Jump to topic:

'Massive' discovery made at CERN

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 7:30:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It seems amazing that this sub-atomic particle has been so illusive given that it attaches itself to all matter in the universe: the Higgs boson is what gives everything its mass.

http://edition.cnn.com...

So now it has been discovered, great advances in science can be made. Good news for the future of mankind, but bad news for the religious fanatics who claim that funding scientific research is a waste of money.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 12:23:01 PM
'massive'

Just got it 8)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 11:16:18 PM
At 7/4/2012 7:30:36 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
It seems amazing that this sub-atomic particle has been so illusive given that it attaches itself to all matter in the universe: the Higgs boson is what gives everything its mass.

So now it has been discovered, great advances in science can be made. Good news for the future of mankind, but bad news for the religious fanatics who claim that funding scientific research is a waste of money.

Now if only they could prove it by actually getting a..... AND I QUOTE "get a glimps of it" Bwaaahaaahaaahaaa
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 11:22:43 PM
At 7/4/2012 11:16:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 7/4/2012 7:30:36 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Now if only they could prove it by actually getting a..... AND I QUOTE "get a glimps of it" Bwaaahaaahaaahaaa

Who are you quoting?
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 6:22:02 PM
At 7/4/2012 10:39:47 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Not entirely sure what the significance of this is for physics, but good for them!

Um, hello? This opens hundreds of doors in the fields of quantum mechanics.
turn down for h'what
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 6:26:26 PM
I like saying it. Higgs boson, higgs boson, higgs boson.

Also, you should really make another thread about it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 9:25:58 PM
Well, they've discovered something that has consistent characteristics with the Higgs boson. They probably did discover it, but at this point it's still just the initial discovery versus confirmation.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 6:59:02 AM
At 7/4/2012 11:01:44 PM, Cermank wrote:
The future of theism looks grim :P

Yeah, written on every Higgs Boson is a message that says, "God doesn't exist, and chill with that religion shlt. That shlt's fvcked up."
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 8:00:48 AM
At 7/9/2012 6:59:02 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Yeah, written on every Higgs Boson is a message that says, "God doesn't exist, and chill with that religion shlt. That shlt's fvcked up."

If that was written on every Higgs Boson, that would only add support to a created universe.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 2:01:59 AM
At 7/9/2012 6:41:49 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Why? How does this discovery disprove God in any way?

I can only think of one way that comes from a flawed theological position: The god of the gaps. Wherever we have a lack of knowledge or there is a profound mystery in a complex problem, there is claimed to be a god gap. This turns god into an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller as time goes on.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 2:24:25 AM

Oh sorry, I forgot I posted here.

The closer we get to explaining the entire process of the creation of universe, the weaker the theistic claims become. If we are talking about theism as a whole, and disregarding the individual religious claims- there has always been a single argument to integrate the growing scientific discoveries with the theistic claims: the argument the god 'guided' the various phenomenons being discovered. God 'guided' the big bang, for example.

There has been a progressive increase in the atheistic way of thinking as the scientific community pointed out inconsistencies with the theological claims.

As the science fills up the gaps in the models, the theistic claim lose their logical appeal. And with the discovery of Higgs Boson, the standard model of physics becomes stronger- a good news to the logical.

A step forward to religion being degraded to only a comfort cult, which is basically what it is.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 2:25:11 AM

Reductio ad absurdum.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 3:22:24 PM
At 7/10/2012 2:24:25 AM, Cermank wrote:

The closer we get to explaining the entire process of the creation of universe, the weaker the theistic claims become. If we are talking about theism as a whole, and disregarding the individual religious claims- there has always been a single argument to integrate the growing scientific discoveries with the theistic claims: the argument the god 'guided' the various phenomenons being discovered. God 'guided' the big bang, for example.

There has been a progressive increase in the atheistic way of thinking as the scientific community pointed out inconsistencies with the theological claims.

As the science fills up the gaps in the models, the theistic claim lose their logical appeal. And with the discovery of Higgs Boson, the standard model of physics becomes stronger- a good news to the logical.

A step forward to religion being degraded to only a comfort cult, which is basically what it is.

Unfortunately, now days most people don't see God as a way to fill scientific gaps.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 4:30:49 PM
Ironically enough this has done nothing but bolster people belief in God because of the Higgs Boson is also known as 'The God Particle'. Turns out a guy wrote a book and wanted to call it The Goddamned Particle but the publisher changed it.
#BlackLivesMatter
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 9:35:28 PM
At 7/10/2012 4:30:49 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
Ironically enough this has done nothing but bolster people belief in God because of the Higgs Boson is also known as 'The God Particle'. Turns out a guy wrote a book and wanted to call it The Goddamned Particle but the publisher changed it.

Christians learned a long time ago how to "interpret" science -_q
Rob
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 9:43:30 PM
At 7/10/2012 3:22:24 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Unfortunately, now days most people don't see God as a way to fill scientific gaps.

I never said it was. That was how God originated. Today, they are just carrying on the tradition.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 12:18:34 PM

The only thing that sucks is that you can just bend the idea of god to say "Well he made everything that way."
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 10:51:02 PM

lol i admit i got a good laugh out of that.

i dont buy into the filling in gaps leaves less room for god, especially since the real gaps are unfillable by science. so theres this particle that gives things mass, why? how? these are in my opinion unanswerable by science. maybe they find another particle or a force or some other crap and say well thats why. but that just brings up the same question of why and how.

not that this implies a theistic answer is correct, just that it is not less likely because new information.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 4:17:41 PM
You could discover everything about the universe, but you still wouldn't be able to disprove the existence of God, because it would still be logical to believe that a supreme being created the universe or began the processes that were necessary for the universe to form.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 2:06:24 PM
At 8/19/2012 4:17:41 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
You could discover everything about the universe, but you still wouldn't be able to disprove the existence of God, because it would still be logical to believe that a supreme being created the universe or began the processes that were necessary for the universe to form.

Time is a human concept. It was developed long before we understood our insignificant place in a remote and tiny corner of the universe. The concept of time helps us to reconcile ourselves with our immediate, terrestrial, surroundings.

We cannot understand what preceded the big bang. It may have been created by some deity - although there's no reason to suppose that - or it may have been a reincarnation of an ever expanding and contacting universe that has no beginning or end. Or it may have been born into existence by some other means beyond our present comprehension.

Whatever, because we cannot, and never will, be able to prove that that the universe came into being by divine intervention, is no reason to suppose that it did.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...