Jump to topic:

And the worst drivers are...

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 11:13:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
...women, at least according to a small-town German mayor. He recently had smaller, tricky-to-enter parking spots in his town designated as men-only. He claims he did this mostly for publicity, but adds that "Men are, as a rule, a little better at such challenges."

I only take public transit so I can't speak to the accuracy of his belief. So, for the drivers out there, thoughts?

Link: http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 6:37:59 AM
At 7/10/2012 11:13:14 PM, Maikuru wrote:
...women, at least according to a small-town German mayor. He recently had smaller, tricky-to-enter parking spots in his town designated as men-only. He claims he did this mostly for publicity, but adds that "Men are, as a rule, a little better at such challenges."

I only take public transit so I can't speak to the accuracy of his belief. So, for the drivers out there, thoughts?

My mother is a better driver than my father is. That's anecdotal, of course. I doubt there really is a difference.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 6:42:20 AM
I do believe that young men are usually given higher insurance premiums because they are seen as a more accident prone group.

I don't have a source, and I'm not even sure if it's true, but it sounds like it could be.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 7:02:05 AM
According to the researches done on the issue, women are bad at determining the spatial arrangements, because of low testosterone levels at birth. However, men are more aggressive and reckless, so they simply chose to ignore their 'superior' judgement about the distances and directions.

So it can go either way. Generalizations are useless.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 3:05:58 PM
"Men are, as a rule, a little better at such challenges."

Apparently, small-town German mayors aren't very good at stats. Oh well, at least they're all good at parking cars..... and orchestrating publicity stunts.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 3:09:27 PM
At 7/11/2012 6:42:20 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
I do believe that young men are usually given higher insurance premiums because they are seen as a more accident prone group.

I don't have a source, and I'm not even sure if it's true, but it sounds like it could be.

I believe it's true. But at 25 our premiums drop, lower, I think, than wymins.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 12:34:21 PM
I've been a valet parking attendant for 8 years...

The way I drive in heavy traffic scares me and everybody around me..
but I've never scraped anyone 8)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 3:25:07 PM
Men are probably better at parking. We're generally better at spacial tasks than women. We're also more dangerous drivers than women, though.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 3:28:38 PM
Here: "Studies show that, on average, men are better than women at mentally rotating pictures of three dimensional objects (the 3D shapes task) or judging the slope of a line (the angles task).

But scientists note that women outperform men at other tasks. For example, women are more likely to spot which of a group of objects has been moved to a new position (the spot the difference task)"

"One theory is that modern humans are still very similar to their prehistoric ancestors. In early times men spent lots of time hunting in unfamiliar territory where landmarks were less useful. Women, on the other hand, spent more time close to home foraging for food and they may have relied more on landmarks to find their way around."

-http://www.bbc.co.uk...

Sounds like the abilities that men are better at would be more conducive the parking a car.

So, score one for the sexist German mayor.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 11:21:05 PM
Men are more than twice as likely to die in a car crash than women, consider the yearly statistics shown below. In fact, studies have shoiwn as many as 73 percent of all people killed in car accidents are male. Since record keeping began: male fatalities significantly outweigh female fatalities. However men and women do not drive the same number of miles under the same conditions- men do about 60-65% more driving than women. Studies show that woman take shorter trips and female drivers have a greater number of minor crashes than do men. However men are still 70% more likely to be in a serious crash.

Some researchers believe the explanation is to be found hormones related to aggessiveness, others put more emphasis on data such as the measurebly greater alcohol use among men while driving.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 4:44:20 AM
Women are better at parking than men, study suggests--
Covert surveillance of car parks across Britain show women are better at manoeuvring into parking spaces.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 11:35:20 PM
At 7/15/2012 4:44:20 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Women are better at parking than men, study suggests--
Covert surveillance of car parks across Britain show women are better at manoeuvring into parking spaces.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

"Women were also found to be better at finding spaces, more accurate in lining themselves up before starting each manoeuvre, and more likely to adopt instructors' preferred method of reversing into bays. "

This is exactly true for me. For some reason, men never seem to want to park closer to the mall entrance lol. And to this day I use my driving instructor's techniques to reverse park and parallel park.
yang.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 5:50:49 PM
At 7/15/2012 11:35:20 PM, tulle wrote:
And to this day I use my driving instructor's techniques to reverse park and parallel park.

My parking skills go beyond technique:

Cook Ting was cutting up an ox for Lord Wen-hui.2 At every touch of his hand, every heave of his shoulder, every move of his feet, every thrust of his knee - zip! zoop! He slithered the knife along with a zing, and all was in perfect rhythm, as though he were performing the dance of the Mulberry Grove or keeping time to the Ching-shou music.3

"Ah, this is marvelous!" said Lord Wen-hui. "Imagine technique reaching such heights!"

Cook Ting laid down his knife and replied, "What I care about is the Way, which goes beyond technique. When I first began cutting up oxen, all I could see was the ox itself. After three years I no longer saw the whole ox. And now - now I go at it by spirit and don't look with my eyes. Perception and understanding have come to a stop and spirit moves where it wants. I go along with the natural makeup, strike in the big hollows, guide the knife through the big openings, and follow things as they are. So I never touch the smallest ligament or tendon, much less a main joint.

"A good cook changes his knife once a year-because he cuts. A mediocre cook changes his knife once a month-because he hacks. I've had this knife of mine for nineteen years and I've cut up thousands of oxen with it, and yet the blade is as good as though it had just come from the grindstone. There are spaces between the joints, and the blade of the knife has really no thickness. If you insert what has no thickness into such spaces, then there's plenty of room - more than enough for the blade to play about it. That's why after nineteen years the blade of my knife is still as good as when it first came from the grindstone.

"However, whenever I come to a complicated place, I size up the difficulties, tell myself to watch out and be careful, keep my eyes on what I'm doing, work very slowly, and move the knife with the greatest subtlety, until - flop! the whole thing comes apart like a clod of earth crumbling to the ground. I stand there holding the knife and look all around me, completely satisfied and reluctant to move on, and then I wipe off the knife and put it away." 4
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 5:56:06 PM
it seems the study suggests that they're more careful in parking in the middle of a spot.. and more careful in lining themselves up before moving forwards/backwards...

This I already knew.. Men often park like jerks.. and women Take Forever (as the study supported) and can't make up for misalignments by knowing how to drive

Metaphysics:
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 9:41:29 PM
At 7/14/2012 2:08:27 PM, tulle wrote:
Depends on your definition of "better". Men are more likely to get in accidents.

And what, women do it on purpose?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 10:37:22 PM
http://www.accurateautoins.com...

"As mentioned above, men and women over 25 have nearly the same accident rate [based on miles driven, rather than number of drivers]. But they do not get involved in the same types of accidents! Men of any age group are far more likely to be driving while intoxicated, to speed, to drive recklessly, and to flout the law. They also tend to drive cars that give them the psychological boost to commit these violations more often, perhaps, than if they were piloting the family station wagon around town. Moreover, the men of the house are not usually hauling precious cargo – the children – as often as women. All these factors mean that while women, bad drivers as some of us think they are, have a high incidence of fender benders in traffic, parking lot dings and other minor accidents, men are far more likely to be involved in an accident that kills a person, or causes major damage to property."

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu...
(look at pages 19 - 22)
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 12:29:27 AM
At 7/18/2012 11:50:19 PM, Lasagna wrote:
How often do you see a woman driving a motorcycle with a man on back?

When the man gets tired of the backseat driver nagging in his ear.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 7:20:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

What type of dik starts threads that generalize certain groups of people?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 7:46:43 PM
At 3/27/2015 7:20:07 PM, Wylted wrote:

Ironically, women who've read this thread tend to be more violent.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 7:52:35 PM
At 3/27/2015 7:46:43 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 3/27/2015 7:20:07 PM, Wylted wrote:

Ironically, women who've read this thread tend to be more violent.

The only conclusion is that, Women who are literate are more violent?

If they stuck to making sandwiches, they would come across as less violent and therefore be happier.