Town Halls: No Room For A Centrist

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 11:54:49 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
http://www.nj.com...

The link provided is a small opinion piece with a video that has literally frightened me.

Basically, the man talking is a general centrist on the health care debate; he can see the points on both sides, and keeps a reasonable and pragmatic idea about it.

He went into a town hall meeting in what I assume is a New Jersey city, and what he found was absolutely abhorrent; attendees were jeering a handicapped woman as she took her turn at the microphone, people literally believing the blatant lies about "death panels" and sh*t... things that you would not expect out of what seem like reasonable people.

There does not appear to be any reasoned debate, there doesn't appear to be any meaningful discussion or listening, there is nothing but ideologues with a lot of angry but no clue.

What is wrong with America that something this serious is left in the hands of ideologues? Really?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 12:54:21 PM
Centrists are the rope, they can't tug it. The question should not be "ideology or no ideology," i.e., "Consistent thoughts or no," but "which ideology?"
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 7:28:59 AM
I personally find this video/story better.

Story:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com...

I mean, seriously, what the f*ck. Can people be normal? Obviously reports are skewed, we don't know who started the fight, but we do know one thing... one guy got his pinky bit off. Like... seriously?
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 3:09:23 PM
Democratic organizations have been sending messages to people telling them that to show support for their country, they should show up at some specific time and say some specific speech in some specific way at their town hall meeting. Ridiculous.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 5:08:54 PM
At 9/4/2009 3:09:23 PM, mongeese wrote:
Democratic organizations have been sending messages to people telling them that to show support for their country, they should show up at some specific time and say some specific speech in some specific way at their town hall meeting. Ridiculous.

How dare the Democrats do that!

Of course, lobbyist groups and corporations planting grassroots campaigns and bussing people around the country telling them to purposely disrupt town hall meetings so the politicians look stupid is perfectly ethical.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 7:00:02 AM
At 9/4/2009 5:08:54 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/4/2009 3:09:23 PM, mongeese wrote:

How dare the Democrats do that!

Of course, lobbyist groups and corporations planting grassroots campaigns and bussing people around the country telling them to purposely disrupt town hall meetings so the politicians look stupid is perfectly ethical.

I love when MSNBC and The Young Turks keep attacking that the conservative protestors are astroturf (even though they're not). The Dems and liberals can keep up with the ad hominems and the Repubs and conservatives will talk policy like the big boys. Obamacare is losing supporters in Congress and in the public. I love it.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 11:07:28 AM
If the campaigns were planted, they might have a better job done of them.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.