's basis isn't more ridiculous than other religions. "Oh I didn't commit adultery...it's just a virgin birth."



lol well, I didn't want to go there but I'm glad someone did :P
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 12:14:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/1/2012 11:32:12 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 7/1/2012 11:24:55 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 7/1/2012 10:59:00 PM, Oryus wrote:
Seriously though, I really never understood the amount of cognitive dissonance it must take for a person to be a scientologist. A sci-fi writer... writes a book... called Dianetics and says it's the bible of a religion called "Scientology"? And they don't believe in mental illness or psychiatry? I mean, REALLY?! How stupid do you have to be to buy that?

It's basis isn't more ridiculous than other religions. "Oh I didn't commit adultery...it's just a virgin birth."



lol well, I didn't want to go there but I'm glad someone did :P

Haha idk about that...I remember a southpark episode where they encountered some cultists, and when they explained what they believed (which had something to do with molesting children for spiritual energy), one of they boys said "That's retarded." to which the cultist replied: "really? Is it any more retarded than Jesus rising from the dead, or Buddha sleeping under a tree for 20 years?" and the kid said: "Yes. Its wayyyyyyyyyyyy more retarded than that."
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 2:52:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
She shouldn't have had a kid with him in the first place if that's how she felt. Either way, I don't buy it... how exactly does divorcing him stop her daughter from practicing scientology? This sounds like an excuse to me, she probably just wanted to leave him so she could date again, which there's nothing wrong with, but the pretense is unnecessary.

If she still loved him, which she obviously doesn't, then she could talk to her daughter about the subject and keep her level-headed about it. If I had a child with a religious zealot I wouldn't fret... I would simply take the opportunity to instill doubt in the child's head once in a while. That's the thing about superstition AKA religion; it's full of sh!t so it doesn't take much effort to derail its principles. The girl I am somewhat seeing has a son that is currently being indoctrinated into Christianity by his father. I don't make it my business to talk to him about the subject because I believe it's not my place, but I know that if it were my prerogative I could explain to him my perspective and introduce enough doubt into his mind to counter-act what his father is teaching him. Religion is usually spread through smothering children in a belief system without broad exposure to other ways of thinking.
Rob
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 3:00:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Sorry I didn't see the "sole custody" part, which answers my inquiry of how that would stop her from learning the discipline. I simply don't think that just because the guy is religious that she's going to succeed in taking his daughter away - that's not enough to warrant it legally or ethically! It's fvcked up to take someone's daughter away from them, and if I were him I'd be trying to hold myself back from strangling her, greatest mom or not, because that's just low. Like I said she should have thought of that before she created the child with him, it wasn't like his religion was this big secret. What she should do is separate from him and do her thing and be there for her daughter when she has questions about philosophy. This doesn't add up in my eyes, there are pieces we are missing. If I married some Christian girl and then had a kid with her and then filed for divorce and sole custody of the child because she was Christian, I would hope people would be smart enough to question me!
Rob
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 3:59:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 3:02:36 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Hey did you hear? DATCMOTO's wife broke up with him bc she didn't want her child learning Christianity 0_o

If all Christians believed in prayer-healing at the expense of hospital stays for extreme mental illness, that might be an apt analogy. Luckily, Christians are typically smart enough to know when it's time to see a doctor.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 4:02:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 3:59:00 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 7/2/2012 3:02:36 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Hey did you hear? DATCMOTO's wife broke up with him bc she didn't want her child learning Christianity 0_o

If all Christians believed in prayer-healing at the expense of hospital stays for extreme mental illness, that might be an apt analogy. Luckily, Christians are typically smart enough to know when it's time to see a doctor.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 4:06:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 4:02:47 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 7/2/2012 3:59:00 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 7/2/2012 3:02:36 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Hey did you hear? DATCMOTO's wife broke up with him bc she didn't want her child learning Christianity 0_o

If all Christians believed in prayer-healing at the expense of hospital stays for extreme mental illness, that might be an apt analogy. Luckily, Christians are typically smart enough to know when it's time to see a doctor.

Hey, I clearly said "IF ALL CHRISTIANS." I know some are that kind of crazy. Actually, I know a couple personally. And if they ever do see a doctor, you can be damn sure that doctor didn't hear the words, "thanks for saving my husbands life" come out of their mouth. It's all "praise jesus." Right... Because if the doctor hadn't been there to inject life-saving meds into your husbands body, JESUS would have taken care of it. OHKAY. derp.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 4:17:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 4:02:47 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 7/2/2012 3:59:00 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 7/2/2012 3:02:36 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Hey did you hear? DATCMOTO's wife broke up with him bc she didn't want her child learning Christianity 0_o

If all Christians believed in prayer-healing at the expense of hospital stays for extreme mental illness, that might be an apt analogy. Luckily, Christians are typically smart enough to know when it's time to see a doctor.



Holy sh1t that ad is just awful.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2012 2:44:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
@Lasagna

This is not a normal religion, nor a normal man in his devotion to said religion.

We all know that it's one thing to put up with something if you're the only one who has to put up with it. It's another to let your kids into the equation. Scientology tries more than most other "religions" to indoctrinate its youth.

Go to 31:00 in the second video. It's not easy to get out of the religion. They make you sign secrecy statements and pay them money, just to quit Scientology.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2012 4:54:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well I agree the religion and the people are nuts but do you have any idea what it's like to have someone take your child away from you? Even religious zealots don't deserve that... There is a small list of circumstances that justify it and as scary as a life of scientology sounds I don't think it would be on that list. She should use her influence as her mother to do what she can to keep her educated without taking the child's father away from her. Religion is a bunch of subjective BS... You or I can't say with total objectivity that it's better to be an atheist than a scientologist.
Rob