Mars Rover Lands

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 2:11:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/6/2012 1:57:02 AM, FREEDO wrote:
No one? This is cool stuff. At least get into trivial fights about how this is useful.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 2:35:48 AM
At 8/6/2012 1:06:22 AM, FREEDO wrote:
NASA isn't Marsaphilic. They're just Mars-curious.

http://news.yahoo.com...

Female Announcer: "The landing capped a journey that lasted more than 8 months and covered more than 350 miles."

Tehehe
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 2:38:49 AM
Seriously, though, I'm very excited about this. I've read about some of the brand spankin' new equipment and techniques used for the landing, including some enormous parachutes and dangling the rover from wires like something out of Mission: Impossible. I can't wait to see what kind of findings come from this thing. God speed, little dude.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 2:40:00 AM

Also, 4chan will have gifs hijacking that shot of the scientists celebrating within the hour.
- lamerde

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 3:15:00 AM
At 8/6/2012 2:34:59 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I, for one, would love to see us x1000000 our resources for space exploration.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 5:50:33 PM
PEOPLE ARE DYING ON PLANET EARTH AND WE ARE SENDING MINI-SUVS TO MARS? WE NEED TO PUt THAT MONEY INTO TAX-CREDITS FOR LARGE BUSINESSES SO THEY CAN HIRE MORE WORKERS.
Rob
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 6:12:30 PM
At 8/6/2012 8:59:20 AM, WMdebate wrote:
Very surprised this thing actually managed to land with that insane landing strategy. I was sure something would go wrong.

Yes; I wholehearted expected it to crash and become a burning (IDK, because Mars' atmosphere is mostly CO2) hunk of metal on the surface of Mars.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 8:38:08 PM
At 8/6/2012 5:50:33 PM, Lasagna wrote:
PEOPLE ARE DYING ON PLANET EARTH AND WE ARE SENDING MINI-SUVS TO MARS? WE NEED TO PUt THAT MONEY INTO TAX-CREDITS FOR LARGE BUSINESSES SO THEY CAN HIRE MORE WORKERS.

You lack vision on this issue. Space research has done leaps and bounds for technology which inevitably does a lot to help the working class.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 9:14:48 PM

Think all the money wasted on dogs and cats, billions of dollars that could be spend on something more than making doo-doo for me to step in. We should be eating them not raising them. In fact there have to be trillions in religious institutions. We should sell them or convert them to car wash/dry cleaning so they can start doing something for us other than suck the brains out of everyone. Poverty could be ended.

Ok, OK I'm being facetious the former, but the later........hummm there might be an idea there.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 9:24:07 PM
At 8/6/2012 8:38:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:

You lack vision on this issue. Space research has done leaps and bounds for technology which inevitably does a lot to help the working class.

Technology has helped the working class? How? By making us fat and lazy and dependent on clever little solutions to make us more efficient? So we can spend that extra time working off all the debt we are accumulating and being enslaved by employers as well as the state?
Rob
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 1:38:37 PM
At 8/6/2012 2:34:59 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I, for one, would love to see us x100 our resources for space exploration.

I second that, and possibly raise it, but I don't feel like calculating it and being accurate right now. lol
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 1:39:35 PM

Um, no. Giving large corporations more money doesn't work, remember?
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 1:45:50 PM
At 8/6/2012 9:24:07 PM, Lasagna wrote:
At 8/6/2012 8:38:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:

The solution you're suggesting would enhance the problem you're trying to solve. That trickle-down nonsense clearly does not work in the long run. Corporations don't want it to, and they won't let it anymore.

Technology has helped the working class? How? By making us fat and lazy and dependent on clever little solutions to make us more efficient? So we can spend that extra time working off all the debt we are accumulating and being enslaved by employers as well as the state?

The Mars rover is not a smart-phone. The space program is one of the few things on this forsaken planet that will give our half-witted species the type of perspective we need before we nuke half the face of the Earth off. Failing that, it's our only hope for having the ability to go somewhere else when we do total this rock, or more likely ourselves.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 9:00:51 PM
Just to let you all know, I'm one of (if not the most) leftists people on this site. I guess I don't post enough for everyone to know that :/
Rob
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 8:17:40 PM

It's a fake, being filmed in a studio somewhere here on earth. How ya gonna prove me wrong. Your just taking their word for it. No one can prove they sent anything to Mars.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 8:20:32 PM
At 8/13/2012 8:17:40 PM, sadolite wrote:

It's a fake, being filmed in a studio somewhere here on earth.
Bare assertion fallacy.
How ya gonna prove me wrong.
Appeal to ignorance.
Your just taking their word for it. No one can prove they sent anything to Mars.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 8:21:40 PM
At 8/6/2012 2:38:49 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Seriously, though, I'm very excited about this. I've read about some of the brand spankin' new equipment and techniques used for the landing, including some enormous parachutes and dangling the rover from wires like something out of Mission: Impossible. I can't wait to see what kind of findings come from this thing. God speed, little dude.

UH, a dry barren lifeless planet with nothing to offer human kind of any sort. That is what they will find. They have known this for decades, but I guess one last multi billion dollar probe just to be extra sure.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 11:56:01 AM
At 8/13/2012 8:21:40 PM, sadolite wrote:

UH, a dry barren lifeless planet with nothing to offer human kind of any sort. That is what they will find. They have known this for decades, but I guess one last multi billion dollar probe just to be extra sure.

Oh please sadolite it is well-understood that every dollar spent on space exploration returns 10 in terms of technological advancement. If you value that sort of thing :)
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 6:51:15 PM
At 8/14/2012 11:56:01 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Oh please sadolite it is well-understood that every dollar spent on space exploration returns 10 in terms of technological advancement. If you value that sort of thing :)

That used to be the case but not anymore. GPS was the last known benefit and that was a military venture. What pray tell will come from sending men to Mars that we can't achieve in low earth orbit. We can test everything in low earth orbit or a quick trip around the moon. The only reason to send things to Mars is to satisfy great big academic ego's. The vacuum of space is the vacuum of space. You don't need to travel a billion miles away to test stuff in space.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 6:56:30 PM

It's a fake, being filmed in a studio somewhere here on earth. How ya gonna prove me wrong. Your just taking their word for it. No one can prove they sent anything to Mars.

Nobody needs to prove you wrong. You are saying that I need to disprove a negative, which is just ridiculous. By your logic, anything that cannot be disproven is automatically correct ex. If I say that outside the known universe atoms are made from little tiny green goblins, I would be right.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 12:38:08 AM
At 8/14/2012 6:51:15 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 8/14/2012 11:56:01 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

That used to be the case but not anymore. GPS was the last known benefit and that was a military venture. What pray tell will come from sending men to Mars that we can't achieve in low earth orbit. We can test everything in low earth orbit or a quick trip around the moon. The only reason to send things to Mars is to satisfy great big academic ego's. The vacuum of space is the vacuum of space. You don't need to travel a billion miles away to test stuff in space.

That's pretty short-sighted... You can't imagine any way that it might be helpful for us to try and solve the problem of keeping humans alive for that journey?

I understand your problem with academia but a very large amount of people want this done and many consider it our ultimate goal as a species to branch out into space just like we branched out of Africa long ago. Standing in the way of space exploration is a fool's errand.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:20:11 PM
At 8/6/2012 8:59:20 AM, WMdebate wrote:
Very surprised this thing actually managed to land with that insane landing strategy. I was sure something would go wrong.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 10:44:48 AM
At 8/14/2012 6:56:30 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Nobody needs to prove you wrong. You are saying that I need to disprove a negative, which is just ridiculous. By your logic, anything that cannot be disproven is automatically correct ex. If I say that outside the known universe atoms are made from little tiny green goblins, I would be right.

Or that an old guy with a beard half as long as his body created the universe in six days and nights..... Oh right, they already have that...... Darn....
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

Pro hasn't upheld his BOP. He forfeited last round. I did stuff.
-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 10:46:32 AM
At 8/17/2012 10:44:48 AM, TheBossToss wrote:
At 8/14/2012 6:56:30 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Or that an old guy with a beard half as long as his body created the universe in six days and nights..... Oh right, they already have that...... Darn....

And said that he loved everybody and not to kill anybody...except witches, gay, heathen, enemies, blasphemers, people who work on a Sabbath, Muslims, slaves, poor, adulterous, or rebellious kinds.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."